Axis Tilt and Flipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who spends much time around here knows the importance of axis tilt. And it seems clear to me that if one wants to 1) trace a straight plane line and 2) hit the ball with a FLW, then one needs some axis tilt (a little with the short irons, quite a bit with the driver).

What I'm wondering is this: does flipping the clubhead (having leakage) also lead one to develop a swing with very little axis tilt?

I'm thinking that the answer to this is 'yes'. First, it seems to me that if you set up properly (bent over from the hips as much as Brian says to do) and then swing with axis tilt, that if you then flip it, you will hit it really, really fat almost every time. That is, in order to flip it, you actually need to stand up (either in your setup or on the downswing) so that you can make room for the flip. Axis tilt actually takes away that room so a flipper will learn to swig without much axis tilt (or someone who has little axis tilt will learn to flip).

Does this make sense? Do others have insight on the relationship between axis tilt and flipping it?

If anyone cares, the background to all of this is that the I've just recently discovered/realised that despite shooting a number of very low rounds lately, it turns out that in playing more often and getting more confident, I had actually reverted to old habits. I was standing up and flipping at the ball. I've gone back to NSA in a big way and I'm finally compressing the ball again. But, I notice that when I revert and flip at it (now that I have a better set up), I just about miss the ball entirely.

Another discovery for me is this: hitting a draw with a flat left wrist is a totally different golf shot then flipping it and drawing it. I know that's obvious to most people here, but my problem is that 1) I've swung with an open club face for most of my life and 2) I'm really GOOD at flipping it. So I can hit the ball right to left with some confidence if I flip it. Problem is, that swing is NOT consistent. I'm amazed at how much straighter the ball goes with the NSA pattern.

Could the same be said of a failure to pivot properly? Or is the lack of axis tilt essentially the same problem as the failure to pivot propertly? What is the relationship between axis tilt and the pivot?

Anyone who spends much time around here knows the importance of axis tilt. And it seems clear to me that if one wants to 1) trace a straight plane line and 2) hit the ball with a FLW, then one needs some axis tilt (a little with the short irons, quite a bit with the driver).

What I'm wondering is this: does flipping the clubhead (having leakage) also lead one to develop a swing with very little axis tilt?

I'm thinking that the answer to this is 'yes'. First, it seems to me that if you set up properly (bent over from the hips as much as Brian says to do) and then swing with axis tilt, that if you then flip it, you will hit it really, really fat almost every time. That is, in order to flip it, you actually need to stand up (either in your setup or on the downswing) so that you can make room for the flip. Axis tilt actually takes away that room so a flipper will learn to swig without much axis tilt (or someone who has little axis tilt will learn to flip).

Does this make sense? Do others have insight on the relationship between axis tilt and flipping it?

If anyone cares, the background to all of this is that the I've just recently discovered/realised that despite shooting a number of very low rounds lately, it turns out that in playing more often and getting more confident, I had actually reverted to old habits. I was standing up and flipping at the ball. I've gone back to NSA in a big way and I'm finally compressing the ball again. But, I notice that when I revert and flip at it (now that I have a better set up), I just about miss the ball entirely.

Another discovery for me is this: hitting a draw with a flat left wrist is a totally different golf shot then flipping it and drawing it. I know that's obvious to most people here, but my problem is that 1) I've swung with an open club face for most of my life and 2) I'm really GOOD at flipping it. So I can hit the ball right to left with some confidence if I flip it. Problem is, that swing is NOT consistent. I'm amazed at how much straighter the ball goes with the NSA pattern.

why do you think brians tells us to get 'maximum participation' from the left shoulder?

so the left shoulder goes up the plane, the right shoulder goes down the plane, and we get axis tilt!!!

I know some people hang back to give them more time to close their too open clubface.....

.....?

If you're lookin for tilt though..........fighting a hook is good training. (NSA)

Status
Not open for further replies.