Can I catch my buddies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I think I'm a hitter:
-i don't get to parralel
-punch elbow
-face stays closed(sorry I meant not as open)
-I push instead of pull
-upright plane
Now the problem, I'm around a 4 index and all my buddies are around the same but they ALL outdrive me. I know, I know it's not about who can drive the furthest but I'm living in the real world and this crap is getting old. I'm sick of hitting first, I guess I'm not man enough to deal with it:)
Now the question, is it hard to switch to swinging? I know Brian did it but I'm sure he has more natural talent than me so it may not be as easy for us "regular" guys. I tried swinging yeaterday with the driver and got some mixed results but I did notice a more solid feel. Also a little fade but I think that might have been from getting quick from the top so anyway anybody else made the switch and what about swinging with the driver and hitting with the irons?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
My "hits" goe as far as my "swings" if i'm doing it correctly.

Do you have a driver properly setup for your hitting motion? This is extremely important because a driver for a "hitter" is going to end up much different that what a "swinger" would have.

For instance i still have my "hitting" driver setup and it is NO WHERE near what my "swinging" setup is. It is has a lot less loft, has a closed face angle (compared to my square to slightly open face angle for swinging), a very tip stiff shaft, and other fitting parameters as well.

So if the technique is there the swing speed should be there and then it's just getting something that fits you on a monitor.

Jim that's a great point that I never thought of but now that you mention it I have been the longest with tip stiff shafts and I've got an evo lite coming as we speak. Did you learn this on your own or is there some actual reason you can explain it with? This could be it's own post and very eye opening. BTW-Even though I build clubs as a hobby and have Loft/Lie machine and freq. analyzer, digital scale.......All that crap but I've never actually been fitted with an launch monitor and I know I need too but it just hasn't happened yet.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I actually read something by Johnny Miller, that seniors don't lose strength as much as flexibility and most senior tour players use 86+ gram shafts, they have the strengh to bend them, but don't have the flexibility to bend the 65 g shafts, or IOW it loses it's bend too early.

I got on a launch monitor and experimented and sure enough, an 86 g X flex shaft gave me 15 more yards of distance, compared to the 65 g R flex shaft I was using, btw, my swing speed is only ~100~ mph. Why do I bend the X flex, heavier shaft more? Do I have a "heavy" impact?

I actually read something by Johnny Miller, that seniors don't lose strength as much as flexibility and most senior tour players use 86+ gram shafts, they have the strengh to bend them, but don't have the flexibility to bend the 65 g shafts, or IOW it loses it's bend too early.

I got on a launch monitor and experimented and sure enough, an 86 g X flex shaft gave me 15 more yards of distance, compared to the 65 g R flex shaft I was using, btw, my swing speed is only ~100~ mph. Why do I bend the X flex, heavier shaft more? Do I have a "heavy" impact?

The issue probably isn't how MUCH you load, but HOW and WHEN you load and unload the shaft. It's possible that the x shaft "times the kick" better with your particular swing than the 65g regular shaft.

Ya I'm not a big shaft guy...

That makes sense tho.

And also you may load it better and store it better too....a later release.

I feel the same thing with heavier clubs. (I really do think there's something in that)

Although....they say you can lose/gain SS by altering shaft weight.

Have u measured your SS with the 2 drivers glcoach??

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim that's a great point that I never thought of but now that you mention it I have been the longest with tip stiff shafts and I've got an evo lite coming as we speak. Did you learn this on your own or is there some actual reason you can explain it with? This could be it's own post and very eye opening. BTW-Even though I build clubs as a hobby and have Loft/Lie machine and freq. analyzer, digital scale.......All that crap but I've never actually been fitted with an launch monitor and I know I need too but it just hasn't happened yet.

Here is some dialog from another website that we went through that i will post below:

Poster:
Ok so if two identical golfers, a Swinger and a Hitter, were expertly fitted to the nth, can you predict, with some accuracy, how the results will vary?

It is common to see the terms Hitter or Swinger when people are talking about shaft fitting, but in this context they seem to be referring only to the look of the golfers transition.

Jim Kobylinski Response:
Yes i can predict to about 90-95% accuracy. HOWEVER we are going to use the same tempo and the same type of relese for each as well as the same swing speed, we'll use 110. Tempo and where you release play a big part in shaft fitting as well. So as i said, we'll keep these the same to give you an idea on how to fit. We'll use a medium tempo and an normal release, no delay stuff.

