Crossing the line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with club crossing the line at top of backswing with my weight moving towards the toes. This of course never happens my practice swings which are much shorter. Left wrist is slightly cupped at the top contributing to the problem, but my right wrist physically can't bend back more than 10-20 degrees. Any suggestions?

I'm not an expert on the golf swing but I also have limited wrist extension approx 30 degrees, but I'm still able to manage the right arm backswing with a flat left wrist, I just have shorted my backswing. Did you have any injury to your wrist to give you such a limited range of motion?

Certainly worth a try, but I always thought that crossing the line was a result of too much forearm rotation. Thanks

quote:Originally posted by BENTONB

I'm not an expert on the golf swing but I also have limited wrist extension approx 30 degrees, but I'm still able to manage the right arm backswing with a flat left wrist, I just have shorted my backswing. Did you have any injury to your wrist to give you such a limited range of motion?
Too much tennis, not enough golf!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ripper...

At the top of 'normal' backswing the left arm has rotated 90 degrees to the plane.

If the golfer rotates more than that the club shaft 'lays off.'

Try it ;)

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Ripper...

At the top of 'normal' backswing the left arm has rotated 90 degrees to the plane.

Try it ;)

Thanks Brian. Whenever I've worked on forearm rotation I've taken club inside too early. Hard to make these changes on your own. Maybe someday I can try it in Kentucky!

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Ripper...

Try it ;)

Maybe I rotate too early cause when I try this club gets inside too quickly and I've been working on getting the club more up rather than around in the backstroke. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posting again looking for more advice please. Problem does not seem to be left arm rotation. Club gets a little inside after hip high then weight gets too much towards toes at top, causing club to cross the line. Practice swings of course are perfect and wihtout a ball I physically can't even reproduce my usual backswing! I think right elbow doesn't fold early enough no matter what I try. Desperately seeking magic answer. Thanks.

Taking the club back under the plane, or too inside, can cause the club to cross the line at the top. A flying right elbow can also produce a cross line position (Fred Couples).

The proper back, up, and in... on plane backswing should help.

Thanks lagster, I'm aware of that. I get best results when my backswing thought is swinging right arm back while focusing on moving right shoulder back. Club still gets just a little across at the top but at least I can then swing on inside path with a reliable draw. Not sure if this is in accordance with TGM principles but at least it's working for now. Hope this isn't a WOOD swing - Works Only One Day.

rundmc

Banned
Hey man. I have the same problem. Took a lesson from a local AI. He told me that my wrist was double cocked. Check the chapter in the book about wrists positions. You MUST have a flat left wrist and a LEVEL BENT right wrist. No cocking of the right wrist. Drills in the chapter with the hands open, then with fingers closed, and then with the club horizontal. After that move to the inclined plane. You'll get it.

It was amazing to me how "quiet" my hand action felt going through the process. It will feel like you aren't using your hands/wrists at all and your swing will be shorter. but you will really compress the ball once you get the flat left and bent level right. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR RIGHT WRIST IS LEVEL. I was told that when your wrists are level and arms out in front of you, the fingers will be angled some what towards the ground. Be sure that you don't cock the right wrist. This will get you across the line.

Make sure that your club is on plane half way back. the club should either point to the plane line or be parallel to it. You are either on plane or off plane. period.

This is what I was told. Worked for me. You just have to work at it until you can trust it. I'm not there yet, but with the correct concept you can get there.

Please note this not original thought here. Just what I was told at my lesson.
Good luck dude.

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by rundmc

Hey man. I have the same problem. Took a lesson from a local AI. He told me that my wrist was double cocked. Check the chapter in the book about wrists positions. You MUST have a flat left wrist and a LEVEL BENT right wrist. No cocking of the right wrist. Drills in the chapter with the hands open, then with fingers closed, and then with the club horizontal. After that move to the inclined plane. You'll get it.

It was amazing to me how "quiet" my hand action felt going through the process. It will feel like you aren't using your hands/wrists at all and your swing will be shorter. but you will really compress the ball once you get the flat left and bent level right. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR RIGHT WRIST IS LEVEL. I was told that when your wrists are level and arms out in front of you, the fingers will be angled some what towards the ground. Be sure that you don't cock the right wrist. This will get you across the line.

Make sure that your club is on plane half way back. the club should either point to the plane line or be parallel to it. You are either on plane or off plane. period.

This is what I was told. Worked for me. You just have to work at it until you can trust it. I'm not there yet, but with the correct concept you can get there.

Good luck dude.

You can rely on this information. It is pure TGM and came from one of the best.

quote:Originally posted by rundmc

Good luck dude.
Thanks for the help. I'm aware of need for lwf/rwb but when I try and work on it during the swing my hands become too active and/or twistaway occurs too early, pulling club inside. Focusing on right forearm and moving right shoulder back seems to be working at least for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.