Drag Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a swinger I have always had trouble letting the hands "hold on" and allowing the Pivot to supply the Throw. I know Homer said with Drag Loading it should feel as though you are pulling a wet mop which is constant dead weight inertia. I have Brian's Flipper Video and it is great, but I still have a tendency to add a little with the hands. Does anyone have a suggestion to quiet the hands and thrust with the pivot?

Last edited:
As a swinger I have always had trouble letting the hands "hold on" and allowing the Pivot to supply the Throw. I know Homer said with Drag Loading it should feel as though you are pulling a wet mop which is constant dead weight inertia. I have Brian's Flipper Video and it is great, but I still have a tendency to add a little with the hands. Does anyone have a suggestion quiet the hands and thrust with the pivot?

Yes - and don't take this the wrong way - go get a mop wet and sweep it around a floor using just your hips - this is **exactly** the feel it should be. Perhaps only improved if you did the same on the floor of a swimming pool, waist high in water.

I stand to be corrected, but that's how it feels to me.

As a swinger I have always had trouble letting the hands "hold on" and allowing the Pivot to supply the Throw. I know Homer said with Drag Loading it should feel as though you are pulling a wet mop which is constant dead weight inertia. I have Brian's Flipper Video and it is great, but I still have a tendency to add a little with the hands. Does anyone have a suggestion quiet the hands and thrust with the pivot?

I'll give you the first part of a series of drills that my teacher gave me. It is called "Penguins have no arms" Address a golf ball. Now pull your arms as close to you as possible. The only thing that move independently is your wrists. Now just turn back and turn through concentrating on keeping your arms connected. Your wrists should set properly and you should have what tgm calls drag loading. Another good drill similar to this is teh pitch/chip that Ben Doyle/Brian teaches.

I know that Ben sometimes uses an old golf cart tire on the ground and has the student take the club back about waist high and try to stick the clubhead onto the tire on the downswing without it recoiling back. I just haven't done that in awhile.

Tire drill

The club shouldn't bounce, or you're ADDING. Club should just STOP. No need to stop at waist high. Go back, full swing, and hit it. Repeat until it doesn't bounce.

Yes - and don't take this the wrong way - go get a mop wet and sweep it around a floor using just your hips - this is **exactly** the feel it should be. Perhaps only improved if you did the same on the floor of a swimming pool, waist high in water.

I stand to be corrected, but that's how it feels to me.

If I feel as though I am dragging a wet mop that is a very slow "heavy" feeling. How do you make the club move fast feeling that slow "heavy" feeling?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If I feel as though I am dragging a wet mop that is a very slow "heavy" feeling. How do you make the club move fast feeling that slow "heavy" feeling?

By moving your arms/hands/club with YOUR PIVOT!

I will try and do a little video on this, this weekend. I am giving some lessons and will try and have them video me doing an explanation.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I know that Ben sometimes uses an old golf cart tire on the ground and has the student take the club back about waist high and try to stick the clubhead onto the tire on the downswing without it recoiling back. I just haven't done that in awhile.

My favorite practice drill, I do it every day.

Why should the club not bounce back with the tire, confused by that one.

Something that may help is at transition feel like you 'leave the club there', turn the body and leave the hands and club behind, should help get the sequencing in order at the top which for me is where my flip starts some times.

By moving your arms/hands/club with YOUR PIVOT!

I will try and do a little video on this, this weekend. I am giving some lessons and will try and have them video me doing an explanation.

Jim,

Just wondering if you had a chance to do a little video clip this weekend demonstrating how to move the Power Package quickly with the Pivot.

Brilliant video... again!!

Seriously good stuff!!

Worth putting the video on its own thread with sticky marked "the secret of golf"!!

Imperatives dictating the components.... so simple that everybody else confuses it!!:) Simple ( 3 imperatives) is really smart!!!;)

Thanks Brian.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Great video, i wasn't able to do my video on ACCUMULATOR LAG...maybe i can this weekend because i only have 1 lesson scheduled with an out of towner.

1 of the many reasons I love this site. Someone posts a question and we get full visual proof. Not some mumbo jumbo but something that everyone can see with their own eyes and not left to interpretation. Thanks Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.