Do You Play on “Automatic”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demythologizing Automatic

Talk about words that are misused! Try this one - “Automatic.” We hear it used in golf like potato chips. (You can't “eat” just one). It is so overworked and misunderstood that it is one of several entrances to the game's several “garden paths.”

Those who have to think about what they are doing while they do it cannot possibly be “on automatic.” That's like trying to swim in a pool with no water. Can't be done. Automatic is marked by NOT thinking about what is being done while doing it. (Not my idle opinion – but a principle as strong as Newton's law of gravity).

Don't go away, because there is another vital issue here. The mind is never still – fact. When you consciously think you are not thinking, you have overlooked 97% (estimated) of the total, comprehensive thinking process which is non conscious, or unconscious or subconscious (take your choice of the descriptors).

It is with some “sorrow” that I report there is nothing any of us can do about that configuration other than make a conscious choice to accept it and learn to manage it.

If you want to be on automatic, better learn the rules and how to follow them to success. Cognitive guesswork or will power won't cut it.

Be assured your mind is always working, and it you don't make a choice, the unconscious will do it for you and default to whatever IT chooses, on its own terms. Your ONLY alternative is to cut into that default. That is done by pre-determination of what you wish to do, followed by “blocking” the default thinking using your own conscious thought process. We think we do that by using “swing keys.” However, the problem there is that the mind and the body are on two entirely different time schedules. The mind works much faster than the body. That forces another human “fact” into play. When the body is asked to go with the speed of the mind, it will do one of two things. It will try to speed up, (catch up), or it will balk in resistance. Either of those has much more chance of producing an errant action than anything that is workable.

Those are the realities that brought “clear keys” into being. The tools are available. It is not necessary to be at the mercy of this game. BTW, being on “automatic” and being “in the zone” are essentially the same. You cannot be in the zone without automatic and if you are in the zone you have reached automatic. Either way you speak of it, it is essential to learning and playing this game.

So the myth of “automatic” is all wrapped up in the pretext.

redan

New
In his book about golf gambling, Sam Snead said he never played against someone who was really sick, (bad cold, flu, etc.) because they could only think about being sick and often played better than they normally might be expected to!

I have performed a lot professionally in stage plays, and being in a zone or automatic is as much an issue in theatrical context as sports. Each performance of a play varies as much and feels as different as rounds of golf do.

quote:Originally posted by redan

In his book about golf gambling, Sam Snead said he never played against someone who was really sick, (bad cold, flu, etc.) because they could only think about being sick and often played better than they normally might be expected to!

I have performed a lot professionally in stage plays, and being in a zone or automatic is as much an issue in theatrical context as sports. Each performance of a play varies as much and feels as different as rounds of golf do.
That is the essence. It's what Earl Scruggs talked about with playing the banjo, what happened with Ben Crenshaw when he won his last Masters, what happened with Orel Hershizer in the World Series, what Bill murray was doing in Caddy Shack, what the "kid" was doing in Iron Eagle when flying his best, same for Star Wars, even what Bart Simpson was doing in his golf match. We all really know it's there. It just needs comprehension and application. Thanks for you experienced illustration.

hue

New
Carey: Would you say gamesmanship and putting off an opponent is just really interfering with the count down to to the automatic process so that the player is on manual mode when playing the shot? The Davis Love/ Tiger Woods incident comes to mind. Other than your clearkeys what do you see as the defence against this kind of thing when you encounter it?

quote:Originally posted by hue

Carey: Would you say gamesmanship and putting off an opponent is just really interfering with the count down to to the automatic process so that the player is on manual mode when playing the shot? The Davis Love/ Tiger Woods incident comes to mind. Other than your clearkeys what do you see as the defence against this kind of thing when you encounter it?
Gamesmanship is ordinarily a sign of a lack of confidence in the gamesman, who resorts to trickery, distraction and any other means of undercutting an opponent to cover his own inadequacies (or perception thereof).

I'm not quite sure I understand the metaphor of "countdown" you are using (at least where you see it fitting, unless you are just referring to what goes on after a player "declares" to himself that he's going on automatic). If that's what you mean, I have no knowledge that either Tiger or Davis uses any means of establishing automatic. I simply do not know of any way that can be accomplished without following the natural "laws" that affect doing things on automatic and I don't see either of them fitting what they do into the necessary time frames to accomplish that. Beyond that, I'd have to have a conversation with them to find out what they are, in fact, doing.

Having said that, there is no way to guard against the kind of thing that happened to Davis, unless the officials take steps for early relief. Of course, I don't know, either, what exactly was going on prior to that moment and apparently there are mixed messages about that (most of which could be laid to perception - what bothers one may not affect another). The only thing a player can do is come to a point where his ability and habit level merge, so that confidnce is at its peak. Then, it won't make any difference what happens, since the player will know that he is in full management command of what he does and such things will, therefore, not matter to him. He'll smile to himself and continue - though he may beat the h%$# out of the person off the grounds afterward.
[:p]

I did work with a player once who reported that he was bothered by too much "talking" during play. He solved that by turning on his clear key whenever he felt "bothered" and that shut out the noise.

Let me know if I'm missing your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.