Downswing Slide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a tendency to slide targetward on the downswing instead of rotating the hips around a firm left leg. Does anyone have a suggestion? When I set up with more weight on the left it is easier to straighten the left leg and rotate around it on the downswing. Would Stack and Tilt be a recommended procedure for someone with this tendency? Or do I need to do TPI hip excersizes and hope it works?

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

Well, I have one - let your hips slide a bit earlier, say, before you start moving your club down. It would be queer if you have no lateral shift at all - the problem is to put it in the right time.

Cheers

Do you think it is a physical thing or an aberrant habit? Can most students perform this without having to do months of TPI workouts?

I've fought the same problem, couple things I focused on, flaring the front foot more (mine had become too closed making it harder to rotate the hips on the downswing) my stance had become too wide, often leading to a slide going back and thus requiring a slide to come forward, and ball position (ball too far forward often leads to a slide). One simple drill that helps with all of this is hitting a ball with your feet very close together or even touching.

Very good advice.
Regarding TPI, these type of so called training schools etc. are a ripoff. While stretching and doing exercises to loosen up are good, there is very little evidence that they even help. Let alone, paying what TPI and Body Balance shams charge for teaching you out of a book that you can buy for 19.99 on golf specific exercises and balance.
A little sliding is not all bad, it relieves the S.I. joint of the sudden stress put on it at impact and gets the hip in motion. A static lead hip causes meniscus to wear out over time and its very painful.
Having played for 45 years and many of those years in competition, I can tell you its no fun to get cortisone shots. Years ago, no one knew the dangers of a static lead hip at impact. So called posting around the lead hip is not necessary for a great swing and awesome shot making.

I've fought the same problem, couple things I focused on, flaring the front foot more (mine had become too closed making it harder to rotate the hips on the downswing) my stance had become too wide, often leading to a slide going back and thus requiring a slide to come forward, and ball position (ball too far forward often leads to a slide). One simple drill that helps with all of this is hitting a ball with your feet very close together or even touching.

Very good advice.
Regarding TPI, these type of so called training schools etc. are a ripoff. While stretching and doing exercises to loosen up are good, there is very little evidence that they even help. Let alone, paying what TPI and Body Balance shams charge for teaching you out of a book that you can buy for 19.99 on golf specific exercises and balance.
A little sliding is not all bad, it relieves the S.I. joint of the sudden stress put on it at impact and gets the hip in motion. A static lead hip causes meniscus to wear out over time and its very painful.
Having played for 45 years and many of those years in competition, I can tell you its no fun to get cortisone shots. Years ago, no one knew the dangers of a static lead hip at impact. So called posting around the lead hip is not necessary for a great swing and awesome shot making.

That's encouraging! Can you think of someone on the tour that is more of a slider than a poster around the left leg? Maybe Tom Lehman?

Snead, Jones, Hogan etc.
Today, Calc, and most one planers.
Posting is more of a two plane move.
QUOTE=johngolf33;115909]That's encouraging! Can you think of someone on the tour that is more of a slider than a poster around the left leg? Maybe Tom Lehman?[/QUOTE]

Snead, Jones, Hogan etc.
Today, Calc, and most one planers.
Posting is more of a two plane move.
QUOTE=johngolf33;115909]That's encouraging! Can you think of someone on the tour that is more of a slider than a poster around the left leg? Maybe Tom Lehman?
[/QUOTE]

Don't go bringing that hardy trash in here.

I checked out Ben Crane's swing and he definitely is a slider but still gets his hands well ahead of the ball at impact for good lag. Thanks!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I've had a tendency to slide targetward on the downswing instead of rotating the hips around a firm left leg. Does anyone have a suggestion? When I set up with more weight on the left it is easier to straighten the left leg and rotate around it on the downswing. Would Stack and Tilt be a recommended procedure for someone with this tendency? Or do I need to do TPI hip excersizes and hope it works?

This quote would up on "another forum" and I did a search and found it.

Here is my 2013 answer (I didn't answer in 2008).....

I have no problem with anyone setting up with slightly more "weight" on the left side at address—not with a driver, though (unless that worked for them and nothing else did).

Now, the real question is why would someone SLIDE forward with a "unrestricted weight shift" and they can rotate and NOT slide too much with more "weight" (really pressure) on the left side early?

Here is the answer:

There is basically three parts to every golf swing when it comes to movement downstairs:

1. The pressure shift to the right of where it started (yes, even Stack & Tilters do this).

2. The pressure shift over to (practically) as far left as it is going to go.

3. The push UP and toward the left ear from that leftward pressure "spot" (cop).

The golfer SHOULD get #2 done—The pressure shift over to (practically) as far left as it is going to go—by the time their left arm is parallel to the ground in the downswing.

From there, that push up toward the left ear keeps the golfer from sliding anymore to the left.

So, the moral of the story is:

You have to get LEFT ENOUGH, early enough, or you will slide over late and awkwardly and often too far trying to get the club in position for impact.

And no, you can not just start left and stay there. There is ALWAYS A PRESSURE SHIFT TO THE RIGHT on the backswing.

Without it, you can not use the ground to rotate YOUR MASS about the Center of your Mass.

Patterns like S&T, just shift rightward early—less.

I was always of the opinion that you want to eliminate any lateral slide altogether. If you bring the club behind you and not out to the right side during your backswing you should have no problem eliminating the lateral slide forward through impact. I've studied the pros swing on TV when watching a golf tournament and have noticed that they never slide laterally into a shot. They just bring the club around and behind them during the backswing and rotate around their hips during the downswing.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Tour player averages for the CENTER of the PELVIS:

1" back with a driver — 5" forward on the downswing (4" forward of address)

no movement back or forward with a 6 iron — 4" forward on the downswing (4" forward of address)

1" forward with a 9-iron — 3" forward (4" forward of address)

Don't EVER EVER EVER make assumptions with video.

You hair might fall out!

Status
Not open for further replies.