A lefty swinging righty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my lesson a couple years ago with Brian (money well spent), he put me into the soft draw pattern (wasn't released yet). The big thing that he had me work on is the ball throwing drill from youtube 8. We tried the underhand javelin, but I couldn't make it work because I'm a lefty swinging righty. Well, after much work (plus some much needed time off) I'm back at it. Backswing is good but I'm struggling with my right arm again. What happening now is the my right arm is cutting out just before impact, so I can't close the clubface enough and I end up with a fade. I don't really care what ballflight I hit as long as I know that's what it's easier for me to do. So, does anyone have any insight into this? Things I should try? Try a different pattern? Stay with the fade? I just don't see myself ever being able to consistently have any control with my right hand.

I don't know how old you are, but when I was 15 I switched from righty to my naturally gifted side (lefty) and never looked back. If you think that will be to hard... you may just have to learn the fade inside and out.

Ok, so my lesson a couple years ago with Brian (money well spent), he put me into the soft draw pattern (wasn't released yet). The big thing that he had me work on is the ball throwing drill from youtube 8. We tried the underhand javelin, but I couldn't make it work because I'm a lefty swinging righty. Well, after much work (plus some much needed time off) I'm back at it. Backswing is good but I'm struggling with my right arm again. What happening now is the my right arm is cutting out just before impact, so I can't close the clubface enough and I end up with a fade. I don't really care what ballflight I hit as long as I know that's what it's easier for me to do. So, does anyone have any insight into this? Things I should try? Try a different pattern? Stay with the fade? I just don't see myself ever being able to consistently have any control with my right hand.

I am also a lefty playing righty. I am in my 60s and my ballflight is fade. I think I, myself, will focus on learning how to swing a consistent fade. Which video will help me the most? I am just a starter and shooting in the high 90s.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm a natural lefty (in everything) that plays golf righty. I can fade it or draw it without much trouble. Zarro, let me know if you want to work on it.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
For lefties, I like the image of a frisbee throw across your chest with the left hand finishing 'wedding ring up'!

If you have ever watched a rugby game, the 'toss' is very similiar to a pass to your left.

Sorry to butt in like this but I am also a lefty playing right hand golf. Just came back from the range and it looks like I am never gonna be ever good at this game.

Hope U can bear with me a bit. I am now 44 and has been playing (or attempting to play) for 5 years now and has never broken 95. Have taken lessons initially during the 1st year and no repeat lessons since then.

I have Building Blocks, COFF, NHA2 and SD in my collection and has been trying to work on NHA2 lately. My normal ball flight is mostly a pull to the left with an occasional snap hook hence NHA2.

Anyway over on the range today I tried a bit of NHA2 and COFF hitting down on the ball. I do not seem to be able to get a flushed impact at all (has been a problem since my early days until now) and hitting a 7 iron barely carried 110 metres (about 120 yards or so). Could not even hit my driver today :mad:

When impact sounded flushed, I looked up and the ball was flying with a soft fade to the right but again the same distance. But that happens about 1 in 10 shots.

Perhaps you can guide me on the correct training path. Do I need to consider distance vs ball flight? What would be a good ball flight for a lefty playing right? Hopefully I can improve further after clearing all those doubts in my mind that I am having right now.

Thanks.

For lefties, I like the image of a frisbee throw across your chest with the left hand finishing 'wedding ring up'!

If you have ever watched a rugby game, the 'toss' is very similiar to a pass to your left.

Errrm... when I toss a frisbee across the chest, it usually ends up with my wedding ring facing the ground if I am to have any flight at all. Just went out and tried it with a frisbee and sure enough the ring is facing the ground, not the other way around.

Edit: Just viewed Confessions again and the whole swing the towel drill made me realised what I was doing wrong. Although I am sure that I was not flipping the club, at the same time I was not releasing it resulting in weak shots. Swinging the towel against the wall made me realise that. Will go down to the range tomorrow to try it out.

Last edited:
This from a lefty playing right handed golf. Here's the cure and you won't believe how simple it is. And no golf instructor ever mentions it. Reverse Overlap Grip. Put all the fingers of your right hand on the club, overlap the left index finger, and marvel at the wonderful result.

Status
Not open for further replies.