Check out Bubba Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Doesn't look like "pivot center tripod" to me.
bubba.gif

Brian-- you made him a right-hander!
Can you do the same to my two year old?

Those pics should end the debate on whether you get more distance hitting up or down on the ball with a driver. There's no doubt what he does.

quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

Those pics should end the debate on whether you get more distance hitting up or down on the ball with a driver. There's no doubt what he does.

Although his Clubhead travels upwards as it meets the ball, Thrust continues Down Plane (1-L-15).

quote:Originally posted by tongzilla
[br
Although his Clubhead travels upwards as it meets the ball, Thrust continues Down Plane (1-L-15).

Tong,

Are you sure? Please define thrust. Thrust of what?

Thanks

Golfie

How could the lever system (or thrust) move down and the clubhead (end of the lever) moving up unless wrist break down (flip)?????Obvioulsy from the top of backswing, the whole lever system comes down, but the moment before impact, it appears things start going up otherwise Bubba caanot hit up. just IMO.

Not sure the physics behind this thrust discussion, but all I know is this guy is doing something right. Its not just one of those, "Hey, he's a genetic freak, but doesn't know proper mechanic's" things. He is averaging 340 yards and approaching 400 yards on some drives. Yeah, he's a big strong 6'3" dude, but there are alot of those guys out there.

So what is this guy doing?

Ok guys...I'm going to try not take the "quote the book" route in answering these questions (at the price of precisness), and use as little TGM vocab as possible.

I take it you have seen the Flipper video by Brian. I bet you a million dollars he never attempted to "hit up" at any point during the stroke. But it was inevitable that the clubhead went up and in after low point. It just had to. And he did it with a perfectly flat left wrist too (or even slightly arched).

Another example. When you swing a pendulum, try directing thrust only downwards. But after low point is reached, it has to start moving up again, even though all the effort you put in was directed downwards.

Bottom line: never try to hit up. Always hit down. The clubhead WILL come up, trust me! Whether the clubhead is moving down or up as it meets the ball depends whether the ball is placed before or after low point. Now there's debate that the ball will go further if the clubhead is moving upwards as it meets the ball, but accuracy is sacrificed...that's a debate for another day.

Burner

New
Seems to me that in the first picture, immediate post impact, that the primary lever assembly has still NOT quite reached its in line condition.

Considering that this is a little after impact, yet BEFORE low point has been reached, the thrust and direction of the clubhead is still downward (seeking low point) as opposed to up.

quote:Originally posted by Burner

Seems to me that in the first picture, immediate post impact, that the primary lever assembly has still NOT quite reached its in line condition.

Considering that this is a little after impact, yet BEFORE low point has been reached, the thrust and direction of the clubhead is still downward (seeking low point) as opposed to up.

Yes, but even if the clubhead is going up during follow through, thrust continues downwards. Study 1-L-15.

Burner

New

Yes, but even if the clubhead is going up during follow through, thrust continues downwards. Study 1-L-15.
Yup, but only until the lever assembly reaches its in line condition. Beyond that point thrust, and the whole object of it, has been exhausted.

Yup, but only until the lever assembly reaches its in line condition. Beyond that point thrust, and the whole object of it, has been exhausted.

Burner, Bubba definitely picks the ball off the tee and launches it sky high 350+ yards. Given those facts, are you saying he's a flipper?

Burner

New

Burner, Bubba definitely picks the ball off the tee and launches it sky high 350+ yards. Given those facts, are you saying he's a flipper?

No Archie, I certainly don't see any flipping in Bubbas motion; his right hand is flat and his left maintains a healthy bend: where did you get that idea[?]

Flipping only occurs when the left (but that would be right for Bubba) wrist bends back on itself prior to impact. This action would, of course, also be accompanied by the other wrist straightening or arcing forward.

I was just airing the view that the clubhead had not reached the bottom of its downward arc of travel prior to impact.

Shame we can't see a couple more of the frames that immediately preceded this set.

No Archie, I certainly don't see any flipping in Bubbas motion; his right hand is flat and his left maintains a healthy bend: where did you get that idea[?]

Flipping only occurs when the left (but that would be right for Bubba) wrist bends back on itself prior to impact. This action would, of course, also be accompanied by the other wrist straightening or arcing forward.

I was just airing the view that the clubhead had not reached the bottom of its downward arc of travel prior to impact.

Shame we can't see a couple more of the frames that immediately preceded this set.

Just saying that the clubhead is going up at impact-- no way its not. He launches gigantically huge towering drives and he does not accomplish it with a high spin rate I guarantee you. Since you say that the left arm and shaft have not reached their inline condition and have not reached low point, one must conclude, according to your reasoning, that he either flips or is hitting down. Again, no way is he hitting down.

I started a thread about Bubba about two months ago and nobody seemed interested. Kid absolutely mauls the ball. A lot of people thought he'd be better on the PGA tour than the nationwide because he is so long and the PGA courses are sometimes a bit more open. And just think, couldn't make first five at Georgia his Sr. Year.

Archie,

Bubba is hitting up at impact to the naked eye. There is no question. I was watching it yesterday on TV and they showed his hitting driver as wells as some irons.

Burner's argument that Bubba has not reached in-line condition and hnece he must be hitting down is open to question. This whole thing about low point being opposite to left shoulder and in-line condition for the low point is so wrong when the center of rotation is moving. Geometrically, one can have in-line condition before or after the low point based on how the left shoulder moves around the neck. This is the whole argument Mandrin was trying to prove (I beleive).

Bubba is hitting up at the impact. NO question. The ball go so high it is not the back spin.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by nevermind

His angle of attack with the driver has been measured, it is positive. No need to extrapolate from pictures.

You cannot hit up with a flat left wrist, you can't do it...period.

What's traveling "up" at impact is the CLUBHEAD. Oh my god, i said it [:0]

BUT

The shaft has "kicked" foward and it is now traveling "up." However all the force is going "down plane." That's what people don't get. I NEVER have tried to hit "up" on a drive. But yet when i was using a hitting procedure i was launching my 8.25* driver almost 14*. Part of that is the angled hinge action and part of that is the VERTICAL ROLL of the clubface and part of that is axis tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.