Balance aids: Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcoak

New
Just purchased some balance disks from Izzo. I have been working on them and i really like the way they help with balance and sensing how your weight moves.
Just wondering if anyone else uses them or something like them and thinks they are beneficial.

bcoak

New
I have been using these for about a week now and recommend them, especially as winter approaches. You can really feel how your weight and body moves and it allows you to move more efficiently. It also gives you a decent workout and stretching.

Leek

New
If you really like balance aids, try getting one of those foam half cylinders they use for physical therapy. They cost under $10.
When I was a McGetrick student, he really wanted many of his students to use them. I remember when he put me on one, my alignments improved immediately. Unfortunately, my golf didn't.

Leek

New
I think they can help with setup. I don't believe for a minute they can help the actual swing. Why? The tenuous postion will inhibit the pivot. That's why I said my golf didn't improve from that balance thingy.

Before everyone replies with the famous Sam Snead barefoot story, two things to consider: swinging barefoot is not the same as on some sort of tool that makes balance difficult. Also, we don't have Sam Snead's swing.

Last edited:

bcoak

New
I don't see how they are useful at all, what are they suppose to help in your golf swing?

I think they can help with your balance, being more aware of how the weight shifts in the swing, and also helps with stretching and strength in the core.

My tendency is to get too far away from the ball in the backswing and these seem to help me stay more within my feet and not move off the ball. You can really see how to keep your weight under you and what happens when it moves around.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well....

I think they are just awful for the golf swing.

I think doing exercises on them can help get you in better shape, which WILL help your golf.

Learning to swing on a balance disc is awful because you are learning to swing on an unstable surface. A golf swing is very precise and your body learns to use the muscles in a certain way. When you play golf you are swinging on a stable surface not an unstable one. Balance training is good and has its place in fitness but not in trying to perfect a golf swing. To modify your swing to maintain balance on an unstable surface will hurt the performance on a stable surface. The same goes for swinging a heavy club. Your muscles have to be used in a different way than when swinging a regularly weighted golf club. When I was in high school our coaches had the pitchers on the baseball team throwing 1 pound baseballs. The ones that didn't hurt their shoulders became very proficient at throwing one pound baseballs, but not any better when throwing a regular baseball.

You should exercise and train to increase strength, speed, coordination, balance and flexibilty and then use those attributes when practicing your golf swing to better your game.

Learning to swing on a balance disc is awful because you are learning to swing on an unstable surface. A golf swing is very precise and your body learns to use the muscles in a certain way. When you play golf you are swinging on a stable surface not an unstable one. Balance training is good and has its place in fitness but not in trying to perfect a golf swing. To modify your swing to maintain balance on an unstable surface will hurt the performance on a stable surface. The same goes for swinging a heavy club. Your muscles have to be used in a different way than when swinging a regularly weighted golf club. When I was in high school our coaches had the pitchers on the baseball team throwing 1 pound baseballs. The ones that didn't hurt their shoulders became very proficient at throwing one pound baseballs, but not any better when throwing a regular baseball.

You should exercise and train to increase strength, speed, coordination, balance and flexibilty and then use those attributes when practicing your golf swing to better your game.

Great post! :D

1- Make sure you have good strength in your hips and legs- If you don't train them in some fashion you will begin to lose balance as you age.

2- Balance discs are good for ankle/knee rehab and proprioception - once you get to normal or close to normal spend time on something else although they can be a fun add-in to your training. (to check for basic normality - hopefully you can compare left to right- with your dominant one being a tiny bit better but no huge difference)

3-take care of pain in your swing -take a "Ben Hogan extra slow swing" and see if something feels somewhat sore or really tight- if so address it.

CG

Does anyone have a suggestion to prevent one from rolling to the outside of the right foot at the top of the backswing? I would like to use the ground more but realize I am limited if my right foot rolls going back. Could the real culpret be momentum going back or direction going back?

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
At address are you falling over or are you well balanced? If the answer is that you can stand at address without leaning on the club, then you have good balance. If you have good balance at address and at some point during the swing you lose your balance then you have a problem with your swing, not your balance. If you can make the ball do what you want and lose your balance, then who cares. It didn't bother Bob Gilder or Jack Nicklaus(when he went after his driver he fell back).

One time I went a golf lesson and I was the typical hack with the reverse pivot and quick swing and so I was always ending up on my right foot. The instructor said I had poor balance. I know for a fact this is pure BS as I am in the top 2% of ability for people who downhill ski and also used to be a pretty good rock climber. I spent most of the lesson on one of those stupid balance ball Saturn planet looking things. Needless to say I didn't go back to that guy.

bcoak

New
Every time I have watched that TPI show on The Golf Channel and they go through a pros workout routine almost all of the exercises they perform incorporate balance into the routine with the goal of helping their golfswing.

All I am saying is I these disks have given me a better sense of how my weight moves in my swing and helps me learn how to control my movements and to be more efficient. If I do something too quickly, jerky, or incorrectly, I lose my balance. If I move smoothly and with a feel for my weight I keep my balance and feel much more efficient. When I move off of the disks the feel is still there for both the bad and the good and if anything, I have a BETTER sense of the ground and how to use it.

hcw

New
All I am saying is I these disks have given me a better sense of how my weight moves in my swing and helps me learn how to control my movements and to be more efficient. If I do something too quickly, jerky, or incorrectly, I lose my balance. If I move smoothly and with a feel for my weight I keep my balance and feel much more efficient. When I move off of the disks the feel is still there for both the bad and the good and if anything, I have a BETTER sense of the ground and how to use it.

Didn't you just pretty much answer the question for yourself? If you believe it helps you, good enough!

I saw a drill a few years ago that was credited to Ben Doyle. It involved standing on the edges of a milk crate and swinging a club. I have tried this and it does force good balance. It also is cheaper than the Izzo product. Are any of those who have worked with Ben familiar with the drill and its purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.