Back to the Launch Monitor- for what its worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a different place with a launch monitor that had more sophisticated equipment and that had swing speed as well as ball speed. This time however, I went with my old 9.5 degree Taylormade 580 driver and my new 6 degree Alpha Version 2 Driver that Pat Dempsey (Long Drive Champ) custom made for me two days ago.

First, I learned that you can effect the numbers based upon the altitude above sea level you put in the computer. We used a level 18 (whatever that means) which should coincide to actual Louisville, KY conditions.

My swing speeds with the 9.5* Taylormade were as follows (in MPH) 110, 114, 111, 113, 112,112,103,106 and 114.

My swing speeds with the 6* Alpha Version 2 were: 114, 108, 109, 108, 110, 100, 108, 108, 113.

My respective launch angles with the 9.5* were (in degrees): 14.5, 18.4, 14.5, 17.9, 13.6, 20.3, 9, 12.2, and 13.3.

My respective launch angles with the 6* were: 10.6, 15.5, 7.8, 16.1, 15.1, 2.7, 10.1, 16.6, 11.6.

One interesting statistic was spin rate- With the 9.5*, my respective spin rates (in rpm) were: 3279, 3399, 3282, 3365, 3323, 3404, 2991, 3122, 3387

With the 6*, my respective spin rates were: 2191, 2141, 2035, 2139, 2162, 1259, 2072, 2136, 2183.

(Obviously, the 2.7* launch and the 1259 rpm hit was a big miss!)

The big stat for me was that I CARRIED the 6* driver an average of 13 yards further. Roll was not calculated on this equipment, but I would imagine that with an average of 1,000 rpm LESS spin with the 6* and with 13 yards more carry, I should get even more distance with added roll- problem is its too cold outside for me to test this theory.

--for what its worth

From what I have been told your optimum Launch angle is around 12-13 with a low spin rate.

Your launch angles are too high with the 9.5 and that swing speed IMO.

With the 6 you have better launch angle with better spin rate thus the added distance. Those are some high launch angles for a 6*.

jeffy

Banned
You were launching it pretty high in Orlando...interesting that the swing speed with the 580 seemed consistently higher by a couple of mph; what are the respective shafts?

quote:Originally posted by jeffy

You were launching it pretty high in Orlando...interesting that the swing speed with the 580 seemed consistently higher by a couple of mph; what are the respective shafts?

I think I was just getting tired. I hit the 580 first.

BTW, my best hit with the 6* was 114.5 swing speed, 157 ball speed, 10.6* launch angle and 2191 rpm for a 284 yard carry.

My best hit with the 9.5* was 114.8 swing speed, 155 ball speed, 13.3* launch angle, and 3387 rpm for a 270 yard carry.

I don't know how those shots would roll out differently.

I really think that this technology should be used on the TEACHING side and not just the CLUBFITTING side. That's my two cents.

quote:Originally posted by jeffy

My launch angle was NOT high in Orlando-- my spin rate was > 4,000 rpm.

Tom, do you know your swing stats?

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
No clue. Never been on a launch monitor. I have hit with several club head speed monitors and they range from 115 to 140. They were all over the place. Don't know how accurate those machines are. I tried the virtual golf machines at the merchandise show and I was carrying the ball from 290 to 355!!! Take it with a grain of salt.

I would like to use the same launch monitor they use for Tiger or Phil though.

That may be a good point- that they all vary from one to the other. But I was able to get good use of it today because I was comparing two drivers against each other. So I was able to get some good insight there. The guy had me use an old clubhead speedometer device at the end that doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but he said he thought it was more accurate on clubhead speed alone. I was only reaching 103-106 mph on that device. But my main prerogative was to get my spin rate down but still get the ball off the ground. I was able to do that with the 6*. I won't know until I take it to the course I guess.

It did give me other good readings-- like if I was under or over plane. On all but two hits, I was over the top up to 4 degrees. But I was compensating with the face angle. I still think its a good training aid if you use it right.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
I think you are O.K. as long as you use the same machine, in the same place, set up the same way, blah, blah, blah, to compare different clubs to each other. I know the ideal is supposed to be 12 to 14 degree launch angle and 2800 to 3000rpms.

Took it to the course today. Played 9 holes, had 9 pars. My second "36" since I got back from Orlando. The 6* driver was like the next club up for me. Wish I tried it years ago. I think I'll use my old driver as a 3-wood. Do the rules allow two drivers in the bag?

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
I had a friend who had 3 drivers in his bag. One for downwind, one into the wind, and one for off the turf. His theory was, hit driver until you can reach the green with something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.