Back to target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Brian!

I haven't played in the past 3 months due to other things going on in life.
I play a round last week with a buddy and his father and was hitting it so bad i quit keeping score

Was hitting it fat,thin and shots you have never seen lol

So anyways I go to the range the next day to figure it out. Still hitting it horrible so i start hitting balls at half speed to try to feel what's going on. Well i figure out i was getting ahead of it and wasn't using my arms at all ..

Then i recall something you said about swinging while it felt like your back was still facing the target. So with my last dozen balls i try that and hit each one pure. I play a round this morning with the same 2 gentleman and shoot a 79 which ties my lowest round ever! They were in disbelief to say the least. Said i was making the game look to easy like it was lawn darts or something..

So anyways what i noticed is that the left shoulder feels like it never turns to the left using this swing thought. Also noticed when my left shoulder does turn left that it makes me come up out of the shot.
Tomorrow Im Going to try swinging with my back still towards the target but once the left arm starts down try adding some torso rotation in with it.
I just don't understand how good players get there hips facing the target while keeping that left shoulder from turning .

That swing thought of yours really helped me today to enjoy the game so just wanted to say thanks.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Great Job!

Keeping the back to the target will help a lot of golfers, who for too long, have been under the impression that they need to rotate, rotate, rotate.

We must share some of the same DNA. Having to remind myself to swing my arms is something that still takes a concentrated effort, but man is it worth it.

Hips facing the target is one of the most misundrstood components of the golf swing. Only thing that matters is the shaft and clubface relation to the ball. Don't over think it.

S

SteveT

This discussion is now about body action and all the opinions are anecdotal and dubious.

That's fine, but what about a scientific explanation of body action... just like we have about arm and club action?

Will ASIII cover body action, or will it all stop at arm and club action for TM use?

Dubious or not, opinions and anecdotes still have value. Even a golf lesson backed by science and TM/FS has some opinionated and anecdotal elements to it. Does every single thread need to morph into a scientific research document? Maybe I'm a little slow, but I find some of these lighter threads refreshing. I appreciate the science and how it's helping golf but every once in a while it's nice to have a thread for the special kids.

I like corn dogs.

Don't over think it.

bcoak

New
Good drill I like. take a medicine ball (if at gym or a regular ball) grip it in two hands and get in setupp. Swing it to the top then bounce the ball straight down and catch

Hey Brian!

I haven't played in the past 3 months due to other things going on in life.
I play a round last week with a buddy and his father and was hitting it so bad i quit keeping score

Was hitting it fat,thin and shots you have never seen lol

So anyways I go to the range the next day to figure it out. Still hitting it horrible so i start hitting balls at half speed to try to feel what's going on. Well i figure out i was getting ahead of it and wasn't using my arms at all ..

Then i recall something you said about swinging while it felt like your back was still facing the target. So with my last dozen balls i try that and hit each one pure. I play a round this morning with the same 2 gentleman and shoot a 79 which ties my lowest round ever! They were in disbelief to say the least. Said i was making the game look to easy like it was lawn darts or something..

So anyways what i noticed is that the left shoulder feels like it never turns to the left using this swing thought. Also noticed when my left shoulder does turn left that it makes me come up out of the shot.
Tomorrow Im Going to try swinging with my back still towards the target but once the left arm starts down try adding some torso rotation in with it.
I just don't understand how good players get there hips facing the target while keeping that left shoulder from turning .

That swing thought of yours really helped me today to enjoy the game so just wanted to say thanks.

Interesting...I have had the exact same revelation. While practicing at the range after a not so great session, the only swing thought I used was the back to the target and found an immediate religious experience with the only thought keeping my back to the target. Hitting a driver, my dispersion was perhaps within 20% of my normal pattern.

I have also picked up the move from "ideas about the release" in addition to Brian's suggestion of the same while in Long Island to keep the belt buckle turned to the right as long as possible in the down swing (right handed golf swing)

The question is why exactly does this promote significantly better ball striking for one's self. I would love to know why, but just concentrating on this move has had very positive results

Dubious or not, opinions and anecdotes still have value. Even a golf lesson backed by science and TM/FS has some opinionated and anecdotal elements to it. Does every single thread need to morph into a scientific research document? Maybe I'm a little slow, but I find some of these lighter threads refreshing. I appreciate the science and how it's helping golf but every once in a while it's nice to have a thread for the special kids.

I like corn dogs.

I must be one of the special kids! As I responded to the original post....I would love to know why the back to the target has had such a positive result. However for right know I can keep that back to the target with the feeling to keep it there and just pour it on, a feeling I have never felt before trying other manipulations.

The bottom line is I want to groove the movement with a minimum of other thoughts and THEN post up some data from my flightscope. My thought has been to keep my drive in the fairway which has led to some tentative movements. Now keep the back to the target and Luke Donald'ing my release is all I think.

Henry

The "back to target" works really well for me because it stabilizes my shoulders. I used to go under plane a lot and incorreect shoulder movement was a big cause of that. I'd over correct and start hitting big hooks. When I focus on keeping my back to the target, I no longer need to think about my shoulders and swing away knowing I"m on plane.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I must be one of the special kids! As I responded to the original post....I would love to know why the back to the target has had such a positive result. However for right know I can keep that back to the target with the feeling to keep it there and just pour it on, a feeling I have never felt before trying other manipulations.

The bottom line is I want to groove the movement with a minimum of other thoughts and THEN post up some data from my flightscope. My thought has been to keep my drive in the fairway which has led to some tentative movements. Now keep the back to the target and Luke Donald'ing my release is all I think.

Henry

For one, storing your rotation allows you to use it later. Also, it can give you room to swing the arms more vertically and work the handle inward thru impact.

For one, storing your rotation allows you to use it later. Also, it can give you room to swing the arms more vertically and work the handle inward thru impact.

Thanks Kevin...two sentences of PURE GOLD. As a coincidence, I have noticed on the backswing when the left arm is parallel I can keep the butt end of the club between the target line and the foot line and get the shaft more vertical, consequently the hand path seems to take care of itself. Outstanding explanation!

I have found that practicing full shots with my feet crossed a la Lee's gravity golf drills force me to keep my back to the target as long as I can. Is there any thing I need to watch out for and to avoid using these drills?

Thanks Kevin. It is always helpful to know some of the why's. Can we expand this discussion of the shoulder rotation to include the hip rotation? In paricular, does the "Ideas style release" work best with the maximum "x factor" coil between the hips and shoulders, or is it necessary to limit the hips to some degree?

John

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Thanks Kevin. It is always helpful to know some of the why's. Can we expand this discussion of the shoulder rotation to include the hip rotation? In paricular, does the "Ideas style release" work best with the maximum "x factor" coil between the hips and shoulders, or is it necessary to limit the hips to some degree?

John

I would love to branch out the discussion. Hopefully there will be some ideas. Regarding this topic, for me it is always subject dependent. To time a good release some need more hip turn and some need less IMO.

Excellent Kevin. Getting that handle working inward is my biggest challenge. Will try back to the target tomorrow.

Thanks. So the answer might be depending if the ball is curving left? There seems to be three styles of hip seperation, the buckle facing the target , the frozen perpendicular to target line, and the early opening ending with a reversing closure at impact. Just thinking if one would work best with this release?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.