Camera Recommendation: Golf Swing Video only and cheap as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of folks on here – including Brian, of course – do a lot of video work. I also know that Brian sometimes recommends cameras, as he did about 6 months ago in this thread. Indeed, I have an old Sanyo that Brian recommended long ago, but I don't know if I ever figured out how to make it capture in high speed so as to get clear frames from a swing.

So I'm looking to upgrade. My wife runs a Nikon dSLR for our photo needs, so this will be used ONLY for the golf swing. I don't care much about battery life, still photo image quality, etc. My priorities are therefore:
1) quality video of the golf swing
2) price
*Oh, and I'll be using this on a Mac, but I can't see that that matters at all these days...

Any recommendations or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

TPG

New
Casio EX-FC100

Casio High-Speed Exilim EX-FC100 with Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card has worked well for me. I recently posted some video from it titled "hitting it fat" if you want to check it out - it was taken at 210fps.

Here's my take on it. I'm no camera expert, but I did buy a camera for golf swing only. I know from other purchases that it's what you don't know that bites you in the butt. This is why it I simply bought what the one the instructors choose. If it works for them, it will work for me and I don't have to agonize over a choice.

Last December, that was the Casio EX-FH-20. I got it for $275 on Amazon, because the new, FH-25 one was in the works. Since then they have come out with the smaller cameras, EX-FC-100, etc.

The cost difference is not extreme. The new FH-25 on Amazon is $330 or so.

I suggest consideration of some differences. Smaller is only better if it's useful for you to pocket the camera. A bulkier camera is easier from an ergonomics standpoint, controls bigger, LCD bigger. Batteries are AA versus Lithium re-chargeable. Stands to reason that optics are better in bigger camera, more zoom.

The biggy is that the FC-100 lacks the choice of Shutter Priority settings. According to what I have read, both from Brian and the Titleist site, you need to set the camera to Shutter Priority. This means that you don't want the shutter speed to change based on changes in exposure (lightness/darkness). That doesn't mean the FC-100 doesn't take nice video.

I've used mine a few times. It is useful. If you don't have someone to do the camera work, then you need a tripod. I bought the 16 gig card, but think 8 gig is more than enough. Make sure it is the high speed model. The 10 second shutter delay works fine. You will find yourself screwing around trying to get the positioning just right. Then you go back and forth looking at the LCD on the camera. Once again. Bigger LCD is better. Still hard to see it.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks to both of you for the great replies - much appreciated! Sounds like the Casios have done a good job of grabbing the market for affordable cameras that do highspeed video.

Softconsult: if I'm understanding you right, the main weakness in the cheaper FC-100 is that without "shutter priority" the camera might decide to change the shutter speed based on exposure. So in bright light I might get very fast shutter speed and therefore a good super slomo of the swing, but in low light conditions the camera might change the shutter speed and my video wouldn't be as good frame by frame. Am I following that right?

Thanks again, and if anyone else has thoughts, please let me here them!

ej20

New
Thanks to both of you for the great replies - much appreciated! Sounds like the Casios have done a good job of grabbing the market for affordable cameras that do highspeed video.

Softconsult: if I'm understanding you right, the main weakness in the cheaper FC-100 is that without "shutter priority" the camera might decide to change the shutter speed based on exposure. So in bright light I might get very fast shutter speed and therefore a good super slomo of the swing, but in low light conditions the camera might change the shutter speed and my video wouldn't be as good frame by frame. Am I following that right?

Thanks again, and if anyone else has thoughts, please let me here them!

You can pick up a Casio EX FC150 for around $230 including postage.Compact,shutter priority and takes good indoor pics as well as high speed movies due to the backlit sensor.

The FC100 is an old model.Not only does it not have shutter priority,the picture quality is nowhere near as good.

I got an FC150 and very happy with it.My only gripe is the low resolution in 420fps mode.Hope the next generation will fix that.

