Afternoons with Mr. Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone read this book yet? I picked it up at Barnes and Noble the other night and read a little of it. Curious what y'all have to say about Jody Vasquez's take on what he claims Hogan told him the 'secret' was. Apparently it had soemthing to do with cupping the left wrist at the top and the right knee. Dont ask me to go into detail because I cant remember everything he said in the book. The other stuff i read in there was pretty interesting. About how Mr. Vasquez would go out with Mr Hogan and shag balls for him.

The book is a nice read, especially if you are a Hogan fan. Hogan, however, had many secrets not just cupping the left wrist and driving the right knee forward and to the ball.

This can't be the secret. If this was the Hogan secret, then Hogan was an idiot and I KNOW he wasn't an idiot. More is required to the golf swing than cupping the wrist and flexing the right knee. Those two things don't even have anything to do with impact...or motion for that matter. Those two things actually are the opposite of what Brian teaches.

Burner

New
quote: Pronation is what he called his secret. In the hitting area, his left forearm, or possibly his entire left arm, uncoiled. This got him inside the ball and gave him snap.
Harvey Penick: The Wisdom of Harvey Penick.

We hear of various "secrets" but this one has a ring of truth to it. Mr Penick played with the great one and got the word direct from him, it seems.

About 20 yrs ago, I saw a small advertisement for Schlee's golf school in the back of a golf mag. It had a pic of him demoing "hands ahead" for a student - it looked like Brian's logo.

Brianman wrote' "anyone ever read Maximum Golf by John Schlee?"

Schlee gives all the credit for his swing to Hogan. The spiral binder contains alot of good info, but was considered strange, because Schlee was told by Hogan to start his swing from an impact position (impact fix) rather than standard address with club mid-body, something that Hogan never did.
Schlee, considered by many as an "odd duck" pasted away a year or two ago.

Brianman wrote, "For the LAST TIME...his secret was going from cupped to arched..."

Take it from one extreme to another. Do everything you can to hit the ball to the right: grip, pronation, bending the left wrist at the top, using clubs with lie angle design to hit it to the right as well as grips put on the club rotated counterclockwise, excessively stiff shafts, etc.......then try to hook the hell out of it....result, a nice little fade.

EdZ

New
His secret was that he understood the 'rotation point' and the 'mirror point' was the true 'on plane' part of the swing, and that the left thumb was a key part of that point

the right knee, the cup, the thumb - all LAG

That his waggle was key - because it let him find that mirror point/rotation point and ensure that the wrist motion was ON PLANE

That the more you understand plane, and how to apply force ON PLANE the better - all hinge actions relate directly to the mirror point (hitter) or rotation point (swinger)

That point is the tip of THE magic triangle, and why the 'straps' are such a good training aid

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

His secret was that he understood the 'rotation point' and the 'mirror point' was the true 'on plane' part of the swing, and that the left thumb was a key part of that point

the right knee, the cup, the thumb - all LAG

That his waggle was key - because it let him find that mirror point/rotation point and ensure that the wrist motion was ON PLANE

That the more you understand plane, and how to apply force ON PLANE the better - all hinge actions relate directly to the mirror point (hitter) or rotation point (swinger)

That point is the tip of THE magic triangle, and why the 'straps' are such a good training aid

Straps, no way !

Hogan's secret and he has more of them then Michael Jackson, is his ability to shift his weight from the inside of his right leg to the inside of his left leg and visa versa.

EdZ

New
Hogan used the straps when teaching... so what does that tell you?

And he used them on the knees too, which gives the result you speak of (weight shift on the insides of the feet).

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

Hogan used the straps when teaching... so what does that tell you?

And he used them on the knees too, which gives the result you speak of (weight shift on the insides of the feet).

Hogan might be too kinky for me then.

I dont think Hogan went to bed at night worrying if he was a good teacher or a so-so teacher. Brian, it sounds like that clinic was about as boring as some of the meetings I have to go to during the day. :)

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

I went to a clinic Monday where the guy said Hogan was a so-so teacher...

BUNK...

ask Kris T.

Has Tschetter written much about her experience learning from Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.