Body stall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone talk about the body and hip stall I keep hearing about? When and where do they happen? Do they happen at the same time?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Most golfers simply do not shift their center of pressure (the center of all their interaction with the ground) to the left of their center of mass soon enough.

If you don't do this, THE ONLY WAY you can sort of turn through impact is to throw your center of pressure BEHIND the center of your mass. Spin out city.

So if you don't spin out, and you don't shift left soon enough—stall city.

Most golfers simply do not shift their center of pressure (the center of all their interaction with the ground) to the left of their center of mass soon enough.

If you don't do this, THE ONLY WAY you can sort of turn through impact is to throw your center of pressure BEHIND the center of your mass. Spin out city.

You make it sound like something a golfer does not want to do. I have read about a stall that is being teached.

Brian, who would be a good example on tour who stalls and plays well? Compared to someone who doesn't stall and plays well?

Is there another way this can be explained?

I had a lesson recently and here is what was causing my body stall:

From the top, I fired my hips right away. Then, the hips had to wait as the arms caught up. Different people can "force" the hips more and more open and avoid some of the catch-up process. I'm not able to force it much, so my left arm started to bend and I swing very much underplane because it was the only place to go with any amount of power.

What needs to be happening is that the arms come down toward impact much more than the hips are opening. Once they get "together" or "synced up", the hips can fire as hard as possible and everything will work out.

I had a lesson recently and here is what was causing my body stall:

From the top, I fired my hips right away. Then, the hips had to wait as the arms caught up. Different people can "force" the hips more and more open and avoid some of the catch-up process. I'm not able to force it much, so my left arm started to bend and I swing very much underplane because it was the only place to go with any amount of power.

What needs to be happening is that the arms come down toward impact much more than the hips are opening. Once they get "together" or "synced up", the hips can fire as hard as possible and everything will work out.

arms come down before impact much more than the hips are opening???

arms come down before impact much more than the hips are opening???

Yes, the hands move from the top a whole lot more than the hips move around. So, in the same timeframe, the arms going from the top of the backswing all the way to the right elbow being close to the ribs while the hips have only turned to parallel to the target line (approximately).

Yes, the hands move from the top a whole lot more than the hips move around. So, in the same timeframe, the arms going from the top of the backswing all the way to the right elbow being close to the ribs while the hips have only turned to parallel to the target line (approximately).

Wouldn't this be a body stall? the arms travel much more so they can "connect" with the ribs. If the arms
travel much more than the hips have turned toward the target the body must move slower then the arms or get to a point and stall so the arms can catch up and then go throw impact together.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this be a body stall? the arms travel much more so they can "connect" with the ribs. If the arms
travel much more than the hips have turned toward the target the body must move slower then the arms or get to a point and stall so the arms can catch up and then go throw impact together.

That's exactly the faulty logic that lead me to never figure this out on my own.

If you fire the hips early, they have to wait. So you want to get into a place where everything can turn in unison. The hips still lead, but if the go too soon, they stop moving. I can show you my own swing videos before and after if you like.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok....

The hips are speeding up from the top and hit PEAK SPEED near the time they get square on the downswing....around lead arm parallel.

AT this point you have to pump some energy into the clubhead by applying all three torques—on plane (alpha), tumble off plane (beta) and about the shaft (gamma). If you are too open at this point—torso or pelvis—you are toast and will be left to try to apply those torques with your arms only.

So, how do you get this right?

Easy....you have to RETAIN as much of the hip rotation as possible in the transition, sort of a back into the target move. They pick up some rotational velocity backing in, but can allow you to do THE THING you have to do besides retain some turn—get your center of pressure over toward your left foot.

Simply, from the top, back in toward the left leg until about lead arm parallel and from there you can release the crap out of it.

Simply, from the top, back in toward the left leg until about lead arm parallel and from there you can release the crap out of it.

If you are backing in, wouldn't this be a stall of the lower body and center to allow the lead arm to get into the parallel position then go into release ?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"...you have to RETAIN as much of the hip rotation as possible in the transition, sort of a back into the target move. They pick up some rotational velocity backing in, but can allow you to do THE THING you have to do besides retain some turn—get your center of pressure over toward your left foot."

"Jerry"...you will be picking up hip rotational velocity all the way to lead arm parallel....

That's Increasing speed....

Not "stalling"

Status
Not open for further replies.