Brian - re:SD...and the club in hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything to consider when employing the SD pattern with say a driver vs. a long iron vs. a mid iron vs. short iron?

Does the release point or point the toss begins change? What about the take away? Would it still be the same for say a 9i or PW (the path of the hands is what I'm asking about).

THanks!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I tested out the soft draw on all clubs last night, it works with all clubs even the short irons. Even with the short irons you can hit very nice high "soft draws."

However a few main keys are:

1) Make sure that left thumb (for the lefties it would be right thumb) is more "under" the club at the top.
2) Remember, 1 yard to the right of target. Don't aim to far right or try and swing too far right.

I tested out the soft draw on all clubs last night, it works with all clubs even the short irons. Even with the short irons you can hit very nice high "soft draws."

1) Make sure that left thumb (for the lefties it would be right thumb) is more "under" the club at the top.
2) Remember, 1 yard to the right of target. Don't aim to far right or try and swing too far right.

Thanks! I'll have to work on that LT more under at the top.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Anything to consider when employing the SD pattern with say a driver vs. a long iron vs. a mid iron vs. short iron?

Does the release point or point the toss begins change? What about the take away? Would it still be the same for say a 9i or PW (the path of the hands is what I'm asking about).

THanks!

Practice the "toss" and the "point" and the "one more point" drills with every club.

The FEELS may be different, but the pattern is mostly the same.

Jim,

Which is easier for you SD or SF and why?

Thx

when you do the "one more point" with your thumb under the club, your right hand isn't on top of your left, it's next to it, correct? in other words, the knuckles on your left hand look at the sky, not to the left?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim,

Which is easier for you SD or SF and why?

Thx

I do not know how the SF works, i am going to see brian for a tune up this weekend so maybe he could explain it to me. I would say that for me, i need to stay more towards the fade side of the matrix. I would say you could put me about 1/4 of the way from the center towards Never Hook Again.

I used to be a slicer and just really learned how to keep that face shut and swing to the right. My problems becomes when i let my grip go a bit strong and swing a bit too right my ballstriking degrades significantly. I like to play a very manzella-ish neutral grip with a more "outside-ish" takeaway but a very orthodox downswing with a lot of left forearm rotation.

This makes my misses pushes and fades which i can manage a lot more than pulls and hooks.

I do not know how the SF works, i am going to see brian for a tune up this weekend so maybe he could explain it to me. I would say that for me, i need to stay more towards the fade side of the matrix. I would say you could put me about 1/4 of the way from the center towards Never Hook Again.

I used to be a slicer and just really learned how to keep that face shut and swing to the right. My problems becomes when i let my grip go a bit strong and swing a bit too right my ballstriking degrades significantly. I like to play a very manzella-ish neutral grip with a more "outside-ish" takeaway but a very orthodox downswing with a lot of left forearm rotation.

This makes my misses pushes and fades which i can manage a lot more than pulls and hooks.

Jim,

What day you going down? I'm leaving to see Brian tomorrow. Plan on driving, but still can get a last minute flight. You flying Southwest?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I drive, it's only a 6 hour-ish ride usually. I will be in this weekend; arriving the 20th and have lessons scheduled for 21st and 22nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.