Central Pattern???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would be a good exemplar for a "central pattern"? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Also, Brian, are you ever planning to do a "central pattern" video of sorts?

lia41985

Would a "Soft Draw" backswing swing paired with a "Never Hook Again" make for a central pattern?

Not saying that he employs this combination but Francesco Molinari seems "centralized" in the sense that he combines his back, down, and through swings to position the club to produce zeroes:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zym5H94lhsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iFtk-c310aI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Edoardo seems "left" of him:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/snfd44iP3J8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

lia41985

Seems to be a pretty good example to me, but I'd like to hear from Brian and the guys as well.
Hope this helps--they were referring to what swings were "orthodox" which I take to be probably somewhat synonymous to "central":
Orthodox, or lacking the need for compensatory moves. Hogan had a few of those, Snead didnt really. Its not that Hogan is unorthodox by any stretch, but its no wonder nobody could replicate his swing or use his equipment.
Brandt Snedeker, John Merrick, Ryo Ishikawa, Gregory Havret (awesome), 2000 Tiger Woods, Ernie Els.... im sure theres a ton more
No one has ever been more orthodox than 1988-1992 Nick Faldo.
Sam Snead (at any point), Jack Nicklaus (pre-'68, post '71), Tiger Woods (2000). Ben Hogan (pre & post wreck), Byron Nelson, Tom Watson (post 1992), Jimmy Demaret, Gene Littler, Henry Picard, Tommy Armour, Johnny Miller (1973-1975), Jim Barnes, Hale Irwin, Davis Love III, Bill Mehlhorn, Greg Norman (pre Butch), Nick Price (1990's), Julius Boros, Jack Burke Jr.,
Tommy Bolt.

There are others...but this is a great Historical start.

Current....

Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy, Hunter Mahan, Alvaro Quiros, Francesco Molinari, Ryo Ishikawa, David Toms ;)

Doesn't Brian refer to the SD as his "middle of the matrix" pattern? At work or else I'd quote directly from the video.

dbl

New
I rather doubt orthodox is equivalent to 'central.' Can't have Toms and Faldo both listed as central.

Also, I thought SD was slight away from the center. Brian's mentioned a baby fade pattern, as well something else which, as I recall, were more central. There are a lot of undocumented swings in that man's brain, and a lot about the matrix not spelled out.

My take on the matrix is moving people from the extreme toward the central and perhaps past. For some players, the technique is fixing the face, for others the path. A central method would have less reliance on moves meant to counter the person's predisposition, imo. Obviously, it's not just a goal of "achieve zeroes" since that can be done in a huge variety of ways.

With Project 1.68 it could be that the two swing types already disclosed might both be in the center of a new matrix, although I'm obviously not sure.

I rather doubt orthodox is equivalent to 'central.' Can't have Toms and Faldo both listed as central.

Also, I thought SD was slight away from the center. Brian's mentioned a baby fade pattern, as well something else which, as I recall, were more central. There are a lot of undocumented swings in that man's brain, and a lot about the matrix not spelled out.

My take on the matrix is moving people from the extreme toward the central and perhaps past. For some players, the technique is fixing the face, for others the path. A central method would have less reliance on moves meant to counter the person's predisposition, imo. Obviously, it's not just a goal of "achieve zeroes" since that can be done in a huge variety of ways.

With Project 1.68 it could be that the two swing types already disclosed might both be in the center of a new matrix, although I'm obviously not sure.

I think this post hits on some of the reasons for my curiosity. Based on Brian's Vimeo vide re: Sergio/Fowler/Hogan Model, I'm starting to get curious as to what type of hand path, etc. a "central" pattern has. Also, I'm curious to see how the two distinct categories he mentioned in that video are similar, and how they are different. Obviously, learning about what the best players in the two categories do could help all of us work toward optimal, or "central", or "orthodox," or whatever we want to call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.