Beyond TGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope no one minds if I start a new thread, but Damon posted something in the recently-brought-back-to-life research thread that I thought was important enough to discuss independently.

Here's what Damon had to say:
Abandoned...
1. Sustain the line of compression,
2. Heavy Hit,
3. Hinging during the impact interval,
4. Old Ball Flight Laws,
5. Concept that people either 'swing' or 'hit'

New...
1. D Plane(validated by Trackman)
2. Spin rate controls(Trackman and other launch monitors)
3. Brian Manzella

There have been a number of debates that have flared up recently which involve one side using old TGM speak and the other side saying "that stuff has been disproved."

I find myself sort of agreeing with both sides. What I mean is this: I know that Trackman does disprove the MECHANICS of all the things Damon lists above. But does it disprove the feel of some of them?

And I know that the new stuff is true mechanically in terms of trackman data, but what exactly does the golfer do with it?

So, in terms of the physics, there is no heavy hit and no ability to manipulate hinge actions right around the ball. But isn't it also true that folks who THINK they are using hinge actions actually get the clubface in a different position at impact that helps them to control the flight of the ball? And isn't it possible that trying to achieve a "heavy hit," even though no such think truly exists, helps to snap the kinetic chain in a way that creates more clubhead speed? Finally, there is no such thing as PURE swinging or hitting, but don't some people find they hit the ball better when the focus on the FEEL of either A) pulling while monitoring PP#2 and PP#4 or B) pushing while monitoring PP#1 and PP#3?

So I think there's a confusion in some of these debates. If the TGMers are trying to defend the actual mechanics of some of these things, then they are flat out wrong.

But I worry that the folks on the other side (who I agree with - I learned the TGM I learned HERE, and not from the book, and I have NO allegiance to the book) also need to see that sometimes there are some TGM feels that have YET to be replaced by Manzellisms. I'm sure one day they will be, but we seem to be in a transition phase here. Lots of us are still going back to Building Blocks and The Movie, which still use TGM explanations. So sometimes the Manzella folks respond just by saying "that's been blown up." That's fine as a rejection of TGM dogmatism, but what does it do for folks like me?

In other words, when I look at Damon's second list, I see LESS stuff that I can USE in my golf swing. I see results that show that TGM elements were literally, mechanically, wrong, but there's not necessarily something there to replace it.

I understand the D plane fundamentals and I get that the old ball flight laws were wrong. But when Brian lists out all the ways we can measure the clubhead in 3D, it only makes it MORE CONFUSING for me to think about how to swing. (And I think that's why we keep seeing new thread that say "please explain this D plane" thing, and the answers, while technically sound, don't necessarily translate into something one can take to the course.)

One example then: "Tracing a straight plane line" may be wrong, but I don't see what substitutes for it. "Zero out the path" may be something that a great instructor can do FOR their student while on Trackman, but what do I do to try to hit the ball consistently straight? TGM says "trace a straight plane line" and Manzella "blows that up" - but then.... I'm just blown up. When I watch Brian Gay swing, I can't tell you how he's "zeroing out the path" but it does look to me like he's tracing a straight plane line - like he's doing the basic moves that Brian describes in Building Blocks.

Maybe pattern #13 will answer ALL these questions. But until it arrives, I would hope there could be a little less acrimony between those who are still using some TGM language and those experts who have seen the trackman results.

JeffM

Fronesis

I applaud your open-mindedness, and your willingness to carefully consider both sides of this debate.

I have a few questions for you.

You wrote-: "What I mean is this: I know that Trackman does disprove the MECHANICS of all the things Damon lists above."

How does data from Trackman disprove the belief that there are different mechanics/biomechanics involved in a golfer who is a swinger (eg. Phil Mickelson) versus a hitter (eg. Lee Trevino)?

Secondly, how does Trackman data demonstrate that an expert golfer cannot shape a shot using different hinging actions? I can readily accept the fact that the clubface is not closing (or undergoing layback) during the impact interval, but that doesn't mean that golfer cannot use hinging actions to significantly influence ball flight.

You also wrote-: "I understand the D plane fundamentals and I get that the old ball flight laws were wrong. But when Brian lists out all the ways we can measure the clubhead in 3D, it only makes it MORE CONFUSING for me to think about how to swing."

I can understand your dilemma. Now that I better understand the D-plane concept, I can understand how three D-plane factors affect the ball flight pattern - i) clubface direction; ii) clubhead path; iii) clubhead attack angle. However, I have not read any advice on this forum about how to use the D-plane concept constructively in terms of golf mechanics/biomechanics. When I watch PGA tour golfers, I have noted that they can hit their approach shots straight at the flag and I can perceive no factual evidence from the swing videos that they are consciously aiming left/swinging left. Can you?

Jeff.

