A Grand in the Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard Keegan Bradley talk about a "low" point with a thousand bucks in the bank. My life is good now with way more than 1k in the bank, but my low points were 20$ to my name. This is not helping golf's image. I like him and think it was a great win. As Keanu Reeves would say, "Whoa."

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I dont think you're getting the context of the point. To a pro golfer who doesnt have a paycheck coming next week, a grand means one more Hooters tour missed cut and your career is over, period.

Think about it though. He probably had to pay for food (eating out, NOT cooking at home), lodging costs (gotta pay Tom Bodett), travel costs between tournaments, gotta pay for the caddy, and maybe other stuff that I would have no other idea about. Also, I think he mentioned that he had to borrow money from a friend when he was down to his last thousand for Q school (which costs several thousand which he couldn't afford), that was why he was stressed.

I got to play with him right after he finished college. He was working on his game getting ready for Q-School at Wheatley Hills in NY. Some members there set him up so he could practice. He was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. I became an instant fan. And I like the story that a kid without money can play his way to be the PGA champion in 2011. It leaves great hope for the future of the game.

I dont think you're getting the context of the point. To a pro golfer who doesnt have a paycheck coming next week, a grand means one more Hooters tour missed cut and your career is over, period.

Context is everything. As I said there are a lot of expenses that come with traveling the tour, when you are on the Hooters Tour or any of the other "minor leagues" out there it must be stressful. I'm sure that unless you are winning tournaments it's a struggle to stay out there for any length of time. I know that the Nationwide tournament here they have volunteers who let the players stay with them for the week to save money.

ZAP

New
It does not really matter to me what the dollar figure was. Sounds to me like he had to seriously consider finding another line of work. Good for him. That playoff was really fun to watch knowing both of them had a lot to gain from winning. I thought they both played great. Nothing even resembling a choke.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Dufner still walked away with close to a million.

That is 20 years pay for a school teacher.....and Dufner has a chance to win a closed participation lottery every week.

That is 20 years pay for a school teacher.....and Dufner has a chance to win a closed participation lottery every week.

Depending on where you work it's at least 25 years, and that's not net pay after pension contributions and insurance and taxes.......but who's counting;)

Yeah, I'm counting :p

Last edited:
A friend of mine I used to practice with finished 8th on the Hooters Tour one year. I said to the effect 'man, you made some good cash this year while the rest of the guys were losing their ass.' He replied 'after expenses I broke about dead even.'

This was '97 or so and I guess the Hooters Tour is a little more profitable for guys now...but I don't think it's that much different from back then. Still, being down to your last $1K is probably better than the lion's share of mini-tour players.

3JACK

Just a brief side note on my man Dufner---when he hit the PGA Tour for the first time and made some cash he bought his caddy a Corvette. I have seen him several times and actually hit balls next to him at the range at the RTJ Grand National course in Auburn. His demeanor is just what you saw on TV. Heard him on the Morning Drive Show this am and he is a pretty cool dude. Very low key. And good for Mr Bradley--like what I see from him as well. How about that finish after a triple bogey. It was nice to see 2 good guys at the top. Now back to the thread.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Oh, I am Dufner fan as well. I admit, I had a hard time deciding who to root for...ultimately my daughter made the decision for me, even at 8yrs. old she is the most rabid Auburn fan I have met....sad really.

Depending on where you work it's at least 25 years, and that's not net pay after pension contributions and insurance and taxes.......but who's counting;)

Yeah, I'm counting :p

You got in too late - should have been in when everyone was sucking the system dry. Know two 55 yr old retired teachers out here who take down 200K btw the two of them in retirement. You know how much $ a private employee has to make and save to kick off that much fixed income in retirement? More than what Dufner made. Also, scarcity has something to do with it too... less people can do what Dufner did.

Also, the comment JW made ab having a chance to win a closed participation lottery every week stinks of irony when you think about how much risk is taken on to get a chance at that money and especially in the context of talking about public employees that are part of a union. I don't see too many other professions that are more merit based than professional sports and less about boxing out those who come after them.

You got in too late - should have been in when everyone was sucking the system dry. Know two 55 yr old retired teachers out here who take down 200K btw the two of them in retirement. You know how much $ a private employee has to make and save to kick off that much fixed income in retirement? More than what Dufner made. Also, scarcity has something to do with it too... less people can do what Dufner did.

Also, the comment JW made ab having a chance to win a closed participation lottery every week stinks of irony when you think about how much risk is taken on to get a chance at that money and especially in the context of talking about public employees that are part of a union. I don't see too many other professions that are more merit based than professional sports and less about boxing out those who come after them.

I'm not sure how to reply to this without getting in trouble so I'll let it pass.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
JDMAC,

I was not comparing the two as being similar careers. I was having a bit of fun and not fully evaluating my statements like I would have had I been submitting them for serious academic critique. I appreciate you having no sense of humor and would encourage you to lighten up a bit.

I am a public school teacher and I teach Economics (teacher of the year a couple of times), so I understand fully the risk/reward, incentive, scarcity of which you speak. I contribute to a 401k as well as my retirement. I am not in a union and really hate what unions have done to the reputations of many fine teachers across the country,consequently, I actively lobby against them.

Somewhere around the 1930's teachers decided they needed to be recognized as professionals rather than the artists they really are. This movement did a lifetime of damage to teachers and they have consequently had a hard time recovering both financially and in repuation.

