DG S300 vs... ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone give an update on iron shafts? I still find I can hit the TT DG S300 well, without much ballooning, but what am I missing in terms of other shafts out on the market? Is it all hype? What's real and what's not?

I do have a set of Wilson Ci6's with TT Taper Tech shafts... can't stand them. Long irons are way too flexy and short irons have zero feel (to me). Supposed to be one of those "progressive" flex shafts (sorta like Apex - a shaft which, oddly enough, I usually liked in my older BH irons).

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Iron shafts tend to fall into 2 buckets:

stiff tip and butt soft = dynamic gold
soft tip and butt stiff = rilfe

Most people tend to fall into 1 of the above categories and generally don't like the other as much even if they can play with them. Try out the KB Tours; they are like a Project X "light" and you might like them.

Stiff tip and stiff butt = Project X (boardy/telephone pole feel).

I struggle with this question and am always looking for something better. DGs are great shafts. I've learned to (somewhat) like the Project X shaft (different from the normal Rifle), but the DG just feels better to me.

I've compared DGs vs. PX on a launch monitor and actually had lower spin with the DGs and hit the ball further. The PX is generally thought to launch higher but with less spin (don't know if that actually happened for me). The DGs can ballon on me every now and again.

The majority of tour players play the PX or DG and I believe more play the DG than the PX.

Just my two cents.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The KBS shafts sort of combine the best of both. I like them.

KB Tours were designed by the same guy who designed the original Project X and also Accra iron shafts, Kim Braley (hence the KB moniker). The KB Tours are like a "project x lite."

@ Curtis, Project X flighted kind of demean the point of having project x. If you want to go x flighted, i'd seriously give the KB Tours a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.