Bent right wrist/axis tilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a relationship between the amount of right wrist bend at impact and the necessary degree of axis tilt. I have been trying to hit the ball with a 'wrinkled wrist' (when you bend the right wrist back, it wrinkles the skin on the back of your hand where it meets the wrist). But in order to hit 'down and out' and not just 'down', it seems like I need more axis tilt. Does this make sense.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

Is there a relationship between the amount of right wrist bend at impact and the necessary degree of axis tilt. I have been trying to hit the ball with a 'wrinkled wrist' (when you bend the right wrist back, it wrinkles the skin on the back of your hand where it meets the wrist). But in order to hit 'down and out' and not just 'down', it seems like I need more axis tilt. Does this make sense.

1. Axis tilt and/or the uncocking left wrist provides the down. Look here if you're having a down problem.

2. Shoulder turn and/or right arm thrust provides the out. Look here if you're having an out problem.

3. The exact amount of axis tilt you need for any shot is that which you have at Impact Fix.

Since you appear to have an "out" problem, you may be tilting the right shoulder too far to the right, in the direction of your right foot, instead of letting the shoulder move downplane, in the direction of the ball.

Well, I believe I have an 'out' problem- I've been sticking the club in the ground a bit hard on my long irons. Divots are in front, but they feel too steep sometimes. But with the strength of a 'bent right wrist thud', I still make the ball 'go'. That's my miss of late.

Perhaps I have misdiagnosed my errors in the past then. I always thought that when I lunged or move my head forward on the downswing (and thereby had the opposite of axis tilt) that that was the cause of me sticking it in the ground and coming over the top-- i.e. too much down, not enough out--. So I would cure that by making sure I kept my head back as I transferred my weight to my left foot and by making sure I had axis tilt. But with your analysis, I would be adding MORE down with what I thought was the cure and thereby exacerbating the problem, huh?

quote:Originally posted by rwh

1. Axis tilt and/or the uncocking left wrist provides the down. Look here if you're having a down problem.

2. Shoulder turn and/or right arm thrust provides the out. Look here if you're having an out problem.

3. The exact amount of axis tilt you need for any shot is that which you have at Impact Fix.

Since you appear to have an "out" problem, you may be tilting the right shoulder too far to the right, in the direction of your right foot, instead of letting the shoulder move downplane, in the direction of the ball.

rwh

New

Perhaps I have misdiagnosed my errors in the past then. I always thought that when I lunged or move my head forward on the downswing (and thereby had the opposite of axis tilt) that that was the cause of me sticking it in the ground and coming over the top-- i.e. too much down, not enough out--. So I would cure that by making sure I kept my head back as I transferred my weight to my left foot and by making sure I had axis tilt. But with your analysis, I would be adding MORE down with what I thought was the cure and thereby exacerbating the problem, huh?

Arch,

Yes, it sounds like you were "exacerbating" (great lawyer's word).

Axis tilt is established as result of starting your downstroke with your hips -- you don't establish axis tilt by a conscious effort to move your head/torso to the right. In fact, ideally, the head stays centered between the feet. Look at the drawings in Hogan's Five Lessons.

rwh,

You know that look that Paula Creamer and Vijay have from behind after impact--the reverse C look-- does that have anything to with axis tilt and, if not, what is that look attibutable to?

rwh

New

rwh,

You know that look that Paula Creamer and Vijay have from behind after impact--the reverse C look-- does that have anything to with axis tilt and, if not, what is that look attibutable to?

Axis tilt.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Arch...i have a problem with not enough "out."

I find it comes from being a little steep and my old OTT swing where i swung TOO FAR LEFT. So i never get the full "out" to a both arm straight position. I start coming IN before i get OUT enough, make sense?

What i do as a drill is make a backswing, make a hip slide, drop the club back on plan and then hit the inside quadrant of the ball and extend to ball arms straight. I take each position at a time letting my computer see the positions. I do this for 5-10 balls, then i go hit 10-20 balls at a half/full speed.

Make sense?

2-H Shoulder Motions: ...... "On Plane Right Shoulder Motion is possible only by tilting its axis-the spine. See 7-14." Ref: 7-14 Hip Turn.

DRW

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If you bend the right wirst "all the way back"—AND keep it there—you need PLENTLY of axis tilt to hit the inside-aft qudrant on the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.