I did not come into coaching and teaching directly out of college. My degrees are actually in Finance and Economics. There are many fine teachers that do the best they can and still have to be talked down to by well meaning, yet clueless persons such as yourself.

Teachers are not clueless dumbasses, they are mostly playing with the hand they have been dealt and would do a much better job if left alone by greedy union leaders and politicians.

As such, I do see what you are saying and would agree with your assessment of the risk/incentive/scarcity of professional golf versus teaching.

Last edited:
JDMAC,

I was not comparing the two as being similar careers. I was having a bit of fun and not fully evaluating my statements like I would have had I been submitting them for serious academic critique. I appreciate you having no sense of humor and would encourage you to lighten up a bit.

I am a public school teacher and I teach Economics (teacher of the year a couple of times), so I understand fully the risk/reward, incentive, scarcity of which you speak. I contribute to a 401k as well as my retirement. I am not in a union and really hate what unions have done to the reputations of many fine teachers across the country,consequently, I actively lobby against them.

Somewhere around the 1930's teachers decided they needed to be recognized as professionals rather than the artists they really are. This movement did a lifetime of damage to teachers and they have consequently had a hard time recovering both financially and in repuation.

I did not come into coaching and teaching directly out of college. My degrees are actually in Finance and Economics. There are many fine teachers that do the best they can and still have to be talked down to by well meaning, yet clueless persons such as yourself.

As such, I do see what you are saying and would agree with your assessment of the risk/incentive of professional golf versus teaching.

Teachers are not clueless dumbasses, they are mostly playing with the hand they have been dealt and would do a much better job if left alone by greedy union leaders and politicians.

Apologies for getting serious on you Jared and the forum; my tone and the content was certainly out of the context of the good fun that is the great game of golf and this forum. Guess your statement hit a hot button particularly your statement that Dufner got to participate in some rigged closed lottery every week which is unfair and untrue - that said it was childish for me to respond in the way that i did.

PS - i never said teachers were clueless dumbasses - some are brilliant, some are, as a matter of fact, clueless dumbasses (just like any in any profession)... sounds like both of us would love to get the clueless dumbasses out and more of the teachers of the year in. Keep up the good work fighting the good fight and apologies for taking this off topic. Sincere apologies - be well.

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
To be sure there are some that are bad. I want them removed as badly as anyone. I never intended to come off as sounding like Dufner was a part of something rigged. To be sure the hard work, patience and skill have given him the opportunity to effectively win a lottery every week and that is a good thing! Merit should be rewarded.

No harm done. We'll keep moving forward.

Apologies for getting serious on you Jared and the forum; my tone and the content was certainly out of the context of the good fun that is the great game of golf and this forum. Guess your statement hit a hot button particularly your statement that Dufner got to participate in some rigged closed lottery every week which is unfair and untrue - that said it was childish for me to respond in the way that i did.

PS - i never said teachers were clueless dumbasses - some are brilliant, some are, as a matter of fact, clueless dumbasses... sounds like both of us would love to get the clueless dumbasses out and more of the teachers of the year in. Keep up the good work fighting the good fight and apologies for taking this off topic. Sincere apologies - be well.

He didn't say it was rigged.

I will defer to those who know but I will say I hear it isn't easy for the "up and comers" to push aside the older "hanging on" guys in golf either. The system is set up to offer protection to the players who have been exempt in the past.

There are "clueless dumbasses" in all walks of life. A lot of political rhetoric these days makes teachers out to be the root of all problems in the country which is incredibly unfair. I didn't cause the financial crisis in this country yet I have to pay for it and I get the blame too. It's a touchy subject for teachers when they are hear that they "suck the system dry" as you said.

I'd like to know where your teacher friends worked to clear 200K in guaranteed public retirement. I won't go into all of the specifics but knowing what I know I have no idea how it is possible, unless they were high level administrators which is a different animal all together. Even then that's a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, this is where I'm coming from. I don't begrudge anyone who can command the kind of money that pro athletes make. The market dictates it. I tried to bring some humor (hence the smilies in my post) to the fact that I will never earn that kind of money. I didn't say it to make a political statement about the unfairness blah blah that some might. If I wanted to make gobs of money I would have done something else. About the only thing I'm good at and enjoy doing though is teaching middle and high school students to make music and make it listenable by most who hear it.

OK, now that I have that off my chest, how awesome must it be to go from wondering if you can stay on the Hooters tour and two years later people are talking about you as PGA Tour player of the year?

To be sure there are some that are bad. I want them removed as badly as anyone. I never intended to come off as sounding like Dufner was a part of something rigged. To be sure the hard work, patience and skill have given him the opportunity to effectively win a lottery every week and that is a good thing! Merit should be rewarded.

No harm done. We'll keep moving forward.

I'm all for it. Of course I'm coming from the angle and the belief that I would get rewarded.:cool:

Back to your regularly scheduled programing ;)

old she is the most rabid Auburn fan I have met....sad really.

Sad is an understatement. Your head coach is a major dick. I'm obviously not a fan of his previous team but what he did to them was crappy. I hope Auburn and it's pretty boy trophy winner get busted.

PS Much respect for a player going out there trying their best with just a grand in the bank. I would think many would give up by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.