Cupped Left Wrist at Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow Golfers,

So for years I setup with very little forward press with my hands and a pretty strong grip (2-3 knuckles, nothing crazy). I always had a kinda cupped look between my left arm, wrist and hand. I think I was also cupped at the top of the swing and I hit a small fade. Someone convinced me to add a little forward press at address which seemed to close the face a bit and I started hitting the most amazing draw. Strong, long and worked off every lie. My wrist at the top seemed to me to be flatter than before. Fast forward and my grip got a little weaker with the forward press and my swing went in the toilet.

My question here is... What does all this mean? Is it fundamentally sound to start with a cupped left wrist at setup and have a slight cup at the top? What did the forward press do to my swing ad why did it fail as my grip weakened?

Appreciate all the help guys. Been struggling bad.

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. Do I simply need to get back to a strong grip before I move into the forward press to get back to this position?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
This position would mean a complete neutral grip, how closed is the club when you put your right flat and check it as shown:

neutralGRIP.jpg

Toe is up maybe 15-20 degrees. That is now that I have tried to get back to a stronger grip. Previously, my grip was a hair weak and I was setting up with the forward press. Now I'm setting up strong and cupped before I go into my forward press.

Status
Not open for further replies.