coupling point rotation -- grip questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found golf and internet golf forums in 2008. The forums happened to be TGM-centric. I also read Hogan's 5 Fundamentals very early on. My grip is based on 5 Fundamentals plus a heavy degree of trying to "feel" TGM pressure point #3. Specifically, my grip is pretty loosey goosey in regards to my right index finger and thumb as Hogan called them the swing-wreckers. I wanted to use my index finger to feel, not to push.

Soo.. all that said, is there a better way of gripping that is more "coupling point rotation" friendly? I've recently read Faldo's "The Winning Formua" and his description of the grip was eye opening. He wants a spread right hand to promote right hand participation.

My last question: What specifically are you all doing w/ the right thumb? It is just riding on top (just laying there), or does it actively participate in the stabilization of the club through applied pressure?

granted, it's not traditional, but i put my thumb on top of the shaft like a fly-fisherman. this makes me feel much more secure at the top, although it may limit the angle you can make between the right forearm and the clubshaft. i switched to this because it helped me feel and execute the "out-toss" a bit more easily. i feel like i can use the thumb to start accelerating the shaft from the top.

FlyRodGrip.jpg

Grip

For me - I've worked on a stable secure grip. Therefore I grip equally with everything. Grab a baseball bat - are you going to grip with these two fingers and soft in one area and firmer in another - I don't think so. Regardless what Hogan said I would imagine I try to grip like his grip "looks" in some photos or drawings that I've seen. That is the left hand is a little on the strong side with the PAD of the left thumb half way between the top and the aft of the shaft. As I grip if I were to focus on the sensation of the thumb pressure I would sense the thumbpad and index finger gripping the grip and that line of pressure at a 45 degree angle - that is the line between the pressure of the thumb and the index finger gripping isn't "aimed" at the target nor is it vertical as if the thumb was on top of the shaft - it's in the middle of those two extremes - at a 45 degree angle. Now for the right hand grip I do the same thing - except the right thumb is on the forward part of the shaft- not on top, not all the way on the frontside but 1/2 way in between those two extremes, and the gripping line of pressure between the right thumbpad and the index finger is also "45 degrees" to the ground, just opposite or 90 degrees to the left hand thumbpad/index finger pressure direction.

The common historic advice in golf - keep your right hand out of the shot - don't grip tightly with the right hand - is just hack advice if you ask me. Also in that regard if you asked me one of the biggest differences between a professional golfer's grip and a handicap golfer, it would be that the pro's have a unified and "one piece grip" and the higher the handicap the more the hands are not unified and the more movement you would see in the grip from beginning to end of the swing.

That's just one of my keys in regards to the grip and specifically in regards to your question about the right thumb. I'm sure you'll get a lot of different ideas and opinions from others on what works for them.

P.S. I'm certainly not a Hogan fan -atic, so please don't jump on my description of his grip - I may have completely mis-categorized his grip and I have no problem with that - just focus on what I was describing and ignore my Hogan Grip comment if that's the case. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.