BACK FRIENDLY PROCEDURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think is the most back friendly procedure? They all probably can cause some problems, but some must be better than others.

If you can include SETUP POSTURE, PLANE, PIVOT, RELEASE... that would be good.

Jack Kuykendahls LPG method is very back friendly.
You can also stand up as straight as possible at address,then drag the club back turning hips and shoulders about the same amount. Turn everything back together on the forword swing. Bob Jones did it this way. If done right there is almost no torque to the low back.

quote:Originally posted by rvanduse

Jack Kuykendahls LPG method is very back friendly.
You can also stand up as straight as possible at address,then drag the club back turning hips and shoulders about the same amount. Turn everything back together on the forword swing. Bob Jones did it this way. If done right there is almost no torque to the low back.

Bobby Jones did not do it that way. Kuykendall advocates that the left wrist does not bend at all in LPG. Jone's club dipped significantly passed horizontal. Bobby Jones and other golfers of that era bent the left elbow mainly due to the dress of the day. Also JK advocates a very still body and Jones had a beautiful full pivot.

Three procedures or methods that I have seen that are supposed to be back friendly are... Gravity Golf, Don Trahan's teaching, and Peter Croker's system. Many of Croker's ideas are based on TGM, and/or Tom Tomasello's methods.

I once saw a tape of Kuykendahl hitting balls. He was way off plane at that time as I recall.
He may, however, have some valid ideas.

Which one of the 10-14 Hip Turns do you think would cause less stress on the back, or is this a factor?

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

lol...whatever brian teaches. Never had an issue with my back since....now my left shoulder is a different story

If you aren't already, try moving to an angled hinge action. If you take 'full roll', and 'flat left' to the extreme, the left shoulder takes the brunt of the force at the finish.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by EdZ

lol...whatever brian teaches. Never had an issue with my back since....now my left shoulder is a different story

If you aren't already, try moving to an angled hinge action. If you take 'full roll', and 'flat left' to the extreme, the left shoulder takes the brunt of the force at the finish.

Don't know how...i'm going back to the doc next week to see what's wrong with it. I had an arthrogram MRI done a little while ago.

How does one use an angled hinge?

Also what do you mean by "flat left?" Flat left wrist?

I did not in any way mean to suggest that JK's method and Jones are the same. They are totally different, but both seeem to be back friendly. I am not an expert golfer but I have suffered a very severe back problems for fifty years and can say with some certainty Jones and JK are relativly easy on the back. Please consider that in my case I am not even able to follow the advice to bend from the hip sockets at address let alone most of the other standard advice re coil, hip slid, etc.

ryanduse,

The 50s and 60s tour player, Don January, had no bend from the hips, but did bend the knees slightly. He, also played the ball closer to his stance line than anyone I've ever seen, with his arms hanging straight down, and the upper arms in contact with his torso. Footage of his swing might be available in the Shell Wide World of Golf series or, assuming they exist, from tapes of the CBS Golf Classic match play series.

EdZ

New

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

Don't know how...i'm going back to the doc next week to see what's wrong with it. I had an arthrogram MRI done a little while ago.

How does one use an angled hinge?

Also what do you mean by "flat left?" Flat left wrist?

Using angled hinge is a 'no roll' FEEL - there is still roll, but not the (most often) conscious rotation of the forearms that horizontal hinge uses. Think of bend/arch of the wrists rather than rolling through impact. This is what Austin teaches and is very effective (despite the misapplication of it that 'others' teach).

Think of it as the natural 'on plane' bending/arching of the wrists. A hitters motion.

Yes, flat left wrist, sorry my bad. You can still use full roll, but if you try to keep a 'completely' flat left wrist all the way to finish, it stresses your left shoulder. If you roll through impact but don't 'force' the continued roll into the finish, you'll be alright. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that was trying to 'keep rolling' too long that they may hurt their lead shoulder.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Edz.....i'd have to ask brian what hinge i use. Since i have a hard time playing a big draw and my natural tendency is to fade i'd have to guess i'm already using an angled hinge.

I know that i have a roll during impact but it isn't a conscious roll and it doesn't feel like a big roll either, again hinting towards angled hinge. Lastly, since i've become pretty comfortable with my swing i don't force the FLW all the way to the finish but i try not to let the left get too bent either.

Maybe brian can shed some light?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Jim,

That LAST line in your second paragraph:

"Lastly, since i've become pretty comfortable with my swing i don't force the FLW all the way to the finish but i try not to let the left get too bent either"

Is BRILLIANT! in this respect:

This is WHY I teach the way I do....for LONG-TERM results.

I TAUGHT your to KEEP your left wrist flat all the way to the finish...knowing you would evenually figure out that it doesn't HAVE TO stay flat that long.

But It SURE helped to LEARN IT that way Jim, didn't it?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Jim,

That LAST line in your second paragraph:

"Lastly, since i've become pretty comfortable with my swing i don't force the FLW all the way to the finish but i try not to let the left get too bent either"

Is BRILLIANT! in this respect:

This is WHY I teach the way I do....for LONG-TERM results.

I TAUGHT your to KEEP your left wrist flat all the way to the finish...knowing you would evenually figure out that it doesn't HAVE TO stay flat that long.

But It SURE helped to LEARN IT that way Jim, didn't it?

Yes sir, because now i have a very LARGE amount of contorl over my ball and a correct swivel. Plus i've learned to "feel" when my wrist has broken down during impact and where the clubface was pointing as well.

I could hit balls with my eyes closed and tell you by simply what i felt at impact where the ball is going :)

Status
Not open for further replies.