Ben Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy might be my new favorite player. The guy is a stone-cold flipper but manages to have one British Open and two other PGA Tour wins under his belt. And he was a couple of shots away from winning another major this week and at the British last month.

Goes to show that once again, there are many ways to do it.

Brian (and staff), what do you think of Ben Curtis?

This guy might be my new favorite player. The guy is a stone-cold flipper but manages to have one British Open and two other PGA Tour wins under his belt. And he was a couple of shots away from winning another major this week and at the British last month.

Goes to show that once again, there are many ways to do it.

Brian (and staff), what do you think of Ben Curtis?

YouTube - AkdenizGolfClub Video 005

from 2005, not sure if its exactly the same as now but its amazing how little lag he has in that

I was rooting for him for that same reason holeout. It shows the average amateur that obsessing about the fullswing doesn't necessarily bring down you scores as much as focusing on the whole game.

I followed him and Couples at Augusta during a practice round this year. How this guy is playing golf for a living is beyond me.

That is one funky move. But he keeps the club in front of him now and doesn't hit the left to left (with exception of 16) too much. Pretty leaky impact.

I don't know who I didn't want to watch more. Jeev M Singh or Curtis. Big props on his EXCELLENT play. Wow.

Chris Sturgess

Yeah, JM Singh looks like he falls asleep through impact. Narcolepsy of the followthrough if you will. Yet he drops 65's like hotcakes on the European Tour and is a really legit player.

Curtis is doing some of the weirdest stuff I've ever seen out there. First of all, he was hitting laser like shots pretty much all day until he hit that pull hook on 16. So his ball striking was awesome regardless. Historically, like when he won the British, he took the club back way inside and then across the line at the top, and then did an over the top move to get back on plane on the downswing. He won the British Open like that. No lag. But his new move this year has been to take it back outside and try to round off his backswing at the top so he doesn't get across the line. It looks awkward and contrived. He still gets his hands pretty deep and slightly across the line I think and he still makes a little over the top move to get back on plane. Still no lag. And this week he really was hitting dead straight lasers with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Sturgess

In the youtube link i don't see a big flip, just an early release and more "pure swing" type move through impact.

Are you serious? Pause it at 42 and 43 seconds. It's a very anti Ben Doyle pitch swing. His hands are not even close to ahead of the clubhead at impact. His left wrist is cupped a little.

Every once in a while I can hit some flat our great shots by trying to flip the club. I just have a tendency to push them right some times.. I think Brian said Lee Janzen flipped his way to two US Open championships.

rcw

New
Sorry... Don't see the big flip fellas... Just more of what Brian would call a pure swinging look through the ball. And he lacks a large amount of accumulator lag not clubhead lag. Not everyone has to look like Sergio. Why don't you go find some videos of Jack from back in the day.. and then tell me he is flipping. Oh yeah he was not a good ball striker, and had a tough time getting his long irons in the air too. He was in contention for another major, guess he is doing something right..hmm

Are you serious? Pause it at 42 and 43 seconds. It's a very anti Ben Doyle pitch swing. His hands are not even close to ahead of the clubhead at impact. His left wrist is cupped a little.

Jim K/ RCW echo my thoughts on Ben C's swing. Who cares if it is an anti-Doyle pattern??? I was sooo cheering him on because I knew another Ben C. win would taste like spoil milk to certain people. The goal is to accelerate the clubhead. All that acc. lag it until your right elbow is in front of your navel mess is unnecessary.

Every once in a while I can hit some flat our great shots by trying to flip the club. I just have a tendency to push them right some times.. I think Brian said Lee Janzen flipped his way to two US Open championships.

What is the textbook definition of a flip? I like to throw the clubhead past my left hand, and I'm not sure if I should call it a flip? I haven't lost any distance where it really counts (driver), but my long iron game is dead... I use to be a beat down masher long iron supastar with a leaky driver...

Tball you are so right on about being able to hit some flat out great shots by throwing the clubhead through impact. My big bad bad is a pull.

Last edited:
Sorry... Don't see the big flip fellas... Just more of what Brian would call a pure swinging look through the ball. And he lacks a large amount of accumulator lag not clubhead lag. Not everyone has to look like Sergio. Why don't you go find some videos of Jack from back in the day.. and then tell me he is flipping. Oh yeah he was not a good ball striker, and had a tough time getting his long irons in the air too. He was in contention for another major, guess he is doing something right..hmm

its not a "big flip" compared to an amateur who flips it. it is a big flip compared to most tour players. nobody said he isn't a good ballstriker. the last line of your post is exactly the point I was making. he shows that being a good GOLFER isn't just about having a good SWING.

he shows that being a good GOLFER isn't just about having a good SWING.

Good looking swing?

I do think his new swing seems contrived even though it worked for him. Was he trying to play a fade yesterday?

As for flip.............I don't think he has an open clubface problem.

Looks like a guy who does not add lots of positive right arm torque (or at least a guy trying to exclusively pull the club) so will not have the shaft up the left arm late..........and a guy who is a sweep releaser on top of that.

I wouldn't of minded seeing him win.....underdog and seems like a good dude. Padraig really is kickin butt though.

BTW I am so glad Charle Wi fell off..............seems like a nice enough guy but I did not want to see a Stack and Tilter win to be honest. (Weir would be about the only guy)

(I don't think he reverse pivots like Wi though)

JB........eeek...fell behind early...

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
CBS did a swingvision analysis of his 2003 swing and his current model. The 2003 swing looked a ton better IMO.

His new swing appears contrived.

dbl

New
I do think his new swing seems contrived even though it worked for him. Was he trying to play a fade yesterday?

Nope. In his interview he told of how he hated the pins at the back right of those greens with a right to left wind. Would either have to draw it (his preference), starting way right or aim 30 yards left for a super fade, which he didn't care for. Seemed like he would hit a mini draw to middle in those cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.