Swinger

- If using a 400-460cc head around 9.0-10.0* of TRUE MEASURED LOFT
- Shaft flex will be low to mid kick with anywhere from soft tip to medium firm tip. Usually the player will pick which he "feels" more comfortable but both can be fit for proper numbers.
- Shaft weight can be anything, usually swingers can handle any weight shaft. However shaft weight should be figured out in regards to tempo and feel for each player

Hitter

- If using a 400-460cc head around 8.0-9.5* of TRUE MEASURED LOFT
- Shaft flex will be mid to high kick with anywhere from medium firm tip to very stiff tip. A soft "feel" tip will work but it needs to be a low spin shaft like an Accra.
- Usually hitters need an "in between" in regards to flex and would be well suited for Tipped S flexes (in this 110mph case) versus a straight X flex
- Shaft weight needs to be heavier, in my opinion at least 75g...anything less and you'll be inconsistent

----------------------------------------------------------

Here is another dialog i had where questions are inbedded in quotes with my responses after it:

Jim, my guess is that hinging is the reason for the higher lofts and low spin shafts for the Hitter.

Partially, since a swinger tends to horizontal hinge this will produce a lower launch and lower spin thus needing more loft. Also since a hitter tends to angle hinge and add spin through impact due to the layback, you need to counter act that natural high producing launch/spin with lower loft. These aren't constants because a swinger could use angle hinging and a hitter could full roll it through impact. But we aren't fitting "specific" people here. I'm just trying to show you the differences to learn. Also, swingers tend to load the shaft smoother versus a hitter (due to the pulling vs pushing) usually and thus can get away with a higher loft.

Why can't a Hitter use a light shaft?

If you were hammering a nail into the wall would you want a plastic handle? . Because a hitter is trying to "chop down that tree" with his driving and pushing hitters tend to produce better results with heavier shafts. Also, heavier shafts tend to spin less and launch lower. All to help combat the higher ball flight of a hitter who angle hinges. I'm not saying they couldn't get away with a light shaft, they could. It is just my opinion and experience that most hitters tend to hit the ball better/longer/more consistent with a heavier shaft.

In your example, the Hitter would likely be between flexes, what about the Swinger?

LOL...depends. Not all shafts play true to flex. I would say a true swinger could handle a TRUE STIFF @ 110 if they were really smooth. However, you could tip it a 1/2" or play a shaft that plays a little soft to flex and put them in an X. Some shafts that play a little soft are ProLaunch, Aldia NVS, and most "tip soft low kick" shafts. Not all, but most. A hitter @ 110 mph would probably fall into the X flex range in many shafts, but since i believe in a little higher loft on the driver head, I feel it'd be better to tip a S flex. This helps stabilize the tip more and keep the spin under control which is good for the hitter.

Why the difference in tip stiffness?

I think i kinda already answered this, but mainly its because of the way the two different swing types load the shaft. When you have layback through impact you want a pretty "stable" tip. Anything too soft and you'll inconsistant spin issues and not as much consistency from my experience. The only "tip soft" shaft that handles a hitter's stroke well from my experience and my clubmaker's is the Accra series. Excellent shafts.

I’m not sure, maybe before this goes any further we need to be more accurate. Is there any point in working through this with all other things held constant? Is that reality?

I think we're pretty good right now. As these are some generalities to help you realize the difference. However like i said above, tempo and release type/point play a HUGE part in fitting. For instance the swinger i talk about who can get away with soft tip shafts, maybe if they have a very delayed release and a nick price like tempo couldn't. They'd probably need some tipping as well to help stabilize impact. I'd saying fitting from what i've dealt with is more of an art than it is a science. This is why i don't like going to clubmakers/fitters who may have the latest fitting technology but don't really know enough how to utilize it in regards to my swing, ball type, etc. You can't just get a launch monitor and expect to fit people perfect. You need to more about shaft profiling and the swing imo.

---------------------------------------

Please ask any other questions. My knowledge comes from a good friend who has his own shop, clubfitting business and his own line of shafts. This also comes from my knowledge of TGM and how i had to fit myself due to my pattern changes.

