Best fix for an over-the-top move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be interested in hearing your best cures for fixing an over-the-top move. In this case, the more the better!

i say, if you fix the club face, you'll pretty quickly learn to not swing left

cos the ball is now going 50 yards right

I would be interested in hearing your best cures for fixing an over-the-top move. In this case, the more the better!

The main response you will get here will be to "take away the need to."

Like Jim said, the fix depends on why someone is doing it.

What is the typical ballflight (pulls, pull-hooks, pull-slices)?

A lot of the time, the student will need to get the lower body more involved. Let the hips go towards the target while the upper body stays behind the ball, ie increasing axis tilt.

Is that confucius? ;)

maybe ... if i knew what that meant ;)

like someone else said, you take away the need to. you hear all the time how someone has got the move of OTT stuck and stop doing it. if they've been gripping it like corey pavin or rod pampling, and are coming over the top, giving them a somewhat conventional grip the ball will go crazy left.

that'll get 'em swinging right pretty quickly. sod all the muscle memory and the ingrained feeling, whatever. they see that ball flying 50/60 yards left and hooking they aren't gonna swing left for much longer

maybe ... if i knew what that meant ;)

sorry pecky... Brimanz and the rest of you guys are going to learn... I get off topic... allot... kinda like right now...

Whats this thread about agian?.........

Oh yeah... I like what MJ said... make sure you are using that lower body, my dad has a problem with this... he doesnt have an OTT swing, just a major problem with getting his drives to go farther than 200 yards... but it doesnt help that he is 60 and coming off a motorcycle accident he had a few years ago, and a horrible back.:eek:
I know, I fought OTT for a LONG time, and what helped me the most, was really getting that feeling of getting my right (left hip for all you normal people) hip out in front as far as I could... "clearing that left hip and hitting to a firm left side."

C21,
The best cure I have found for this is to make sure my right hip stays in front of my right elbow on the downswing.....this instantly cured my problem (and permanently)...
I'm not sure whether the elbow stays behind the right hip, but that's the feeling...
PS make sure your head stays BEHIND the ball until late in the follow thro...

An exercisse you can try without a club, is to get your right arm in the "at the top" position and then swing thro while making the right elbow physically push the right hip around. Actually jam your right elbow right into the side of your right hip and PUSH...keep the right forearm behind the rifght elbow until "impact"....

Last edited:
My hope with this thread was to highlight as many different swing thoughts or exercises as possible to help all who struggle with an over-the-top move, not just myself as we all have different flaws.

I guess what I was hoping to ultimately achieve was to build a checklist that we can all use when we are out on the range to help go through a process of elimination.

Thanks for the replies; keep them coming!

puttmad, mjstrong, you guys are spot on with your recommendations in my case.

Last edited:
Build yourself an inside approach out of pvc. Very easy and very cheap. You can even build 2 and use them at the same time (helps both outside and inside).

My hope with this thread was to highlight as many different swing thoughts or exercises as possible to help all who struggle with an over-the-top move, not just myself as we all have different flaws.

I guess what I was hoping to ultimately achieve was to build a checklist that we can all use when we are out on the range to help go through a process of elimination.

Thanks for the replies; keep them coming!

puttmad, mjstrong, you guys are spot on with your recommendations in my case.

Here's a few of mine - its probably wrong:p

I found when I didnt shift my weight properly going back, I stuggled with a reverse pivot and would always come OTT. I went around and up but not back. I also used to struggle with an upper body lunge on the DS through the ball - that was an OTT move for me as well

What I found was a good shift right ( see Brians BS pivot article) so I was properly behinf the ball at the top and then a feeling that my upper body stayed behind the ball as I swung through and left cured my OTT move

"Best fix for an over-the-top move?"

If it is due to an open clubface and/or the student is a slicer/flipper:

-Never Slice Again 2.0.​

If you are doing it for aesthetic purposes (like the so-called "Line-Drawers") and not for ballflight......

........then it very well may be best to look at Hogan, Snead, Mickelson, Palmer, etc. etc. and leave er be.

(or at least question your motives and switch your focus from aesthetics to ballflight)

birdie man, I have all of Brian's videos and they are outstanding. But, I enjoy hearing from member's of the forum as well who struggle with the same problem.

As we say in the instruction business, some time it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Ah yesyes c2....I didn't look to see who the original poster was. (just saw the title and responded fast at work)

NSA's a heck of a vid though.....................

All I know is that to me.....if you were to take one thing from it on fixing a too open-faced, too outside-in downswing it would be to fix the face (by making more closed...perhaps more than one way) and also the pivot (flatter) TO affect the path.

Are you a golf teacher c2??

C21,
The best cure I have found for this is to make sure my right hip stays in front of my right elbow on the downswing.....this instantly cured my problem (and permanently)...
I'm not sure whether the elbow stays behind the right hip, but that's the feeling...
PS make sure your head stays BEHIND the ball until late in the follow thro...

An exercisse you can try without a club, is to get your right arm in the "at the top" position and then swing thro while making the right elbow physically push the right hip around. Actually jam your right elbow right into the side of your right hip and PUSH...keep the right forearm behind the rifght elbow until "impact"....
Thanks puttmad. I've been struggling to figure out how to get my hips leading my pivot and this seemed to be an instant fix. I hope it's permanent for me too.

Here's my favorites...

Favorite method -- fix the clubface

Favorite drill -- use two golf club boxes to "swing under the stick" (hasn't failed me yet)

Favorite swing thought -- belt ahead of bow tie

Although I did once tell a "student" to just hit the ball at 4 o'clock, because I knew that was all he needed. Worked like a charm. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.