Consequences of square shoulders at impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian and others,

What would be the most typical negatives for having the hips and shoulders square at impact, rather than open?

I must admit that I have trouble with the open at impact concept because I have been working for years on trying to get my right shoulder *down* and *not* open. I have seen all of the swing videos and photos, and clearly pros are all open at impact. I am certainly not disputing that fact.

It's just that anyone who fights an over-the-top downswing finds it very hard to start thinking, "O.K. Now *open* your shoulders."

How can this be reconciled for the hackers among us? How do you better golfers get your right shoulder down and *then* open? How does opening your shoulders and hips *not* throw your club outside-in?

Thank you.

gumper

The two things that stand out to me with square shoulders are that you would either

1. Swing way too far to the right or
2. Have hardly any tilt

Neither sound very good.

Also, I think a very important part of getting the right shoulder down and then open is filling up the left gap with your hips before you really commit your right shoulder (like Brian described in SD).

if the right shoulder goes directly at the ball, down a plane, then it will make the left shoulder go up and in, away from the ball. this will produce the openess you describe.

if your right shoulder goes straight down then you will probably end up too square at impact

Status
Not open for further replies.