Are World Golf Rankings Biased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this short article in the Wall Street Journal about info presented at the World Scientific Congress of Golf. In the second half of the article, it describes how there was a presentation on how the world golf rankings are biased against PGA players, noting that world rankings do not reflect the actual skill level of the players.

Does anyone know if this is an issue within the PGA? Does this explain why so many more international players show up now in the top 100? Could a faulty ranking system have a dramatic effect on a player's opportunities and career?

Why Scientists Love to Study Golf - WSJ.com

That last paragraph says a lot.

The way I see it though they want to grow the game of golf so by getting players into national competitions based on WR it behooves them to set it up this way.

That article could be construed as a criticism that the rankings privilege winning over skill. But isn't winning tournaments a skill in itself?

I remember Todd Hamilton sounding oddly confident before he went out with Ernie in the last group of the Open at Troon. He said he'd learnt to win on the Japanese tour. I wonder if Ernie wishes the Open were judged by Broadie rather than scorekeepers.

Golf needs something similar to the RPI used in college basketball. Who you played better than throughout the course of a tournament shouldn't be overruled by someone stacking wins on the indonesian tour IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.