Anyone heard/seen what Els has been doing diffrently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwb

New
I don't know the specifics but my friend went to Wentworth yesterday and got some great video up close of Ernie. To me it already looks like he is getting wider at the top and start down. He also looked to be swinging in slow motion - was incredible - looked even smoother than usual.

Hopefully we shall see him a bit on the TV this weekend in the UK.

Amazing guy, and a testimit to how good these guys are, he won the honda, feeling 3 out of 10...
I havent really been fallowing him close, but I know i was conserned for him for a while there... he was consistantly having rounds in the high 70s. Im sure he has alot on his mind with his kid too...
By the way whats Brians view on Butch Harmon?

Good for him.

And to his credit (honestly), he even tossed out some Tiger-like "3 out of 10" BS for people to bounce around in their brains.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Love Ernie. One of the saddest stories in all of golf IMO. Should've never touched his swing in the first place in 94. Was winning tournaments by six back then..........Lead:mad:

BurnItUp

Start it back above the original shaft plane
Make it as wide at as possible at the end of the back swing
Maintain that width coming down
Keep the club in front of the body

and voilà

you're Harmonised

dbl

New

and voilà

you're Harmonised

On the Power Hitter informercial Harmon is shown taking several swings, and this is exactly it. The downshift in the downswing is quite noticeable as well, for BH.

tbf, as patterns and methods go, you can do alot worse than that. i'd rather look like that then try to do haney's congruent angle method and shank it off the earth, or stack and tilt and end up reverse pivoting

anyhow ernie played really poorly at the BMW PGA at wentworth today and yesterday. think he was +5 or +6

looked like he was getting below plane and swinging right alot. alot of blocked shots, with the driver and even on shorter irons

and voilà

you're Harmonised

What did he do with fred couples because i wouldn't have thought much of that would help fred

common denominator - harmon

whats wrong with harmon? he is on record as saying that he is not a method teacher and that he doesn't cookie cutter his students. if he believes that a wide takeaway and a short backswing is the best way to do it, then why not teach those two elements to everyone that needs help with those two things?

What did he do with fred couples because i wouldn't have thought much of that would help fred

This is what he did with Fred, according to an article in GD:

Working with Butch Harmon, Couples has lessened the distinctive lift in his takeaway with a lower and wider sweep back that starts the club more along the target line, rather than outside. This allows him to accomplish a deeper, fuller turn.

"We had him setting up with the clubhead a foot behind the ball, getting a head start on the takeaway," says Harmon. "He even played some rounds like that."

Couples' improved takeaway also has reduced the amount his driver shaft goes across the line, pointing right of the target, at the top.

The result of these changes is that Couples now swings down on the correct plane, with the club more in front of him, not trapped behind his right side. When Couples was prone to dropping the club behind him, he had to release his hands aggressively through the hitting area to square the clubface. That pronounced inside-out action held the threat of a hook, which he counteracted by opening his stance and playing a fade. But he still missed too many fairways.

Now with a more on-plane swing, Couples clears his left hip -- a move he still executes as quickly as anyone in golf -- and he's free to fully release his body and swing the club down the line. He hits one fearless draw after another.

"We also watch his ball position, keeping it back, which squares his shoulders to the target," says Harmon. "From there, he can turn it over for more distance."​

Interesting changes.

I haven't seen any of it though...

But I've always wondered what would happen if you tried to change Freddie's pivot. (more NSA side)

It would help his back probably anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.