club fitting - shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does a club fitter determine the best shaft to match your swing? Besides swing speed what else figures into the selection?

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Best and only real way to do it, which is difficult for the average person. Hit them all. As many different shafts and flexes as you can. Different heads too. There are some people around the country that are set up to do this. I think the best is in Scottsdale. Hot Stix. I think they also have one in Orlando.

A lot of places are now getting the same for irons as they do for woods, click on attachment. Makes it easy to try lots of shafts/flexes.

I got a Callaway FT5 I-Mix and have a good medium flight shaft, but plan as Tom says "trying them all" to get a good low and high ball flight shaft too.

It's getting much easier to try lots of club setups out.

Besides swing speed a club fitter looks at such things as how forceful your downswing transition is, your overall tempo, and what type of release you have.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I personally don't like Hot Stix, but that's just me.

there is so much that goes into a fitting it's too much to explain. It's a combination of science, art, and guesswork (based on previous fitting). Just a simple list:

1) Swing speed
2) Angle of attack
3) where you load the shaft
4) spin you put on the ball
5) what your tendecy is towards clubface orientation through the ball
6) tempo
7) ball that you play
8) How often you go "all out" on the driver versus just a "normal" pass at it
9) What shot shape you play (relates to some above)
10) Swing plane (relates to some above)

there's a simple 10 part list. now a good fitter probably go through all of these with you but they are going to definately be thinking about them.

Here's my opinion on how to find a good fitter:

1) Search the net for reviews in your area, post/search questions in various golf forums around the net. good fitters are like good local diamond sellers, not promoted much and known more by word of mouth.
2) Try to find someone with a trackman, if you can't look towards a Zelocity or a Vector equipped fitter
3) Save up some cash and bring the REAL BALLS THAT YOU PLAY. Now i'll admit this will add to the cost of the fitting but most range balls suck. They are severly limited in ball speed and sometimes spin too little or too much depending on what kind the range uses and/or how worn they are. Your results might be vastly different between a range ball and a real ball. These days you can get Pro V1s and/or callaway "practice balls" or even "x-outs" for much cheaper.
4) If possible try to get someone who has the ability to quick change clubs, there are various companies that produce this.
5) See if they have varied clubheads and face angles you can try
6) See if they have actually MEASURED the loft/face angle of the head you are using so that you can order that EXACT same head (at least for loft) then you can bend the head open/closed if needed.

Sorry for the long response but there is a lot that goes into it, also a really good fitter can even get pretty darn close by just watching your ball flight and swing and possible make setup changes to alter your driver ball flight. sometimes getting "fit" isn't the answer, it's learning how to hit the driver properly BUT on the other hand if you are set in your ways and don't want to change you can always get the equiptment to make up for your flaws.

Hope that helps

I played with a guy last week who's drive "backed up" about 10 yards after landing in the fairway. It was avery high about 250 yards so I guess spin plays a big role.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I played with a guy last week who's drive "backed up" about 10 yards after landing in the fairway. It was avery high about 250 yards so I guess spin plays a big role.

If it was really spinning back 10 yards, get that on video next time haha!

However yes in his case he had a MASSIVE amount of excessive spin and probably a very low launch angle to create that type of landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.