Bunker Play - Bottom of Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I own all of Brian's videos, so I've seen CFF and Over and Out.

I'm a (former) flipper. When I was a flipper I also had a fantastic short game, and could usually get up and down from just about anywhere. I played everything WAY off my back foot with a strong grip, and then I timed a flip.

Now that I don't play that way, my fatal flaw in pitches and chips is to flip it. But this won't work since I'm now bent over properly with the ball further forward in my stance. This usually happens once a round, when the pressure is on; this usually results in my hitting it very fat and moving the ball very little at all.

I wish there was a Manzella short game video, but in the absence of that, I've been working on chips and pitches from the Building Blocks Video. This has been working very well for me, and aside from that one shot a round, I'm hitting very crisp short shots - a lot of them close to the pin.

All of that is longwinded context for my question. In focusing on NOT flipping it, I am finding it VERY difficult to make certain I hit behind the ball on bunker shots. In every other shot my thought is FLW, and I'm trying not to flip it, but this means that in bunkers I often just hit the ball first - with predictable results.

I'm not really sure how one hits behind the ball without flipping it!

In OaO Brian never really says much about a FLW, but given what he says there about various hinge actions, I assume one should maintain a FLW and hit the ball like a normal pitch shot, but hit behind it. Should I play the ball much further up in my stance? Do others have advice on how to think about this shot? My instincts now - as trained by CFF - is to reach forward with a FLW and hit the ball, so how can I better approach a bunker shot so that I don't flip it but still hit behind it?

in OaO he shows you how to train to hit that line behind the ball. your not actually trying to hit the ball in a bunker shot. your trying to hit the SAND behind the ball.

so do not focus on the ball. focus on a spot behind the ball, and hit THAT

your trying to hit a specific grain of sand

I like to think I'm a good bunker player, and I'll say that the number one thing I see that other people do differently from me (and almost none of them are "good" bunker players) is that they play the ball WAY too far back in the stance.

What pecky said - you're really aiming for a spot, not the ball.

Sounds silly but thinking about swinging left helps me not hit it fat in the bunker......and add more spin. Probably a very release oriented thought.

I'm a (former) flipper. When I was a flipper I also had a fantastic short game, and could usually get up and down from just about anywhere. I played everything WAY off my back foot with a strong grip, and then I timed a flip.

This is an interesting post to me because I have struggled with the exact same issue. I am now 30-40 yards longer with every club, but all of those shots around the green are so much harder for me now.

In one of my lessons with Brian, we spent some time on his short game matrix. He has multiple shots, and some of them actually do include a little bit of flipping. This really helped me to get height back on my shots around the green, but I am still struggling a bit with it. It is funny that I used to be a flipping master, and now it is really hard to do it!

But to answer one of your questions, in the sand, I just play a basic pitch shot with a normal flat left wrist. I play the ball forward and aim for a grain of sand in the middle. I am pretty good with this method, but I struggle with the others in OaO.

I have become decent out of the sand recently...

the two things that really helped....

play the ball of my left ankle

know that the ball will land about where the sand will. Concentrate on making that certain sound in hitting the sand and making the sand fly to where I want to ball to land.

My miss in the sand is always missing the sand and hitting the ball 3 times as far as intended, taking no sand. I never miss hitting it fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.