alignment. . .alignment. . .alignment. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing poorly for a couple of months, and finally have come to realize that it's mainly my alignment. Body aligned 50 yards to the left isn't the best way to set up (at least not for me). No wonder I was hooking it off the planet.

Anyway, the last few "dry spells" I've hit have mainly been due to poor alignment. The last one before this (over a year ago) I was aligned way too far right. I suppose I have over compensated.

Here's my question. . .how many of you have had a similar experience?

While I am sure I will not always play great if my alignment is correct, I am pretty confident that I can keep it respectful. Perhaps my time is best spent practicing alignment and set up. Anyone have any tips to keep my hips and shoulders somewhere in the neighborhood of the target?

I do know this, I must be more deliberate with aim and alignment.

I battle this too, I have found the "zorro" method works well to pick the intermediate target.... and to line up that target 3 foot in front of you is MUCH easier than the flag 150 yards away.. the zorro for me is to take my grip and hold the club like a sword and line up to the flag from behind the ball then pick spmething out on that same line in front of the ball.
(Richie3jack can explain the zorro better if needed )......

also on tee shots I use the "label line" on the ball to line up to the target.....just like putting

Burner

New
I've been playing poorly for a couple of months, and finally have come to realize that it's mainly my alignment. Body aligned 50 yards to the left isn't the best way to set up (at least not for me). No wonder I was hooking it off the planet.

Anyway, the last few "dry spells" I've hit have mainly been due to poor alignment. The last one before this (over a year ago) I was aligned way too far right. I suppose I have over compensated.

Here's my question. . .how many of you have had a similar experience?

While I am sure I will not always play great if my alignment is correct, I am pretty confident that I can keep it respectful. Perhaps my time is best spent practicing alignment and set up. Anyone have any tips to keep my hips and shoulders somewhere in the neighborhood of the target?

I do know this, I must be more deliberate with aim and alignment.

Just a little thought for you to consider.

Most of us line up OK but we aim at the wrong thing - the ultimate destination of the ball; the target. This leaves a very small margin of error. A straight shot requires real precision.

Chose a path that you would like your ball to start on in the knowledge that your shot shape will, most likely, get it there or thereabouts.

Try to avoid any attempt at steering the ball at your target and just swing through it.

It's been my experience that golfers often line up off line. However, for many of the guys I have played with over the years they are aiming that way to compensate for their swing, or the other way around. I think the most common tendency is to line up closed.

There is a the very old method of taking address and then holding shaft touching both thighs, then front of shoulders to make a guess at alignments.
Another is testing to determine whether you can see your lead shoulder. If you can then your shoulder line may be closed. The best way is to find a friend who understands alignment and take turns on the range doing alignment feedback.

I was doing this yesterday with a friend who showed up at the practice area. We watch each other and both know enough to sometimes be helpful.
Alignment is one topic, we both line up pretty well. The interesting one is where did the hands stop on the backswing. What feels like 9:00 is more like 11:00.

dbl

New
Why not practice at the range with a "station" -2 clubs, one at the toe line and the other perpendicular...usually at the ball position.

Get used to proper lineup at the range and it should spill over to the course.

I left that out. Brain cramp. You do have to be careful that even though your feet are aligned, your shoulders may not be. My experience with the perpendicular club thing for ball position is that after one nice divot you have to move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.