Belly Putting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, What do you think of using a belly putter? How does TGM address using one? Is it still angled hinging on an inclined plane, but with the grip fixed to a stationary point? Thanks,

Brian Manzella

Administrator
All "Golfing Machine" putting is not necessarily done with an Angled Hinge.

Belly Putting DOES guarantee LOW POINT will be in the same place every stroke.

Personally, I don't like it....too many other (better) options.

Thanks Brian....I'm considering returning to conventional, but struggling with technique when I don't belly.

Is it beneficial to setup with impact fix and putt from there? Also, how do I create the forward lean and equator strike point on the ball without shortening my swing radius?

Is a good question, I can never understanding why people are using Belly nor boomstick putter. It is always an arguement. My believe to putter is about, how we create a lining shaft effect on impact, without the lining shaft effect, we just won't be able to compress the ball.
For people who is using belly putter, they must be scooping the ball, as they are putting just like a pendulum where on impact the clubhead is going up rather then down.
For those Tour players using Belly putter, I presume is they are playing on a fast green as well as they are getting paid for using it.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
No one tour player that i can think of gets paid to play a certain companies....well i take that back. VERY FEW do...

Usually when tour players are doing endorsement contracts their agents usually setup the woods and putter and sometimes the wedges to be at the players discretion.

Meaning they might have a 10 club contract with X company but if they use their driver and putter they'll get X more but if they don't they are still free to use somebody elses.

Also, its almost impossible to hit up on a putt with a belly putter if you are using it correctly.

Thanks Jim, but if the butt of the belly putter is at a fix point, then we are just putting like a pendulum, then the lowest point of the arc would be either at impact or before impact (obviously subject to the ball position, but I am talking about for normal setup).
If you look at Brain article.
http://www.manzellagolfforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=469 Rolling the Rock

So what would be the best way in using a belly putter?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Oz....if you find the answer to this question you'll understand why you can't hit up if you use it correctly:

What does 99% of every putter made have in common?

If we are using a normal putter, if we are putting and compressing the ball; the butt of the club will never be on a fix point, and it will move forward a little bit

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Good answer, they do all have loft so that would be 100% ;)

----

Think about it, i'm telling you that if you are using a belly putter correctly you cannot hit up on the ball. You will have a nice foward leaning (HINT HINT) shaft with a very consistent arc because its anchored to your body. So if there is something guarranteeing (HINT HINT THINK THINK) that condition, what could make that so?

give ya one more chance then i'll give ya the answer

Do you mean that the anchored point of the butt should not be exactly place above the belly, and it should be place it more on the target side (left of the belly button). Is the "anchored position and setup" that force you to have a leaning shaft? Now, what is that going to do with that 3 degree loft? Are you a Belly Putter users?

Come on Jimbo.. Lets share it.....

[:p]

When I use my belly putter I play the ball slightly behind center, thereby creating a forward leaning shaft and impact before the lowest point in the arc. All of this with a 4 degree lofted putter. Yes, it's a different setup and ball postion than my conventional putting approach, but noone said belly putting would still keep posture and ball position the same

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by oztrainee

Do you mean that the anchored point of the butt should not be exactly place above the belly, and it should be place it more on the target side (left of the belly button). Is the "anchored position and setup" that force you to have a leaning shaft? Now, what is that going to do with that 3 degree loft? Are you a Belly Putter users?

Come on Jimbo.. Lets share it.....

[:p]

soooooooooooooooo close

Almost every putter made in history (not counting certain blade/bullseye style) have *drumroll*

OFFSET:D

So, if you your putter has offset and the shaft is already ahead of the putter and you anchor it somewhere around your belly (hence doesn't move and won't allow you to yip the putter aka let the putter head pass the hands) the only thing that can change is your ball position and once you get that right with a belly putter, you should be able to make almost everything

No, i'm not a belly putter user. I'm a blade/anser type style guy.

Are you sure the offset have affect on the impact? For putter we have offset and onset putter.

Are you sure the actual usage of the offset on the putter?

If I am correct, both offset and on set on the putter is a tool to help you to adjusting your aiming.

Both
The white line on the putter
The length of the putter
The lie angle of the putter
THE OFFSET AND ONSET OF THE PUTTER

Would have effect on your aiming only.

Off-set on normal irons, is only help us to have more time in squaring the club face(it might have a little effect on compression), and I am not sure whether the off-set have any use on compressing the ball.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
oz...all i'm trying to say is this:

1) since almost every putter has offset this automatically puts your hands in front of the putter head. This automatically "sets you up" for a hands foward descending angle of attack.

2) The only way to have an ascending angle of attack with a putter head is if you YIP it or flip at it through impact just like a full swing.

3) If you are using a belly putter the butt end of the putter is anchored into your sterum 'somewhere'. As long as you don't involve your hands anywhere, due to the offset of the putter your hands will be ahead of the ball and you will have a descencing angle of attack. This is why BALL POSITION with a belly putter is so important because as brian says above, "Belly Putting DOES guarantee LOW POINT will be in the same place every stroke."

So if you have the right ball position and don't use your hands, due to the offset of the putter you are guarranteeing yourself a downard angle into the ball.

Got what you are mean.... thanks

Do you think Belly Putter is better then a conventional putter? Since there is a guarantee low point.
Is it easier to manage the tempo if we are using a belly button putter? Since managing tempo is all about understanding of BALAANCE, FORCE... but soft arm, swinging and hinging are important too. Havimg a Belly on hand is very much hitting rather then feeling the shot(In putting prioity, distance control is more important then direction); as we are not exactly swinging the club with Belly Putter. In golf, moving the club is totally different to swinging the club; where one generate inconsistant force and the other is creating power.

Do you think Offset on Putter, would have more influence on the aiming or "angle of attack"

The design of the putter, would it be similar or different to the design of an iron? Where Iron design to have a forward lining shaft.

Jim, I totally agree to what you taught me, since it is a discussion group here... I am just trying to make it interesting to have a bit of brainstorming effect in it....

Thanks for the patient...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I honestly don't know too much about putter design. I just know what i like and what i putt well with. So i really can't help you beyond that.

I've never liked even demoing belly putters, i think partially because i'm not sure how to use it and its so radically different than my normal anser style putter. It feels like the arc of the putter is much too big and i'm just not comfortable.

LOL...i know how to putt, i have a good understanding of the putting stroke but thats about where it ends.

However i would have to guess how much the putter offset will greatly effect how you stroke the putt, not necessarily the aiming part. Because depending on the amount of offset and your stroke you are going to have to find the correct ball position

I still don't understand why a lot of top players on the tour using BELLY and BOOM.. This was why I was making all these silly assumption on my previous posting LOL FASTER GREEN AND THEY GET PAY.

Here is a photo there, which was a photo I took a few months a go. We use this to do putter fitting.
offset.jpg

People putt right because they aim too left and people putt left because they aim right. Without a doubt you have a good understanding of the putting stroke... To make it even better is to get a putter they fit for your aiming....

SIT WELL - minimum amount of effort to keep it stay still in order to maintain absolutely soft arm
Feel well - good impact, as well as you can feedback from the putt to get good distance
AIM WELL - without it, we can never sink the ball

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Picture doesn't work...

A lot of pros use belly putters because they don't know how not to yip. Simple as that. Or they are so "mentally blocked" that they just can't use a blade style putter. They tell themselves, nope that won't work for me and what do you know, it doesn't! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.