club path vs. horiz. swing plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
How do you define exactly what someone's Swing Direction is if you are swinging on an inclined plane and the actual horizontal direction is constantly changing?

Because the entire second half of the downswing you're tracing a straight baseline that it pointing somewhere. Path may be changing due to where on the plane you would strike the ball but general direction of swing (HSP) is not changing.

Pardon me but what's the point of defining low point for a zero degree angle of attack shot? That's a special case and unusual for 11 out of 14 clubs, right?

To a degree, yes.

I think Moe Norman was probably consistently close to zero with almost all of his irons though. He swung much more 'down the line' and hit it dead straight.

I see a lot of Trackman data of players with 7-irons having -0.5 to -1* AoA's, so I don't think it's out of the question to have a flat (0*) hit.

3JACK

dbl

New
Wow, R, didn't know that. I've seen tour averages, where those 0's are of course averaged in, but a lot must be negative be with irons.

Wow, R, didn't know that. I've seen tour averages, where those 0's are of course averaged in, but a lot must be negative be with irons.

Tour players hit far more down on the ball than the average amateur. There was a YouTube video with former Big Break winner Blair O'Neal using Trackman and she couldn't get her attack angle with a 7-iron steeper than -1*. So the women hit less down than the men do (typically). If you flip, your attack angle isn't going to be very steep.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.