I think the description of what Shutter Priority setting does is correct, but like I said I am no expert.

I would be extremely cautious about the last recommendation for the even smaller EX-FS10. No Shutter Priority, and even smaller LCD. Who cares about the price if you suffer buyers remorse. Obviously, there have to be reasons that the smaller cameras are less expensive. Think tiny cell phone with dinky buttons that are hard to see, and fumbling fat fingers.

Both Brian and Michael Jacobs used the Casio to show me specific issues. My experience, limited, with shooting my swing is that to really use it as a feedback tool, you shoot a little, then look at it on the camera. Then adjust, shoot some more, and look to verify the change. I don't want to be staring at an even smaller LCD. If you are simply going to transfer to PC for viewing then should work fine.

Here's another thought for you relative to frames per second setting. At this stage I am interested in what my swing looks like in, let's say, Macro mode. Not trying to dissect into things like wrist position at impact. So I have used the 210 fps setting. Keep in mind that I am doing this shooting on my own. So I let the thing run for a 3 or 4 swings. Even at 210 it's a pain to go through viewing the video trying to get to the right spot. At 210 audio recording works so you can describe the shot. Audio is dis-abled at the higher frame rates. At higher rates like 420 fps you end up with a slow-mo video that really takes time to view. In other words at 420 you would want to create a short video of one swing.

What I do is transfer to laptop and then use Golf Analysis software, I have C-Swing, to view the video. This way I can watch the video in 7 different speeds, and frame by frame. All of this takes a lot of time. I have not ventured into Editing. I have to force myself to be patient, go to the range, and spend the hours necessary to do the video recording. I am, by nature, very impatient, so it's a struggle.

Finally, there is the "Oh my God" factor. This describes the reaction when what you are seeing is at odds with your glamorized, imagined, mental image of your swing.

ZAP

New
I actually got the green light from my wife on getting a new digital camera. She wants it to be small enough to carry easily in her purse. So......I am looking at the Casio models Brian recommended to see if either of them fits the bill.

We have two others from a couple of years ago that are simply too big and do not take high speed video.

I actually got the green light from my wife on getting a new digital camera. She wants it to be small enough to carry easily in her purse. So......I am looking at the Casio models Brian recommended to see if either of them fits the bill.

We have two others from a couple of years ago that are simply too big and do not take high speed video.

For that I'd recommend EX-FH100. It has the new back-lit sensor for low light, large LCD (excellent quality in my opinion), shutter priority & fits easily in a purse or even in a pocket. Amazon sells it for $285.

ULtra wide-angle lens (24mm) is great for indoors & scenery and it's 10x optical zoom so pretty good telephoto too.

ej20

New
The best feature of the FH100 and the FC150 is the 120fps mode.It has plenty enough fps for the golf swing and the resolution is half acceptable at 480p.Set shutter priority to 1/1000 sec and you have blur free shaft videos and you don't need full sunlight to film it.

I would not be a cheap ass and buy the older FC100 or FS100.You will regret it.

ZAP

New
Sounds like good advice. What I need to do is go to a store that has them and take a good look. I don't want to regret my next camera like i do the one I have now.

The new Canon Powershot 4000 IS does 240 fps I believe. It's relatively small as well. I don't own it, just saw the commercial for it.

The new Canon Powershot 4000 IS does 240 fps I believe. It's relatively small as well. I don't own it, just saw the commercial for it.

That Canon does not have any frame rates between 30fps & 240fps(320x240) and I could not find in the specs if shutter priority (Tv) i available in movie modes.

Casio's 120flps 640x480 is what I use most for swings.

Just a follow up: thanks to everyone who helped me out here.

I just found a Casio EX-FC150 used on eBay for $100. It didn't have a charger, but I ordered one of those on Amazon for $10. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

With any luck I'll be able to post some swings next week!

Does anyone know if any of these casio cameras can be used indoors to film a golf swing or do you need to be outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.