Backswing plane issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been having problems with backswing coming under the plane. Takeaway is fine but club begins to come under and in at hip height. Pro suggested steeper shoulder turn to correct this, but that sure doesn't feel right. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Believe me, all I think about is swinging the club up, but apparently I only do this if I turn my shoulders steeper. Results are good but it's not natural for me and I've always thought that steeper shoulder turn could lead to reverse pivot. Would appreciate Brian's input too.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by Ripper

Lately I've been having problems with backswing coming under the plane. Takeaway is fine but club begins to come under and in at hip height. Pro suggested steeper shoulder turn to correct this, but that sure doesn't feel right. Would appreciate your thoughts.

"Big Picture" thoughts:

1. The Plane is the "boss" and your three zones (body, arms, hands) must comply to the Plane; i.e., the Plane doesn't comply to the swing. Any motion of the body or arms that does not permit and/or result in an on-plane motion of the Hands and club is not "correct" -- regardless of how "natural" it may feel.

2. While the Plane is the overall boss, it is useful to think of the Hands as the "boss" of the Pivot. If you wish to be on-plane throughout the swing, think more in terms of the path your Hands should be taking and then make the Pivot comply.

3. It may be a "better looking" swing to be always on-plane, but you only "have" to be on-plane in the downswing.

Your professional may have diagnosed that your "natural" move is taking your hands off-plane and you need to change your Pivot to make it compliant with where your Hands need to go.

A specific thing to check is whether your inside/under condition at hip height is being caused by an over-rotation of the left arm from start-up to hip high.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks rwh - very clear and insightful. Looking at the video everything is fine until hip height without much left arm rotation, but from that point arms swing around too much with or due to flat shoulder turn. Club now much more on plane with steeper backswing shoulder turn but I'm now afraid of overcorrecting and tilting.

great link mb6606 - played 1 frame at a time you can really see the squat in the downswing.

DDL

New
quote: If you wish to be on-plane throughout the swing, think more in terms of the path your Hands should be taking and then make the Pivot comply.

I know this has been discussed to death, but just what is the path the hands take? Is it literally a straight line from address to the top (or end), and then literally a straight line from the top(or end) to the impact hands position?

I have been aiming my hands in straight line from the top towards the ball(or aiming point), however at release point, the hands no longer go towards the ball. The hands now have to get to the impact hands location. I don't know what path the hands take from release to impact. Circular?Using this method, the hands take a detour from the original straight line path. I am probably overcomplicating this.

One is suppposed to keep the mind on the hands at all times, but for me, there is a blindspot from release to impact.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by DDL

quote: If you wish to be on-plane throughout the swing, think more in terms of the path your Hands should be taking and then make the Pivot comply.

I know this has been discussed to death, but just what is the path the hands take? Is it literally a straight line from address to the top (or end), and then a literal straight line from the top(or end) to the impact hands position?

From the down the line view, if there is no (zero) plane shift, the hands would appear to go straight up and down the selected plane line. Most everyone, including PGA Tour players, have a plane shift and you will probably find very few, if any, whose hands stay on only one plane line. I've seen down the line views showing Ernie Els and Adam Scott very close to one plane line. For most golfers, though, the hands appear to be on the Elbow Plane at address and on the Turned Shoulder Plane at the Top (or End) and then somewhere in between at Impact.

From the face on view, the hands of most everyone will appear to move in an arc -- although the downswing arc does not retrace the backswing arc. I know the TGM book says there is such a thing as a straight line delivery path, but I've never been able to find a swing sequence that actually shows it.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by mb6606

Try here - click the face on view for a straight line delivery.
http://www.golfdigest.com/instructi.../instruction/swingsequences/gd1996palmer.html

mb6606,

In my opinion, this sequence does not show a a straight line delivery path of the hands from the face on view. If you place a straight edge from the ball to Arnold's hands when he is at the Top and then advance "frame by frame", the hands can be seen to move in an arc from the Top to Impact.

In the down the line view, Arnold's hands begin on the Elbow Plane, move up to just under the Turned Shoulder Plane and then return to on or slightly above the Elbow Plane at Impact (a double shift).

The straight line is from the "top" and not the "end" of the backswing. Count back 3 frames from contact (Mickelson) and you will see a straight line.

Biffer, the club goes where the hands and arms take it. It really doesn't make any difference where your shoulders are. When you practice the backswing make sure you watch where your arms and club are going. Let's say you take it back with the left hand/arm. At halfway up, the club and left arm should be parallel to the ground and to your target line. From this point on your club should begin to hinge your wrists and it will be in line with your left forearm. If your grip is too strong the club can hinge on too flat a plane and this will pull your arm in the same direction, thus a flat swing. So, it's important to have the grip match where you want the club to go. You can see this in John Daly's swing. His left arm starts straight back but the strong grip forces the club to hinge too much inside, which then pulls his arm inside. Daly eventually raises it upward over his shoulders. This is partly the reason he is able to swing so far on the backswing.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by mb6606

The straight line is from the "top" and not the "end" of the backswing. Count back 3 frames from contact (Mickelson) and you will see a straight line.

I put a dot on the screen on the logo on the back of Phil's glove at the three frames immediately preceding impact. In my opinion, those dots show the hands moving in an arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.