Advice on The Carry (now with Brian Manzella video on "The Carry")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I discovered The Matrix I was using a rotary type action and playing OK. My misses tended to be hooks. Then I discovered soft draw and NHA and have had a lot of success shooting mid 80's low 90's. (HCP 13.5.)

I use NHA when I want to play left to right, or if there's trouble left.

So.... I played in a fundraiser tournament with an NCAA college player yesterday and when I asked him to comment on my game (shot 4 over in a "shamble" format using best ball off the tee and my own ball in) he said I was coming over the top on a few of my swings. I explained this was to not hook the ball and he advised against it. He shot a 67 off his own ball from the tips.

My questions: can the carry move get you in trouble? Was I over doing it? Why is it "all important?"

I love Brian's saying, by the way, "Play with what ya got, but move toward orthodox."

Can't wait for Baby Cut.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Some people have trouble with the carry because they are not allowing their arms to drop some before they rotate. If you don't do this you will end up above plane by a bunch. The carry is "all important" is because the carry move is what keeps someone from getting remotely below plane and swinging too inside/out.

Thanks Jim. I think I was trying to keep my arms high (hold the umbrella) as I carried. Blending the carry with a little arm drop is the way to go, huh?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim. I think I was trying to keep my arms high (hold the umbrella) as I carried. Blending the carry with a little arm drop is the way to go, huh?

IMO yes; as brian says in the video actually PRACTICE the drop a few times. Make a backswing and then just let your arms drop to the ground. Do this a few times THEN when u r ready do the same thing but catch the drop with your pivot on the ball.

Jim, excellent tip. I understood the carry to take place at the top of the swing before the drop. Probably my bad interpretation of the video.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, excellent tip. I understood the carry to take place at the top of the swing before the drop. Probably my bad interpretation of the video.

I'll have to watch the video again, however when i'm teaching NHA and even performing the pattern you need to let the drop happen a bit and then catch it with the pivot.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Carry

<!-- START FreeVideoCoding.com -->
<embed src="http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzella/.Movies/thecarry.wmv" width="320" height="283" autostart="0" showcontrols="1" type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/"> </embed>
<!-- END FreeVideoCoding.com -->

When people at the range ask me what I am working on, I tell them the carry, otherwise I can't get to the yellow brick road. Strange looks ensue, but the carry really has enabled me to compress the ball well, prevents me from going underplane and has added a lot of speed to the swing. It is a component that is now one of the main keys to my swing. Most pop instructors would define the carry as over the top and would never reccomend such a move. I wish I was told about it twenty years ago. I went from a player who shot consistently 88-94 to 78-84 after getting this concept off NHA2. It is remarkably easy to learn from this dvd and is the only instruction on DVD available for players who swing underplane.

<!-- START FreeVideoCoding.com -->
<embed src="http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzella/.Movies/thecarry.wmv" width="320" height="283" autostart="0" showcontrols="1" type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/"> </embed>
<!-- END FreeVideoCoding.com -->

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqS8s1E2at0&feature=related[/media]

YES YES YES!!!!!!!! THE FREAKIN CARRY!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!! IT's TAKEN ME FOREVER BUT I SAID HELLO TO THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD!!!!!!!!

WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!

Can't see video

I have just changed over to a Mac and get the following message when I try to see Brian's post,

The page “Advice on The Carry (now with Brian Manzella video on "The Carry") - Brian Manzella Golf Forum” has content of MIME type “application/x-mplayer2”, but you don’t have a plug-in for this MIME type. This page may have the plug-in for you to download and install:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/

Anyone know how I can view it ?
Thanks,
Ray

I have a Macbook and the video popped open in quicktime not on the webpage. Maybe due to Windows media player overriding the quicktime settings....

Yeah, I have a Macbook also and couldn't get it to work despite going to the recommended page and adding a couple downloads. Weird, I usually have no problem with any videos here.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I describe the carry to students like this. When you're at the top of your swing, imagine your butt end is resting against a wall. Either your club goes down the wall via axis tilt or drop -or- it goes away from the wall via a "counterfall".

Am a devoted Bmanz follower but this carry thing has me confused. You can stand back about 50 yards behind the first tee and watch duffers tee off. They don't need any carry. They already carry and then cut right across the ball. This carry thing must be aimed at your better player because my group already carries and the ball goes left and slices. My group would benefit more from Bmanz earlier advice to drop the club and let pivot catch the club. Good player carry, Duffer drop.
Paul

It's for guys like me who are serial underplaners/inside outers and who NEED some carry. This move has helped me immensely.

I have a Macbook and the video popped open in quicktime not on the webpage. Maybe due to Windows media player overriding the quicktime settings....

I am useing Safari web browser , I don't know if this makes a difference ?

I get this message too .. "Safari can’t find the Internet plug-in".

Yeah, I have a Macbook also and couldn't get it to work despite going to the recommended page and adding a couple downloads. Weird, I usually have no problem with any videos here.

It is the first time I have had any problem also, hope we can get it sorted out, I don't want to have to go back to a PC ;)

Catching the drop has given me a great iron swing this summer. I've never hit my irons like this. I went from killing it from the top to a lazy fall from the top that has produced long, high, and accurate shots (with less effort). I think there's a little carry in there as well, but my iron swing is so on I don't think about anything so it's hard to describe it. I just aim and swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.