Aligning putts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a line on my ball and use that to align my putts. The problem is a lot of the times I'll for some reason aim slightly to the left. Obviously, most of my misses are to the left. Are my eyes bad or what? Any good tips or tricks? Thanks

PS Putting was by far the worst part of my game last year (besides the hooks :( )

I put a line on my ball and use that to align my putts. The problem is a lot of the times I'll for some reason aim slightly to the left. Obviously, most of my misses are to the left. Are my eyes bad or what? Any good tips or tricks? Thanks

PS Putting was by far the worst part of my game last year (besides the hooks :( )

Are you saying that when you aim the line on the ball with the target from behind the ball you still line it up left?

Or, are you saying that when you look down on the ball (at address) 'after' you have aimed the line at your target, you adjust your putter head to aim more left than the line?

IIRC there has been some research that indicates eye dominance and putter style effect aim quite a bit.

Last edited:
The first that you mentioned. I align the ball thinking that it's looking dead at the hole. But when I step back and take a look it's pointy slightly left. I've been putting on my practice mat and I can't remember a putt that I missed right. If I miss it's LEFT.

The first that you mentioned. I align the ball thinking that it's looking dead at the hole. But when I step back and take a look it's pointy slightly left. I've been putting on my practice mat and I can't remember a putt that I missed right. If I miss it's LEFT.

That's an odd one! I did read somewhere that when a player plumb bobs, it can make a big difference using only your dominant eye and holding the putter with the hand on the same side as your dominant eye. (ie: if your left eye dominant, only plumb bob with your left hand holding up the club)

Maybe you could try centering your dominant eye behind the ball when you aim the line at the target and see if it makes a difference. Possibly your vision with both eyes is skewed left a little?

This sounds like a problem for a vision expert.

I want to hear the Brian Manzella Method for Aiming Putts.

Please don't say, "you'll have to wait for my putting matrix video..."

Make sure you have a "straight gaze." You should look directly out your eyes at the ball, not at all down your cheeks.

So instead of just my eyes moving back and forth my head needs to go with my eyes. Because if I don't move my head, I'll need to "down my cheeks" at the ball. Am I on the right track?

Curtisj76

I too have been marking a line on my ball for putting for about the last 3 months now and unless I'm having a REALLY bad day I never 3 putt so stick with it!!

I also found that I would often align the line off to one side from up close (yes also left), that was unil I made very sure I was centered behind the ball while aligning it.
I found it very easy to be off centre, and had to make a conscious effort to ensure I had a dead straigh line through myself through the ball to the hole, then when I stood back to check I was usually much closer to where I wanted to be aligned.

Naturally I will sometimes adjust slightly if I feel I haven't allowed for the break correctly.

The biggest thing I found was that once I stood over the ball I always felt like I was going WAAAYYY left, but once I convinced myself to trust it and make a straight stroke on the line my number of putts dropped dramatically :D

Yeah, I'm not ready to give up the line yet. Last summer I used the little "arrow type thingy" on a Calloway ball and I putted lights out. Putting well is just (ok, almost) as fun as driving well. I just need to find a consistent way to line it up correctly.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I want to hear the Brian Manzella Method for Aiming Putts.

Please don't say, "you'll have to wait for my putting matrix video..."

I have about five different ways that are good.

Here is one:

Assuming you know where to aim....

1. Don't use a line on the ball. Research shows it huts more than helps.

2. Stand behind the ball and look back and forth from your AIM SPOT to your ball. Don't tilt your head.

3. Look at the target for the last time for 3 seconds.

4. Trace the line back to the ball.

5. LOOK AT THE BALL AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE, while you walk into to your stance area, and put the putter down aiming where you REMEMBER the line to be.

6. No, I am not kidding.

7. Set your stance to the putter.

8. Look at the target and make sure you aren't aiming off the planet.

9. Look back and the ball and putt.

10. Tell the caddie to get the ball out of the hole

I don't use the line on the ball. I use the putterface. Using the line on the ball gets me too focused on aim and I do not get as sharp with the speed. Speed is so key, IMO. I look at it like if I prepare myself properly, I can get the speed of the greens down on anyday. And if my aim is a little off, as long as I have good touch/speed, I'll be left with tap ins. But if the aim is on, I could go low that day.

I'm blessed with 20/20 vision in both eyes, but when it comes to alignment, it's a grueling task of keeping myself aligned properly. Again, great vision...but I'm the Stevie Wonder equivalent to alignment.

3JACK

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have anymore info on this? Very interesting.

Thanks Brian

I'm not sure if Brian wants to allow me to post it, but David Orr's putting studies (almost 700 subjects ranging from high handicapper to tour pros) have shown that the amount it helps is pretty marginal and can hurt a lot of people.

It's sort of the concept behind the Edel putters which want you to learn how to aim using the putter instead of using the ball.

3JACK

Burner

New
What you see is what you get.

So, if you align yourself correctly according to what you see and then make a good stroke and miss, you just did not see it right.

It is not too hard to make a good putting stroke but there is a real skill in reading greens and that is where to direct your attention.

Nice useful list Brian...

Here is one:

2. Stand behind the ball and look back and forth from your AIM SPOT to your ball. Don't tilt your head.

5. LOOK AT THE BALL AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE, while you walk into to your stance area, and put the putter down aiming where you REMEMBER the line to be.

6. No, I am not kidding.

Nice useful list Brian, few things I'm not currently doing on the list so I will try them out.

For #2, you said don't tilt your head. Does that mean you move your eyeballs?

For #3, I get a feeling it's more for distance control than aiming...am I right? If not, please explain briefly how it works.

Here is one:

6. No, I am not kidding.

Very good, interesting list. Can't wait to see the 4 other ways.

(Good work Leo TZ...! :D)

On #1.....I take it your eyes tell you something different than the line is telling you once you are over the ball?

I've always thought putting pre-shot.........and aiming techniques.......is one of the most nuances parts of the game. I still have a lot to sort out (experiment with) with this.

Tiger seems to go through a lot before he hits a putt. I've never studied his routine closely but I think I will sometime.

curved vs straight line?

Very good, interesting list. Can't wait to see the 4 other ways.

(Good work Leo TZ...! :D)
Yea, I would love to hear about the others ways too. Maybe do a weekly installment thing ;)...

When I stand over the ball for a curved putt, I've been told that it's better to imagine putting to a straight line to your Aim Spot. But I've always struggled to do this because it's much easier for me to see a curved line into the hole. Do you guys think I should continue trying to see the straight line or what??

I have to test or integrate both ways more still. I presume it also is an individual thing.

Whatever works best Leo!!

BTW am I the only one who thinks line is more important than speed?

Just a theory of course cause I am not a pro, yet. (;))

But really...I have a theory that in preshot and concerning my setup I can give most of my attention to finding a balance between:

-getting a good handle on my line and doing everything I can to ensure I am lined up properly
-getting into a state where I can execute freely and my mind can mostly take care of distance control without extra conscious efforts on speed itself

(i.e. rather than consciously focusing too much on speed, esp. during the moment of execution)

Call me crazy...(someone probably will)...it has worked well enough so far...it is still in testing though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.