An afternoon with Moe Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wally Uihlein, President and Chief Executive Officer, of Titleist saw an article in The Wall Street Journal about my discovery of a new type of golf swing. The article mentioned that it was similar to Moe Norman's and that Moe was under contract with my company "Natural Golf".

I had promised Moe that if he signed an exclusive with me, that I would see that he would never have to worry about his finances again. Mr. Uihlein had one of his vice-presidents do some checking on Moe's financial status and found that he was just barely making ends meet with his clinics and a small contract from Natural Golf. As Moe was under an exclusive contract with Natural Golf at the time, Mr. Uihlein contacted me about meeting at the 1995 PGA show for discussion about Moe Norman.

When we met, I talked to Mr. Uihlein first. One of Mr. Uihlein's concerns was what financial gain Natural Golf might want. I informed Mr. Uihlein that Natural Golf wanted no financial gain from anything that would help Moe. Mr. Uihlein expressed his opinion that Moe was one of the four great ball strikers of all times and did not want his swing lost to future generations. How would the golfing world like to have current video quality images of Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan. They just don't exist.

Mr. Uihlein wanted to take video of Moe and have several tour players talk about his swing. I agreed on the condition that I could be the last person on the video and explain what Moe really does during his swing. No one had ever gotten it right. Mr. Uihlein agreed.

I then ask Mr. Uihlein, "I also understand that you want to do something financial for Moe." Mr. Uihlein said, "That is correct, but I don't want to make you look bad." I responded, "That's OK. make me look bad." "What did you have in mind?"

Mr. Uihlein said, "How does $5,000 a month for the rest of his life sound?" My response was, "Moe will love that."

We called Moe and several of his friends over (Gus Maue being one of them) and I explained to Moe about the video. Moe's response was, "Can I be on this big bank of TV's at the show next year?" Mr. Uihlein said, "Yes, Moe, you can be up there next year." I then told Moe that Mr. Uihlein want to do something financially to help him as well. Mr. Uihlein then told Moe that Titleist was going to give him $5,000 a month for the rest of his life. Moe took one step backward, turned his head a little and looked at Mr. Uihlein with those piercing eyes and said, "I've played your balls all my life, I wear your shoe." He repeated the same thing a second time, "I've played your balls all my life, I wear your shoe. What do I have to do for that?" Mr. Uihlein responded with, "You have already done your part Moe. Titleist is just saying thank you for what you have already done." Moe took one more step back and repeated. "I've played your ball's all my life, I wear your shoe. What do I have to do for that." Mr. Uihlein assured Moe that he did not have do anything. It was a thank you gift from Titleist. Moe said, "Your not going to hurt my friend Jack, are you?" I told Moe that I had approved the deal and no one was being hurt. Moe said, "OK, I'll accept it."

Hairs were standing up on my arm and I was holding back tears. Handkerchiefs were coming out of the pockets of all of Moe's friends who were not as controlled. When Moe said it was OK, he almost fainted. A few of his friends held him up until he regained his composure.

We had a clinic to do in less than 30 minutes on the range. As we were walking out the door, Moe said, "I don't know if I can hit ball or not Jack." I assured Moe that if he missed every shot, it would be OK. He, obviously, did not and performed one of his best clinics ever.

No company that I know of has ever done an act of appreciation that can parallel what Mr. Uihlein and Titleist did for Moe Norman.

Last edited:
Martin was Moe really hitting it 300 when he said watch this ! Ive read that he wasn't very long off the tee

The Titleist sponsorship was amazing and a testament to the class of Mr. Uhlein.

Moe was flying his driver to and past the 250 marker. He wasn't hitting it 400 as he said a couple of times.

The Titleist sponsorship was amazing and a testament to the class of Mr. Uhlein.

Couldn't agree more.

Mr. Norman, for all his incredible skills, could never be a "brand ambassador" for any company. As Mr. Schultz suggested, having Mr. Norman as the face of Natural Golf was not a "win/win" for either Natural Golf or Mr. Norman. The cited phrase: "Make me look bad" speaks volumes about Mr. Uihlein and Mr. Schultz. As the Aussies would say, "Good on you both."

