Elbows at setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRJ

New
Can someone please tell me WHY elbows out at setup is not recommended. I've read Brian's setup article but it doesn't go into details as to why having the elbows pointing down is preferred. I have a tendency to let them flare out a bit. Thanks. JRJ

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The arms need to rotate and fold in back and thru swings and elbows pointed out inhibit this motion. Left elbow pointing at the target is a very common flaw and can cause some elbow issues.

I am starting to believe that nothing really matters as long as the club functions as a golf club should. Freddy's left elbow points toward the target.

Last edited:
Does grip type matter?

Hmm... I kind of thought that the left elbow position was pretty much dictated by the type of grip. Both Azinger and Couples have strong left hand grips which makes me think it makes the elbow point more toward the target. Weak left hand tends to have elbow pointed more at the hips. Yes? No?

Of course, you can always manipulate the elbow position no matter what the grip type, but my own experimentation shows this does not yield consistent results.

Dariusz J.

Hmm... I kind of thought that the left elbow position was pretty much dictated by the type of grip. Both Azinger and Couples have strong left hand grips which makes me think it makes the elbow point more toward the target. Weak left hand tends to have elbow pointed more at the hips. Yes? No?

Of course, you can always manipulate the elbow position no matter what the grip type, but my own experimentation shows this does not yield consistent results.

Well, if this is true, left hand should be in a weak position while right in a strong one in order to have both elbows pointing in. Usually, both hands either are in a weak or a strong position - it would imply that only one elbow should point in. However, you brought an intersting point, JM.
I think what matters is how high/low are hands at address. If the shaft position at address is closer to Elbow Plane the more both elbows are pointing in; the lower are the hands (on Hands Only Plane) the more the elbows are sticking out. But it's just a guess from my part.

Cheers

Last edited:
Surely if your grip is correct and your address tilt is correct, and everything is in alignment to the target, it follows your elbows will be in the correct position...

Status
Not open for further replies.