Amount of Bend in Right Wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that I start at address from a classical position with right wrist flat, how much bend should the right wrist have in the backswing? Also, where in backswing should that bend begin and end? How much of the bend in the right wrist is retained at impact?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great question....m

The 'by-the-book' crowd says never bend it anymore than impact fix amount.

I say bend it as much as you can and KEEP as much as you can.

Brian - great statement and the FIRST instructor I've ever heard say that. I actually like to increase Right Wrist Bend at release. This is one of those rare cases where more is better.

Thanks for the answer(s). I tend to bend more than impact fix on the backswing than lose too much by impact. Not what a hitter should do (i think!). I'll keep practicing.....

For me the more wrist bend the better,maybe,for better younger
golfers impact fix is enough,but, I think for less accomplished
bend the wrist max on the back swing. "Your mileage may very"

EdZ

New
If you 'actually' add more than at fix, you have to go 'down' after the ball, or hit it thin - moving your center. This will make the feel of a 'low right shoulder' quite obvious.

Pro

New
If you bend more than impact fix, what is the point of impact fix? you have changed your alignments that you have set up for, are you just then hoping for a ball flight that is acceptable with the different alignments?
Remember fix is for fixing in mind the exact relationship of every single component, not merely a vague approximation of the clubface alignment.
I believe the point of increasiing bend would be to prevent throwaway prior to impact but if you just do it right, you do not have to worry about that now do you?
If you like more bend, set it a fix and keep it, much more reliable than increasing and decreasing and trying to figure where it will be at impact.

Todd

Ed,

I don't do an Impact Fix.

Pro,

Increasing bend won't prevent Left Wrist Cock throwaway, but it does help insure getting to the inside aft quadrant.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

Ed,

I don't do an Impact Fix.

Pro,

Increasing bend won't prevent Left Wrist Cock throwaway, but it does help insure getting to the inside aft quadrant.

When you do it isn't the point, IF you do it you are changing the distance from center, which isn't a huge issue if you are moving DOWN, but if center is stable, you'll thin it.

When I do what? There's only one time for an Impact Fix. If I did an Impact Fix, it would be as exact to actual Impact Condition as I could mimic.

EdZ

New
MJ - do you lower your center during your swing? If so, yes, you can increase the right wrist bend beyond what it 'would' have been had you taken an impact fix. If not, you would thin the ball IF you had more right wrist bend at impact than at impact fix (taken or not). The more you bend the right wrist, the more you shorten the clubHEAD's actual radius, the direction of force always continues downplane to both arms straight regardless of the angle in the right wrist.

Erik_K

New
Ed's comments make sense. You see this all the time with people who release early. They typically 'stand up' at impact because the club got 'longer' early in the downswing and if they didn't come out of their posture, the club would be burried in the ground behind the ball.

What Ed is claiming is the reverse case.

Ed - sounds like you aren't carefully reading what I write. If I took an Impact Fix, it would include the whatever amount of Right Wrist Bend that I end up with at Impact, not having done an Impact Fix.

quote:Originally posted by Pro

If you bend more than impact fix, what is the point of impact fix? you have changed your alignments that you have set up for, are you just then hoping for a ball flight that is acceptable with the different alignments?
Remember fix is for fixing in mind the exact relationship of every single component, not merely a vague approximation of the clubface alignment.
I believe the point of increasiing bend would be to prevent throwaway prior to impact but if you just do it right, you do not have to worry about that now do you?
If you like more bend, set it a fix and keep it, much more reliable than increasing and decreasing and trying to figure where it will be at impact.

Todd

That makes sense to me (for my swing and myself, anyway)

As a method to avoid the slice, I think bending the right wrist straight back on the backswing (would this be the twistaway...or like Appleby maybe?) is a great solution.

For me, power is inconsistent and I hit hooks. My swing style is not suited to it though, that's all. I have had periods where it has worked, but I have hit a pronounced draw. Mostly good power, the issue is more that the draw gets out of control.

I am experimenting using it for punch shots and short irons to keep it low w/o the tendency to hit to the right. I find that I do not hook it so much with short irons/punches and it is easier to keep it low.

The way I see it, if you use a long iron (with the ball forward in your stance) it would be unnatural to not have a small bend in the lead wrist (would this be called 'mid-body hands'?). For me it also helps in sweeping the ball, hitting it higher, and not hooking it- I play a slight push. These traits, if you ask me, are all desireable in longer clubs.

On the other hand, I have now been thinking that as you move the ball backwards in your stance (with short irons and punch shots) it would be more natural to have less bend in your lead wrist (which would add bend to the rear wrist). With this I use a slightly different takeaway (more suited to this setup). My wrist alignment is then slightly different at the top...my left wrist is completely flat (with longer clubs it has a slight bend) and the clubface is pointing to the sky (more closed). This helps hit down on the ball, keep it lower, and avoids turning my slight push into a huge push (hard for me to square the clubface with the ball so far back).

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Again....

The amount of people that I have taught golf to = 10,000 DIFFERENT GOLFERS

The amount of people that I have taught golf to
who have TOO MUCH RIGHTWRIST BEND AT IMPACT = 50 DIFFERENT GOLFERS

????!

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

Brian - great statement and the FIRST instructor I've ever heard say that. I actually like to increase Right Wrist Bend at release. This is one of those rare cases where more is better.

No worries MJ, I misread the above as you trying to increase your right wrist bend through impact.

do you prefer a completely flat left wrist at impact, or some arch?

Status
Not open for further replies.