Distance From The Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I touched off a firestorm today (and possibly and international incident) when I posed the innocent question of whether or not golf club design would be affected as a result of Trackman data, I have another...

Does a players distance from the ball have an affect on their accuracy? Does the old adage, "You can't stand too close to the ball" hold water? I give as an extreme example, Jim Furyk, whose club is nearly impaling him. My guess is that Jim's accuracy could be tied to his vertical swing plane and the fact that he turns through the ball as well as anyone in history.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/81...458F781DBD1C1874F8B516FE6624A639BD5241934&p=1

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The closer to the ball, the more vertical the left arm can work. The more vertical the left arm works, the more tumble or #3 accumulator retention. When that happens, the less twisting about the shaft for face squaring.
When that happens, well, you get the picture.......

Once again, Kevin Shields is "the most interesting man in the world."

Thanks brother. Goal for 2011...beat Kevin Shields.

Once.

I fight underplane syndrome, and looking back I played my best tournament with the sole thought of standing ridiculously close to the ball. Makes sense.

The closer to the ball, the more vertical the left arm can work. The more vertical the left arm works, the more tumble or #3 accumulator retention. When that happens, the less twisting about the shaft for face squaring.
When that happens, well, you get the picture.......

Kevin, how would you differentiate betweed LH wedge rotation, tumble, and #3 accumulator?

This has peaked my interest! Due to the effect that the VSP has on the outward component of the 3-D impact, is encouraging a more upright plane suggested in order to zero out? I have found it very difficult to get a great deal under plane with a more upright swing. At the same time when you have a flattish swing you know you have to "go left" in order to match the face/path/Aoa ala Hogan. It is weird to me that Nicklaus was considered a sub par wedge player by tour standards with a decidedly upright VSP i.e. less hula hoop shifting going on...and then a legendary driver of the ball. Doesn't flatter lend to itself to more OUT?I guess it is up in the air as to whether JWN hit it on the up, or level? I am a little confused:confused:

Complete off the subject inquiry:

Is the "Game Changer" monitor any good?

Watched a TV segment where David Toms was demonstrating how he hits the hybrid.

When he wanted to hit it very straight, he said he just moved a little closer to the ball. The
ProTracer clearly showed the differing flight pattern as he moved closer.

Watched a TV segment where David Toms was demonstrating how he hits the hybrid.

When he wanted to hit it very straight, he said he just moved a little closer to the ball. The
ProTracer clearly showed the differing flight pattern as he moved closer.

Saw that too. He moved closer to hit it lower too. Moved away to hit it higher.

Huh?

Closer = steeper...encourages out to in...closed face to target line works ok?
Further = shallower, more in to out...open face works ok?

Want a more inside approach to the ball, stand further away. Want steeper and straighter approach to the ball, stand closer.

You can pretty much hit a draw or fade just by how far you stand from the ball and where you line the face.

I do not want to codify anything but it appears (to me) that a more upright VSP requires less adjustment and therefore may be touted as more desirable?

Lindsey,

Did the higher VSP have an impact on your accuracy, distance, ball flight, trajectory..etc.

The consensus is that the flight would come down, probably more left to right and fairly accurate. How was your experience? Was there a point where you were too close?

Lindsey,

Did the higher VSP have an impact on your accuracy, distance, ball flight, trajectory..etc.

The consensus is that the flight would come down, probably more left to right and fairly accurate. How was your experience? Was there a point where you were too close?

I find it to be straighter ball flight with trajectory very similar to my norm, but for me, I don't think it would force me to fade the shot. Distance was very similar and what many would find surprising, my divots were not as deep. I would think it would be a matter of build and comfort as to how close you can go.

It's something I work on every time I practice. It really keeps you from making a bad transition because you know darn well if you drag that handle out in transition you're headed to skank city or even shank town.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I find it to be straighter ball flight with trajectory very similar to my norm, but for me, I don't think it would force me to fade the shot. Distance was very similar and what many would find surprising, my divots were not as deep. I would think it would be a matter of build and comfort as to how close you can go.

It's something I work on every time I practice. It really keeps you from making a bad transition because you know darn well if you drag that handle out in transition you're headed to skank city or even shank town.

How are the chicks in skank city? Do they have Diet Dew there?

Status
Not open for further replies.