Feels are subjective and often very customized. I feel like I'm tracing the plane line (on the takeaway only) and then 'hitting.' The common saying is 'the feel isn't always real' and I agree with that. So while I may not actually be tracing the plane line and 'hitting', I'm not going to change my feels anytime soon because I'm hitting the ball quite well and shooting anywhere from 68-75 for the past month on courses that are in the 135-144 slope range.

I think it's very important for the instructor to have as accurate information as possible. The student probably doesn't need to have as accurate as possible information, they just need whatever they need to execute proper mechanics on a consistent basis.

The new ball flight laws are probably the exception. I would suggest learning those because not only does it make working the ball easier to understand and execute, but from a basic level the golfer can now figure out what's going on with the clubface and club path after hitting a shot just by watching the ball fly. And they don't really have to change their feel.

3JACK

ggsjpc

New
I hope no one minds if I start a new thread, but Damon posted something in the recently-brought-back-to-life research thread that I thought was important enough to discuss independently.

Here's what Damon had to say:

There have been a number of debates that have flared up recently which involve one side using old TGM speak and the other side saying "that stuff has been disproved."

I find myself sort of agreeing with both sides. What I mean is this: I know that Trackman does disprove the MECHANICS of all the things Damon lists above. But does it disprove the feel of some of them?

And I know that the new stuff is true mechanically in terms of trackman data, but what exactly does the golfer do with it?

So, in terms of the physics, there is no heavy hit and no ability to manipulate hinge actions right around the ball. But isn't it also true that folks who THINK they are using hinge actions actually get the clubface in a different position at impact that helps them to control the flight of the ball? And isn't it possible that trying to achieve a "heavy hit," even though no such think truly exists, helps to snap the kinetic chain in a way that creates more clubhead speed? Finally, there is no such thing as PURE swinging or hitting, but don't some people find they hit the ball better when the focus on the FEEL of either A) pulling while monitoring PP#2 and PP#4 or B) pushing while monitoring PP#1 and PP#3?

So I think there's a confusion in some of these debates. If the TGMers are trying to defend the actual mechanics of some of these things, then they are flat out wrong.

But I worry that the folks on the other side (who I agree with - I learned the TGM I learned HERE, and not from the book, and I have NO allegiance to the book) also need to see that sometimes there are some TGM feels that have YET to be replaced by Manzellisms. I'm sure one day they will be, but we seem to be in a transition phase here. Lots of us are still going back to Building Blocks and The Movie, which still use TGM explanations. So sometimes the Manzella folks respond just by saying "that's been blown up." That's fine as a rejection of TGM dogmatism, but what does it do for folks like me?

In other words, when I look at Damon's second list, I see LESS stuff that I can USE in my golf swing. I see results that show that TGM elements were literally, mechanically, wrong, but there's not necessarily something there to replace it.

I understand the D plane fundamentals and I get that the old ball flight laws were wrong. But when Brian lists out all the ways we can measure the clubhead in 3D, it only makes it MORE CONFUSING for me to think about how to swing. (And I think that's why we keep seeing new thread that say "please explain this D plane" thing, and the answers, while technically sound, don't necessarily translate into something one can take to the course.)

One example then: "Tracing a straight plane line" may be wrong, but I don't see what substitutes for it. "Zero out the path" may be something that a great instructor can do FOR their student while on Trackman, but what do I do to try to hit the ball consistently straight? TGM says "trace a straight plane line" and Manzella "blows that up" - but then.... I'm just blown up. When I watch Brian Gay swing, I can't tell you how he's "zeroing out the path" but it does look to me like he's tracing a straight plane line - like he's doing the basic moves that Brian describes in Building Blocks.

Maybe pattern #13 will answer ALL these questions. But until it arrives, I would hope there could be a little less acrimony between those who are still using some TGM language and those experts who have seen the trackman results.

If I may offer a simplified way to use d plane to help your swing. As i'm sure you've read, in order to hit it straight with an iron, a player needs to aim or swing left some amount. What you want to do first is assuming a solid hit and a nice flat left wrist at impact, is to only analyse shots that start where you want them to start. If the ball isn't starting where you want, focus on that first. Once that is happening, use the curve of the ball(if any) to determine your path relative to the face. For example, let's say you are trying to hit it straight. A shot flies 3/4 of the way toward the target then starts to fall right. This should tell you that your swing is more left than necessary to hit it straight. It won't do that person any good to aim more left because there is already too much left in the swing. Use any of Brian's thoughts that will help to make a swing more right. Always check face first then see what the ball does after.

This is a real simplified way to use d plane to make self adjustments.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Basically....

I need to write a mini-book to properly answer all of this stuff....

And I will.

But for now?

Why in the hell does anyone think that TrackMan—all by its little doppler radar self—has "disproven" all the SCIENTIFIC MISTAKES in The Golfing Machine.

All TrackMan shows is ball flight, D-Plane, and path vs. angle of attack vs. true path.

All the other stuff that has been proven incorrect was done so by other means, and other REAL PHDs.

Got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.