Clubhead Throwaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vieoed my swing this week and was disappointed to see that I was losing the angle of my left arm and shaft really early in the downswing. I have tried to cure this flaw in many ways with no success. When I swing shorter (about shoulder high) I have no trouble sustaining the angle. Is this a thrust problem, an Aiming Point problem or a Pivot problem?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I vieoed my swing this week and was disappointed to see that I was losing the angle of my left arm and shaft really early in the downswing. I have tried to cure this flaw in many ways with no success. When I swing shorter (about shoulder high) I have no trouble sustaining the angle. Is this a thrust problem, an Aiming Point problem or a Pivot problem?

Is the club passing your HANDS BEFORE IMPACT??

John,

As Brian asked, is the clubhead passing your hand before impact - or as importantly, is you left wrist breaking down (cupping) prior to impact?

If so, there could be a million reasons and someone like Brian could identify it immediately via lesson or video.

However, on comment you made - the 'angle' you refer to I assume is wrist cock (delayed release, etc) and this is an entirely different concept then clubhead lag and throwaway. Clubhead lag is merely the clubhead trailing the hands - and usually when people talk about sustaining the angle, they are referring to wristcock angle - accumulator #2 in TGM - and this is a power accumulator - not throwaway.

Just thought I'd note that.

Good luck,
Patrick

Is the club passing your HANDS BEFORE IMPACT??

Almost. I maybe had 2 degrees of shaft lean. Could it be that my right shoulder is not going down plane enough to allow my right arm to get to Pitch Basic? It appeared to me that my right shoulder went up and back on the backswing but did not even go down plane past where it started on the downswing. Just curious.

John,

As Brian asked, is the clubhead passing your hand before impact - or as importantly, is you left wrist breaking down (cupping) prior to impact?

If so, there could be a million reasons and someone like Brian could identify it immediately via lesson or video.

However, on comment you made - the 'angle' you refer to I assume is wrist cock (delayed release, etc) and this is an entirely different concept then clubhead lag and throwaway. Clubhead lag is merely the clubhead trailing the hands - and usually when people talk about sustaining the angle, they are referring to wristcock angle - accumulator #2 in TGM - and this is a power accumulator - not throwaway.

Just thought I'd note that.

Good luck,
Patrick

I would have to say that the left wrist has a tendency to breakdown slightly.

I would have to say that the left wrist has a tendency to breakdown slightly.
Ok,
So...at impact, if you do not have a flat left wrist - you have throwaway. And this anomaly started prior to impact. Any breakdown is throwaway.

Just a guess.

Brian or others can help.

One thing I noticed when playing this weekend was that the faster I swung the more the ball hooked. I tried to have my belt buckle facing left of ball at impact, the hands in front of the ball at impact and a square club face at separation. Does it sound as though I am Flipping? If so I will review Confessions of a Former Flipper. I really don't want to swing slower to straighten out my shots.

Bad "extensor action."

If you are right handed; when taking your backswing, don't let your right elbow bend. It will, but keep it straight-ish. Feel as though your hands are as far away from your right ear/head as possible. Sounds to me like you have too much bend in your elbow because you can compress shorter shots. If you bend your right elbow too much in the backswing, the right arm tries to straighten right from the top and you have instant throwaway (in most cases).

One thing I noticed when playing this weekend was that the faster I swung the more the ball hooked. I tried to have my belt buckle facing left of ball at impact, the hands in front of the ball at impact and a square club face at separation. Does it sound as though I am Flipping? If so I will review Confessions of a Former Flipper. I really don't want to swing slower to straighten out my shots.

Overacceleration (flipping closes face) and perhaps path too far to the right. (glancing blow increases sidespin)

Status
Not open for further replies.