Moe was flying his driver to and past the 250 marker. He wasn't hitting it 400 as he said a couple of times.

Martin,
I only watched the first ten minutes but it seemed to me - with his comments that he was hitting it 300 yards when he wasn't - and all his comments that imply - he never misses a shot - has total control of the ball - etc. etc. - that he couldn't be as good as he thought he was, that maybe part of his allure was his confidence. The swing and ball compression didn't seem too impressive - I'm assuming though that the ball flight control was impressive. Just curious to what degree you felt in awe in regards to him pulling off shots as he called them out ahead of time - like the 20 feet higher, then another 20 feet higher etc. I know you couldn't see it all while videotaping but I'd love to get your first hand experience with some reasonable comments on pros and cons of Moe's ball striking and in relation to his own confidence.
Thanks

Couldn't agree more.

Mr. Norman, for all his incredible skills, could never be a "brand ambassador" for any company. As Mr. Schultz suggested, having Mr. Norman as the face of Natural Golf was not a "win/win" for either Natural Golf or Mr. Norman. The cited phrase: "Make me look bad" speaks volumes about Mr. Uihlein and Mr. Schultz. As the Aussies would say, "Good on you both."
Whoa whoa whoa I just copied and pasted the story from another site but didn't cite where. The guy in the story, Jack, is from the Natural Golf school. Didn't want to piss off the moderators.

Martin,
I only watched the first ten minutes but it seemed to me - with his comments that he was hitting it 300 yards when he wasn't - and all his comments that imply - he never misses a shot - has total control of the ball - etc. etc. - that he couldn't be as good as he thought he was, that maybe part of his allure was his confidence. The swing and ball compression didn't seem too impressive - I'm assuming though that the ball flight control was impressive. Just curious to what degree you felt in awe in regards to him pulling off shots as he called them out ahead of time - like the 20 feet higher, then another 20 feet higher etc. I know you couldn't see it all while videotaping but I'd love to get your first hand experience with some reasonable comments on pros and cons of Moe's ball striking and in relation to his own confidence.
Thanks

Moe was phenomenal. Keep in mind, he's in his late 60's during this video. Think of the guys you know who are 68 and how they would perform on a warm September day hitting a lot of balls.

He hits it where he's aiming. He hit a couple of mildly offline shots. Shots that would still be on the green or in the fairway.

Moe hitting off the mats takes away a lot from the experience. Moe on turf was really something to see. The divot patch he took out was surgical and the sound of the ball off the face was awesome.

When you have time, watch all of it. Good stuff in there.

Whoa whoa whoa I just copied and pasted the story from another site but didn't cite where. The guy in the story, Jack, is from the Natural Golf school. Didn't want to piss off the moderators.

Now I get it. The "Jack" you are referring to is Jack Kuykendall, one of the Natural Golf founders. Thanks for setting the attribution straight.

Did Moe's address position (with the clubhead well behind the ball) offer an advantages with coupling point low point?

Moe was phenomenal. Keep in mind, he's in his late 60's during this video. Think of the guys you know who are 68 and how they would perform on a warm September day hitting a lot of balls.

He hits it where he's aiming. He hit a couple of mildly offline shots. Shots that would still be on the green or in the fairway.

Moe hitting off the mats takes away a lot from the experience. Moe on turf was really something to see. The divot patch he took out was surgical and the sound of the ball off the face was awesome.

When you have time, watch all of it. Good stuff in there.

Thanks Martin - great to see "home footage" of Moe and the fact that you were there - pretty cool!

Martin,

Very surprised there wasn't more said on this. I bet it was really entertaining to watch him. Thanks for posting it.

What are some of the things you think we can learn from Moe? I don't mean in terms of his grip or setup, but more in the way he approaches hitting a golf ball (ie, preshot routine (or lack thereof), level of effort, rhythm and tempo)? Other?

Did you ever get to see him play any holes? If so, was his routine similar to when he was on the range? Man, he hit a bunch a balls!

Did you incorporate any of these things into your teaching philosophy? Appreciate any insights you can share.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.