Backing Out of Downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

One of the things in my swing that bothers me is that on the way down, I move my head slightly away from the target as I approach, and move through impact.

I have seen players do both, as some great players (Hogan comes to mind right off the bat) move in a consistant direction and there is no moving back of the head through the shot. There are also many players (Tiger, even Mr. Manzella, himself) who have their heads move slightly backward through impact. Obviously it cannot be a huge problem if great players such as these do this, but what causes it and how can it be fixed?

Many thanks!
Stewart

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Believe it or not...

The REAL Center of the golf swing is either EXACTLY a "point between the shoulders" or damn close.

Even Hogan and Freddie Couple show this.

+++++pics and audio to follow++++

Brian Manzella

Administrator
On the tee, from Fort Worth, Texas....

Manzella Audio:
http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzella/.Music/purpledot.mp3

hoganwithdot.jpg

Thanks very much for the audio clip. Very informative, and I look forward to the next few weeks and the subsequent information concerning this!!!

Stew

Great audio Brian, you basically prove that the head can't be moving forward close to impact because of axis tilt. If the dot is the center and the hips go forward the head has to come back. Not much since the head is closer to the dot than the hips but a little at least.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Again, I am not saying I came up with anything new.

But, I am admitting where I was wrong. Don't look for that from most teachers.;)

Brian , I know you are busy but could you do a "purple dot" version of the Hogan video with the white "gridlines" behind him? I think that you did an "axis tilt" version before - gridlines mean nobody can argue about what moves or doesn't!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.