Back of right hand under the shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New

footwedge

That's because your left arm over-rotated and put your right hand/arm under and it snowballs from there, inside and flat with the lift to the top. JMO.

Jwat

New
Thats what it feels like. Been trying to get my LAFW pointing towards left field on downswing. Probably why I am over rotating on back swing.

Do I think a little more Jim Furyk on backswing?

S

SteveT

Experiment ... slow down your backswing and stay conscious of what you are doing, then when you are approaching the reversal at the top and initiating your hip shift to start the downswing kinetic chain go non-conscious. Let us see what happens when you make a major change to your golfswing.

Try to give your conscious mind enough time to actually perform what you desire.

Of course, if you showed us your golfswing only covered in your fruit of the looms, we might be able to evaluate your true leg action and body core rotation .... and your vid would go viral ...LOL

Btw, do you have built up pecs ..??

Jwat

New
Experiment ... slow down your backswing and stay conscious of what you are doing, then when you are approaching the reversal at the top and initiating your hip shift to start the downswing kinetic chain go non-conscious. Let us see what happens when you make a major change to your golfswing

When I try to slow down and let the hip shift start the downswing I get severly underplane. I drop my right hand and shoulder at the same time.

Btw, do you have built up pecs ..??

If your asking if I have a large chest, yes I do. My chest is wide as well and I think it causes alot of my swing issues. I really consciously have to turn it back and through cuz it definitley wont move without momentum. Any suggestions?

S

SteveT

When I try to slow down and let the hip shift start the downswing I get severly underplane. I drop my right hand and shoulder at the same time.

From your vids, the impression I get is that your hips and shoulders rotate in unison in the downswing, giving the appearance of a 'shoveling' effect to your swing. Once you get to the top of your backswing and establish your hip-shoulder X-factor, your hips should have begun their shift and 'stretching' out the angular difference between your hips and shoulders. Do you feel your hips and shoulder moving in lockstep into the downswing and you are forced to vigorously sling your arms to complete the swing? This may keep you on plane.

When you slow your backswing to give your hips time to shift and start torquing for the kinetic chain, that upsets your core action resulting in the right hand and shoulder dropping. In effect you get 'disconnected' in your core between the hips and shoulders. The timing of the kinetic sequencing is also disrupted.

Suggestions? Suck in your gut and tense your abs because you may be going lax. Now try it again and see if that reconnects you. It's all conscious action, so it might not result in good Impact, but at least you will have a 'feel' of what your body is doing. Good luck!

If your asking if I have a large chest, yes I do. My chest is wide as well and I think it causes alot of my swing issues. I really consciously have to turn it back and through cuz it definitley wont move without momentum. Any suggestions?

Don't attempt to backswing to club parallel at the top .. just go 3/4 or 7/8ths at most. When you feel your left upper arm pressing heavily on your pec, your backswing is complete, so don't try to raise your arms any further. From there your broad shoulders can lash the arm-club assembly with abandon. Trying to stretch too far up and back is not for you!

You do sound like you are struggling with your powerful build and trying to swing like somebody who is slim with a lot of core flexibility. Have you identified your optimal swing style according to The LAWs of the Golf Swing ... because you may be attempting the wrong swinging style action?

Please remember, I am making these suggestions based only on viewing your 2D vids and your comments. I don't teach, but I pride myself on sensing the golfswing kinetic chain .. something golf instructors are unable to do ... it's a special talent requiring an appreciation of Newtonian physics ..:cool:

Jwat

New
I agree with the 3/4 swing, although I can't seem to get a good shoulderturn/pivot on the backswing. Any suggestions on how to incorporate posistioning for a more dynamic kinetic chain? With me being such big chested, how does someone get a good backswing pivot from a physics standpoint?

LAWS looks like a good book, although since I am stronger and wider is it just going to tell me to swing more one plane around my body from the ground up?

S

SteveT

I agree with the 3/4 swing, although I can't seem to get a good shoulderturn/pivot on the backswing. Any suggestions on how to incorporate posistioning for a more dynamic kinetic chain? With me being such big chested, how does someone get a good backswing pivot from a physics standpoint?

Reviewing your vids, I notice that your leg action is quite vigorous. Try to reduce leg action by keeping your feet planted in the backswing. Only release your left foot slightly when you reach Reversal. This will most likely confine you to a 3/4 backswing which is not all that detrimental to the kinetic chain; it only reduces the distance and time you will have at the start of the downswing for the acceleration phase of your arms and hands. You will be accelerating at a faster rate with a 3/4 downswing, and still achieve the same power level.

Reversal in the swing happens when the body locks up and stiffens, and can go no further. Flexible golfers can go back farther, while stocky, more rigid golfers may have to reverse sooner.

LAWS looks like a good book, although since I am stronger and wider is it just going to tell me to swing more one plane around my body from the ground up?

Please read and study the LAWs book, and you will determine your near-optimal swing style based on your body type. I can't tell you what style of swing you have, and only you can determine that based on the classification that is in the book. It's an easy read. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.