Aligning putts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birdman. Sure when things work for you regarding putting stick with them!! The only thing though is it would seem to work best with shorter, flat and straight putts. When you have longer, sidehill up and down putts your "feel" for distance will have to be more in focus or you could miss you putt badly! You may have a toss like ability to feel that distance that helps you on those. Some don't have that feel in their hands like a student of mine. Hammer hands! Has to keep distance closely in her mind.

I use the line/label on the ball.

Here's what I know:

When used only "once in awhile", lining up putts with the label or a line on the ball makes things worse - much worse - because 99% of golfers out there have terrible aim with a putter. When you line up the label once in a blue moon and align the putterface to it, most golfers just can't believe that they are aimed correctly, so they compensate for their new alignment (consciously or uncounsciously) but their alignment was actually correct for a pure stroke, so the compensatory move leads to more missed putts.

I know. I was one of those golfers for many, many years. I stood over 3 foot putts and had no certainty where I was aimed. I made more putts without the line. I used to position the ball so I didn't see any markings on the ball - all I wanted to see was a pure white dimpled ball looking up at me. I wasn't what you would call a good putter, though, especially for my skill level.

Last golf season I made a modification to my putting routine. I decided that if I missed a putt, I wanted to know a.) was it a bad read b.) was it a bad stroke c.) was it bad alignment. d.) was it bad speed

I could immediately remove option c from any and all missed putts if I knew exactly where my putterface was aimed before I hit the putt. The only way to do that is to line up the label with your intended starting direction, and to do so precisely, with discipline, every time. Your body becomes accustomed to the new, correct alignment.

You can watch the label on the ball to determine if there was any "wobble" on the roll of the ball. That way you'll know if you didn't strike the putt purely. When your objective becomes to "put a good roll on it", your stroke evens itself out, compensations are eliminated, and pretty soon factor "b:" from above (bad strokes) are eliminated.

Assuming you get a pure end-over-end roll with the label on the ball, the only way you can miss a putt is by not hitting it the right speed or misreading the putt. You willl, over time, become better at reading greens (factor "a:" from above), because you will know exactly how you were aimed before you struck the putt, and then you are getting usable feedback on every putt. You are not left guessing which of the four factors (a, b, c or d) led to the missed putt.

When used on EVERY putt over the length of a tap-in, the line becomes theraputic. You can have confidence in knowing that you are aimed correctly for your intended starting direction, and it frees up the golfer to focus on speed.

It has helped me immensely. It wasn't easy at first, but I stuck with it. I use the line / label on the ball on every putt now. I am a consistently good putter now.

I didn't make this stuff up - it's all in the Dave Pelz putting bible. Knowing where you are aimed before you strike a putt is paramount to becoming a better putter. Even though I don't putt with a Pelz straight-back straight-through stroke, his thesis is correct - you cannot become a better putter if you don't know why you missed a particular putt. You will forever be in compensation land.

P.S.
Just about everyone on tour does this. The next time they show Tiger's putt from the
72nd hole at last year's US Open, look for the true end over end roll of the label on the ball.

Birdman. Sure when things work for you regarding putting stick with them!! The only thing though is it would seem to work best with shorter, flat and straight putts. When you have longer, sidehill up and down putts your "feel" for distance will have to be more in focus or you could miss you putt badly! You may have a toss like ability to feel that distance that helps you on those. Some don't have that feel in their hands like a student of mine. Hammer hands! Has to keep distance closely in her mind.

It's true. Some putts speed is crucial. Lag putts, slippery ones.
You have to be aware of it for sure especially on those.

Who knows man...I have lots to sort out. :)

Between lateness, doing this on a Wii (slowly), and a general desire to tackle this idea later (and in practice), this is not a time when I want to analyse too deeply! (really)

aaron_lohan would be proud of me. :);)

I guess though I basically mean it is probably tougher to quantify feel for distance than it is to line up well. So I've tried to mostly let my mind take care of it for me. And find ways to tap into/enhance that sense.

Good topic though eh Bolt.

Last edited:
Btw it's true vj he lined that sucker up. (with A line)

Interesting how the research would seem to say people struggle doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.