Last edited:
Okay I think I'm a hitter:
-i don't get to parralel
-punch elbow
-face stays closed(sorry I meant not as open)
-I push instead of pull
-upright plane
Now the problem, I'm around a 4 index and all my buddies are around the same but they ALL outdrive me. I know, I know it's not about who can drive the furthest but I'm living in the real world and this crap is getting old. I'm sick of hitting first, I guess I'm not man enough to deal with it:)
Now the question, is it hard to switch to swinging? I know Brian did it but I'm sure he has more natural talent than me so it may not be as easy for us "regular" guys. I tried swinging yeaterday with the driver and got some mixed results but I did notice a more solid feel. Also a little fade but I think that might have been from getting quick from the top so anyway anybody else made the switch and what about swinging with the driver and hitting with the irons?

In my mind if you have a punch elbow you are selling yourself short distance wise. pitch is a superior postion when it comes t distance. The secret is to never allow the elbow to get much away from the pitch position in the backswing. If your elbow leaves its postion pointing more or less between your hipbone and navel and is pointing more behind you it is that much harder to gt it back to the pitch postion on the downswing. If your elbow is in the correct postion all you have to do is get it back to your side as you shift your weight left that move will cock your wrist a little more and give you that little bit of float loading that helps to sustain the lag. The pitch postion gives you that effortless power instead of the powerless effort punch postion.

no not powerless just less effecient than pitch for full speed shots. i always compare it to baseball ever see a guy who throws like a girl they throw from the punch position with there hand even with or ahead of there elbow. a person who knows how to throw a ball like a man will have his elbow leading his hand just more effecient way or producing speed.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Ya I'm not a big shaft guy...

That makes sense tho.

And also you may load it better and store it better too....a later release.

I feel the same thing with heavier clubs. (I really do think there's something in that)

Although....they say you can lose/gain SS by altering shaft weight.

Have u measured your SS with the 2 drivers glcoach??

That's the thing there was maybe 2 mph difference between the 2 shafts

Erik_K

New
Hit vs Swing, you should be able to achieve roughly the same distance.

There's some suggestions with equipment, and that could certainly add a few yards to your long game.

However, and this may sound obvious, but if you want to hit the ball farther you need A) solid mechanics with minimal leakage. Since you are a low handicapper, it sounds like you can hit many different kinds of shots and you likely have a decent short game B) some sort of training routine to promote a higher clubhead velocity.

Dropping a few pounds, increasing flexibility and doing specific workouts that encourage you to swing faster (yet still remain balanced) will add extra power.

Golf is sort of funny and in a way it's just various levels of dissatisfaction. Even when you get players to the single digits and have them drive the ball 250+ yards, we all want more. But, hey, that's what it's all about-continuously getting better.

Jim, you're 4 hours from me so I'll be there at 10:00:) Just kidding but thanks a ton for the info. I might have to come up to the windy city and see your fitter. I never knew about how swinging and hitting could affect fitting, great stuff.
Bantanman2- pitch elbow? I'm going to have to work on that
Erik K-of the things you mentioned I know I need to stretch. I work out 4 days a week but it's mostly freeweights and no stretching. I have a friend that took yoga to improve his flexability. As far as my game goes ss is around 105. Ballstriking is around a 10 handi but shortgame is close to scratch.

I can generate as much power from "punch" position as "pitch" position and with much more control. I believe I only lose power typically when in a "push" position.

Punch and Pitch create effortless power...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, you're 4 hours from me so I'll be there at 10:00:) Just kidding but thanks a ton for the info. I might have to come up to the windy city and see your fitter. I never knew about how swinging and hitting could affect fitting, great stuff.
Bantanman2- pitch elbow? I'm going to have to work on that
Erik K-of the things you mentioned I know I need to stretch. I work out 4 days a week but it's mostly freeweights and no stretching. I have a friend that took yoga to improve his flexability. As far as my game goes ss is around 105. Ballstriking is around a 10 handi but shortgame is close to scratch.

Actually my "Fitter" is in North Carolina. Road trip? :D

In all honestly though i do go out there every spring for a charity tournament he does and a full weekend of golf. He sets it up for all us internet yahoos.

Fri - 4 player scrammble charity tournament benefitting the local human society
Sat/Sun - he sets up places for us to play

At night, we usually get good and drunk :D

Status
Not open for further replies.