Danny Lee Article on Golf.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wie also had a mindset like a (young) teenager and trying to play in mens tournaments. What happened, men complained shes taking a spot in the field, women complain she a quiter....remember when she WD from a tourney because she wasnt going to break 90 or something like that. Shes finally acting her age......
JeffS

would tiger's swing be better today if he had never gone to any swing instructor period?

it's always good to seek what your options are out there.

But deep inside of you, you know what is good for you and what is not.

over the years of different instructors, they gave me bs lessons, but also stuff that i keep with me. Keep what you think it's important to you, and the rest to the junk yard.

let me..make that clear..keep what's working for you.

would tiger's swing be better today if he had never gone to any swing instructor period?

Hmmm, some stats for you, In the 1996 masters Tiger Woods driving average was 344 yards with 70% accuracy with a cobra driver and balata ball, in 1997 it was 322 yards with slightly more accuracy, nowadays it is about 305 yards with 60% accuracy at best.

Tiger made the first set of changes in 1997, when he complained about distance control with his irons, but if you ever saw him back then he hit every iron shot flat out, now if he used the same swing and swung at 70% his accuracy and distance control would surely improve.

I wont disagree Tiger's swing looks better now, but does it really function much better?

Im not sure..Im just asking..Did Trevino/Hogan have "golf" instruction???

I believe that Hogan had a few pointers off various people during his career, but not formal instruction as we would know it today, I think it would have been rare in those days for a tour pro to get formal instruction.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Hmmm, some stats for you, In the 1996 masters Tiger Woods driving average was 344 yards with 70% accuracy with a cobra driver and balata ball, in 1997 it was 322 yards with slightly more accuracy, nowadays it is about 305 yards with 60% accuracy at best.

Tiger made the first set of changes in 1997, when he complained about distance control with his irons, but if you ever saw him back then he hit every iron shot flat out, now if he used the same swing and swung at 70% his accuracy and distance control would surely improve.

I wont disagree Tiger's swing looks better now, but does it really function much better?

Agreed

are those driving numbers adjusted for the fact that augusta national plays nothing like it did in 96? i dont think so. regardless, making that judgement based on the driving accuracy/distance numbers from one tournament over 3 years(you know driving accuracy and distance are only measured on 2 holes per round right) is ridiculous.

"It was a conversation with Butch Harmon-trained Won Joon Lee during the Johnnie Walker that encouraged Lee to alter his swing."

and.... that says it all....

nwb

New
it was a couple of tips - hardly a swing change! (talking about Danny Lee)

Last edited:
it was a couple of tips - hardly a swing change! (talking about Danny Lee)

Hogan made a gigantic swing change during his career. I dont think any "instructrors" or tips were the impetus for it either. Tiger wouldnt be as good as he is now if he wasnt constantly looking for ways to improve, and that includes swing changes.

are those driving numbers adjusted for the fact that augusta national plays nothing like it did in 96? i dont think so. regardless, making that judgement based on the driving accuracy/distance numbers from one tournament over 3 years(you know driving accuracy and distance are only measured on 2 holes per round right) is ridiculous.

Accuracy is measured on all par fours and fives, also bear in mind his seasonal averages for 1996 and 1997 iirc were around 70% and the driving distance was above 320 in 1996 296 in 1997. He was undoubtably a better driver and as long if not longer without taking into account the much inferior equipment he played with back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.