beta torque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
XYZABG.jpg

who cares what muscles are involved in beta torque anyway...once you know what it is, you use whatever muscles you need to use to do it.

66er

New
Something I've probably misunderstood so I avoid completely, do you have to lay off the club to tumble in the first place? Just practicing a slow downswing it seems very strange massively shut club head. I know what it is but practically it makes no sense to me.

Erik_K

New
Good question, 66er. I don't think you HAVE to have a laid off shaft but if you are crossing the line, say, and the shaft is already coming down rather steeply, then maybe you don't need much tumble at that point. If I am not mistaken, tumbling is a shaft steepening move.

Erik

Effect of strong left hand grip

All things being relative, does a strong left hand grip require less beta / tumbling than a manzella neutral? My reasoning is that a strong left hand grip would pre set the left arm into a supinated or "turned" over position with a square club face, therefore any more pronation or tumble or beta would cause a closing of the face and duck hooks. Opposite for neutral grip

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Something I've probably misunderstood so I avoid completely, do you have to lay off the club to tumble in the first place? Just practicing a slow downswing it seems very strange massively shut club head. I know what it is but practically it makes no sense to me.

The club head MUST be under the plane of the hand path, or laid off, in order to tumble. It's a necessity.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Good question, 66er. I don't think you HAVE to have a laid off shaft but if you are crossing the line, say, and the shaft is already coming down rather steeply, then maybe you don't need much tumble at that point. If I am not mistaken, tumbling is a shaft steepening move.

Erik

Tumble is a sweet spot steepening move, not shaft per say. At least not the way I think you're describing it, Erik. It only steepens from being laid off. So it's not like you can save a step and just keep a steep shaft the whole swing.

lia41985

Is beta torque applied around the axis of the coupling point?
What is instantaneous helical/screw axis theory?

You're telling me I just "took that" for free?

Shit.

Not unless you do it just for fun.

What is play? What's any game? What's Jeopardy? Is playing that game jeopardizing you?

You must not be playing it right or it must not be much of a game.

Not to be rude but I think it might just be you.

Last edited:
The club head MUST be under the plane of the hand path, or laid off, in order to tumble. It's a necessity.
Does it matter when you lay off the shaft? Could you do it at the top of the backswing before your hands move down again or is it better to lay it off when the hands are coming down (similar to what Sergio is doing)?

To me it feels strange to lay it off when the hands are moving down just to reverse that shortly after.
When I pull down the hands a laid off shaft would automatically steepen. In order to lay off the shaft when pulling down the hands I would have to actively lay off the shaft while if I already had it laid off I would only have to 'hold' that position (which seems easier).

Does that make sense? So what would be better?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
First off the hands shouldn't pull down right away, which would indeed steepen a laid off shaft. The first move is away and that could be a real good time to lay it down.

To answer your question, it's impossible to say what is better. Hogan, McDowell and Fowler types lay it off in the last part of the backswing. Cross the liners lay it off deep into the downswing and guys like Garcia, Faldo, and Price kind of do it in the transition. It's a whatever works for your kind of deal.

The bottom line is that the shaft has to be laid off in the downswing, before tumbling. IMHO a lay off in the transition is the most logical time to do it. I don't feel that I do it actively with the hands/forearms, rather that the torso causes it. And I'm sheeat hot at that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.