Controlling the backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slowly finding that the difficulties I continue to encounter with my swing stem from two things 1) wrong grip size (my left hand is slipping because the grip is too small) and 2) not effectively controlling my backswing, especially at the top. Overall, I seem to make a different backswing every time I swing, resulting in wildly inconsistenly contact and play on course. I think it stems from being somewhat of a feel player and doing far too many out of control back and forth swings.

In that light, I've been thinking of ways to percieve and control the backswing. I need some help on this. My current thoughts stem from the idea of controlling the handle and practicing the position I want the handle to finish in (I'm visualizing Camillo Villegas' backswing). In my mind, I don't want the end of the handle to point above the horizon at the top. So I think of pointing the end of the handle at the top.

Now, obviously I don't want to destroy the athleticism of my swing. I'm still shifting to the right foot and applying a lot of pressure in the backswing and downswing. Ideally, figuring out and practicing a controlled top of swing position would help me leverage the fact that I can hit a baseball pretty good. I just seem to lack that power in my golf swing (except on occassion), and instead my swing speed varies wildly (for example with the driver, 90 one moment, 112 the next). Highly frustrating. Very tired of this "swing of the day" syndrome. :mad:

Any thoughts or suggestions on how else to go about really controlling the backswing and establish consistency?

My backswing used to vary alot as wells so I know your pain. It's a killer to consistency. I'd sit on the range and hyperfocus on my hands and positions making minor tweaks here and there and never finding a change that could stick because it would feel complicated or awkward or just end up getting misaligned somewhere over time.

This changed once I implemented the SD backswing which gave me a simple roadmap to follow along with an easily repeatable motion. My ballstriking has never been this good before. With my backswing finally in a repeatable and sound motion I could finally fine tune the rest of the swing.

If you haven't seen the SD video yet then I highly recommend it.

I too second the SD backswing. I used to lay it off quite a bit, but the SD backswing fixed that and it's really repeatable.

I have the SD video. I suffer from being across the line, too long, and hooking the heck out of the ball from getting underplane. I have NHA, but the problem still exists of being too loose at the top, leading to total inconsistency no matter what pattern I attempt.

I have the SD video. I suffer from being across the line, too long, and hooking the heck out of the ball from getting underplane. I have NHA, but the problem still exists of being too loose at the top, leading to total inconsistency no matter what pattern I attempt.

I also end up across the line and get underplane. I don't go much past parallel, but I do swing every club right to parallel. I've found that my issue comes from my right hand slipping on the grip. Somehow, my right hand heel pad rides up my left thumb. At address, the thmub is nestled in the lifeline of the right hand but during the backswing, it slides and my grip at the top has the heel pad over the left thumb. Impact is a guessing game at best.

I share your pain.

My top of the backswing has never too "solid" looking. Until I began working on club face control, lengthening my left thumb on the grip, and not having a top of the backswing "position".

I have really focused on having a dynamic transition that is controlled by the lower body starting the downswing--which by default becomes the end of the backswing. I have also been trying to add some slack between the hips and shoulders before starting the downswing initiation which means my downswing starts sooner than it used to and the hips turn sooner and farther to start the backswing. Interestingly, the club still goes back as far as it does with my older "max x-factor", no dynamic transition swing. It just doesn't stay there very long. Hope this makes sense, and I'm waiting to see Brian to see how he likes it to make sure it is a good thing.

Some more extensor pressure might tighten that up?

I have played some good golf with that swing thought, but never for any sustained period of time. I still get way to much pressure from my right forefinger and right thumb pulling the club across the line at the top. My entire right shoulder, arm and hand all feel very tight at the top and it can be very difficult to get the clubface rotating back to square on the downswing.

Hogan thought that the right hand "pinchers" often became to active. This is exactly what seems to happen in my backswing. I'll be trying his idea of swinging (practice swings, waggles, and whatnot) without any pressure on the shaft from the thumb and forefinger. I have a feeling it may unlock a whole new level of ballstriking for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.