Analyze This: Kenny Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifted these pics from Brady Riggs' site.....

What's goin on here?

I get it and it looks fairly "orthodox" (if you know what to look for and if you know what I mean) except for from into impact to going up into the Finish.

What's going on here? (in "Brian language")

How come he looks not very open?

He's swinging fairly far to the right no?

-PAUL

Last edited:

bray

New
Kenny Perry......Nice

I like Impact Birdie.
Right Forearm in line with clubshaft, Flat Left wrist, Straight Left Arm......
Looks like the flying wedges to me.

Although his hips aren't very open they also didn't get any closer to the ball which is in my opinnion the more important consideration (you don't want to look like your humping at impact)

I believe he's hitting and he feels like he's pushing on that #1 PP hard through impact.

Of Course the only way to truly know if he's hitting or swinging is to ask him or maybe ask Matt Killen.

Sorting Through the Instructor's Textbook.

B=Ray

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Kenny plays a pretty big draw. So he's going to swing more to the right than what I'd like to see.

Because of that he is going to be more closed at impact.

If you ask me that's a 4 barrel swing. Top right photo he's loading that left wrist. Great impact position, right forearm in line with the clubshaft, bent right and flat left wrist. But..... he almost has to stop the pivot because if he continued on with that roll of the forearms and the "almost flip" he would hook it off the planet. Look at his right wrist from the follow through to the finish swivel.

bcoak

New
Look at his left foot in the early pix. It is amazing to me how he turns it in with the force of his backswing. Like he is screwing himself into the ground.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I ask Matt for some video.

I got to meet Matt Killen on the range Tuesday at the Zurich Classic in New Orleans. Amazingly, although we are the only two Kentucky Teachers who ever teach at a Tour event these days—and have a few mutual pals—we had never met.

He really seems like a nice kid, and has a big head start on a great career. I don't know much about what he teaches, but he is a big "line drawer" and apparently, teaches "orthodox" stuff. Good for him.

I'll ask him to send me some video and maybe I'll get some audio commentary.

From what I see, Kenny is a inflexible guy, like myself, who came up with a swing that works for him, and like almost all PGA Tour players, has the control over the golf club alignments.

he is very square at impact and that maximizes the law of the pendulum. Because he is not open he does not have to manipulate the hands to gain control of the club face. A pendulum goes more up and down, not around, so that is why his finish is high, he relies on the pendulum.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
he is very square at impact and that maximizes the law of the pendulum. Because he is not open he does not have to manipulate the hands to gain control of the club face. A pendulum goes more up and down, not around, so that is why his finish is high, he relies on the pendulum.

Um....he finishes a lot higher than say someone like Ben Hogan because well, he swings too far to the right. If he followed the plane line more he'd be more open, hit it straighter and finish lower and left.

It's just geometry.

some may say he swings too far to the right but the unminipulated pendulum would have a much higher finish. Add in that the kinetic chain is closer to being utilized by him,then say someone who is way open at impact, that is why hips and shoulders have stopped rotating well before impact. From my perspective he has a swing that is gettng closer to maximizing those two forces. That is my opinion from what I have researched, I could always be wrong. :)

To add to birdies question, he seems to use a huge hip shift left for his downswing move and relies upon that more then a rotation move, some people bump it left and then turn, he just bumps it left, a lot and gets his power more from second axis tllt then rotation, someone such as hogan gets their power more from the combination of the two, 2nd axis tilt, and rotation combined, tiger would be another example of this. But this is also why tiger can dit the double cross, because his pendulum is manipulated. Tiger is one of the most talented golfers on tour, maybe even ever. So why is his swing not so relizble, If he is that talented he should be able to find a reliable swing shouldnt he. Because the swing he is trying for is a manipulation of the pendulum and instead of allowing it to assist him he overides it. Again I could be wrong, as we all could be.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
some may say he swings too far to the right but the unminipulated pendulum would have a much higher finish. Add in that the kinetic chain is closer to being utilized by him,then say someone who is way open at impact, that is why hips and shoulders have stopped rotating well before impact. From my perspective he has a swing that is gettng closer to maximizing those two forces. That is my opinion from what I have researched, I could always be wrong. :)

Ok i shouldn't say "too far to the right" but it is a plane line that is rotated to the right. He draws a pretty straight plane line, it's just more like "/" instead of "|". Now because it is rotated that way you physically cant have your body and hips that open to where you're swinging. The club is going to want to follow where the upper body is pulling it. So if you are open at impact it will want to go left, if you are more closed it will want to keep going right. So as i was saying, he is more closed at impact because his plane line is rotated in that direction.

Now does have a more inside/out plane line create more force/power/whatever? I don't know, might be. All i'm saying is that because of where he wants to draw that straight line it is going to determine where his body ends up at impact.

Ever seen an OTT slicer with a very closed body at impact? ;)

"Too far to the right" vs. "Rotated to the right"

I see what you're saying Jim.........however way it's put it's why he plays that big draw tho. (like you said before)

Not to say he doesn't do well with it............but could he be even more consistent with less of that move and less of that draw? I guess that's the question.

Last edited:
"Too far to the right" vs. "Rotated to the right"

I see what you're saying Jim.........however way it's put it's why he plays that big draw tho. (like you said before)

Not to say he doesn't do well with it............but could he be even more consistent with less of that move and less of that draw? I guess that's the question.

If he was angle hinge user and hitting with plane line rotated to right he would not hit the draw...

If he had a bit of lag pressure loss he might hit a mini-leakage draw...??

Cross line does it have to mean draw shape.... depends on clubface through impact i guess....?

does the body make the plane line that way of the club make the body that way? I believe he dictated that plane line and body position by his downswing or more focus on shift rather then turn, this will help to maiximize the kinetic chain, and the pendulum, which will make him long, with less effort and more accuracy. He has ranked well in total driving and GIR's with this, but it seems he lacksthe short game to keep up with his long game. IMO it seems people should help him get up and down more and work on his putting, so why cant the man putt?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If he was angle hinge user and hitting with plane line rotated to right he would not hit the draw...

If he had a bit of lag pressure loss he might hit a mini-leakage draw...??

Cross line does it have to mean draw shape.... depends on clubface through impact i guess....?

Nope, you'd still hook it. This is a misconeption. I don't care what anyone says, if you swing that inside out with that closed of a face, even angled hinging it it's going to go left.

Maybe not on the shorter clubs so much because there is so much backspin, but the longer the club the worse off it's going to be.

Wolfman...you here to back me up ;)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
does the body make the plane line that way of the club make the body that way? I believe he dictated that plane line and body position by his downswing or more focus on shift rather then turn, this will help to maiximize the kinetic chain, and the pendulum, which will make him long, with less effort and more accuracy. He has ranked well in total driving and GIR's with this, but it seems he lacksthe short game to keep up with his long game. IMO it seems people should help him get up and down more and work on his putting, so why cant the man putt?

I think we are saying the same thing, the only way i can see that this MIGHT be a more "powerful move" is because the more you swing out to the right the more you can tilt and the more you can store.

This can "lead" to more effortless power because of the storage and to greater distance because you are in effect delofting all of your clubs.

It's also the reason why his short game is bad. Not too many players who swing at it very inside/out have strong wedge games.

I dont know jim, his putts per round, putts per GIR, and lack of birdies look like his biggest weakness over the last three years. he makes it on the green a lot so his putts per round should not be that high no matter how bad his short game. and if he is bad a putting it will inflate his scrambing stats . He is bad out of the sand. If his other short shots where that bad, combined with his lack of putting skills I would expect his scrambling stats to be worse. Sorry jim but I have to vote putter as the culprit, lets fix that first. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.