equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys,
there arent many places on the web to discuss without advertising or bias the best gear out there to use.

what grips,irons,shafts, drivers, balls or anything do you use and why?

PS.brian,if you have contracts with(for example taylor made)who would disaprove(or if you disaprove) of this thread please remove it.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Cleveland Comp Driver with Aggressive Golf N-Rage shaft
Infinity XS 3 wood with Accra fairway wood shaft
Nike T-40 Tour 5 wood with diamana blueboard
Nickent 3 hybrid (their first version)
Titleist 775cbs 4-GW (off a 48* wedge) with X100s
Callaway X-Tour 58* with MD grooves

My wedges go 48, 53, 58

Golf advertising

There are only so many definable physical properties that a golf club can have and be objectively quantifiable.

eg:- dimensions, mass, clubhead MOI, COG, Thickness of face variation etc.

Some of these are clearly related to performance eg MOI and COG and Variable face thickness... others such as mass are a personal preference.

It would be nice to know from the manufacturers exactly which of thes objective parameters has significantly increased from model to model to explain why the model "alphabet - numeral " is better than last years " alphabet -numeral minus 1"

Is the X-18 better than X-14 , G5 better than G3 in any significant performance parameter?? a bit higher MOI score is worth less than a shot a decade in real life...

Car manufacturers gladly record their stats to show progress... golf manufacturers explain things qualitatively and only dabble in MOI stats occasionally - there is no significant performance enhancement between 4900 MOI and 4700 MOI...

I hope this forum doesn't turn out like those other forums dominated by 'what's in the bag' bragging.

Start rant...
The golf business is all about selling clubs to the public. The average golfer knows almost nothing about clubs and the manufacturers know this. When Joe/Jane Average goes to buy, say, a set of irons, the first thing he/she looks at is the back of the clubhead. This is why manufacturers put all sorts of different colors, shapes, buttons and the like in the cavity. They call it 'Visable Technology' but if you hit the ball on the sweet spot it makes little difference. It's just like fishing tackle, only they are out to catch the green out of your wallet. Reel you in, sucker! If golfers spent a little money on lessons from real deal pros they wouldn't feel the need to buy so many pimped up clubs.
...end rant.

I am a novice at the game. So I purchased a set of "Top Flight" clubs from Target.

I looked up the manufacturer of the company and they are made by the same company that produces Callaway clubs.

I haven't tried other clubs except a Callaway driver and a Big Bertha Driver.

My driver that I use now is an Adams Golf Redline 9.5 degree with a Pro Force 75 shaft it seems to be good for me. The irons are the Top Flights that I bought.

I like Callaway and Nike balls.

Currently(changing soon)

Driver: SMT Spectrum 9* 1* open face, wright golf shaft S flex tipped a lot, 44 inches

3 wood: orilimar trimetal 15* UST IROD hybrid X

Irons: Top flite tour 3-p(48*) 1/2 inch long, 1* up, S300 tipped extra

Wedges: mizuno mp wedges 60* and 54*, same specs as irons

Changing to:

Same driver, Innovative UFO 2.2 X flex tipped 1" extra, 44 inches

Same 3 wood

Irons: Mizuno Pro 2 3-p irons, same measurement specs, x100 shafts, tipped a little bit extra

Wedges: We'll see

Woods will/are weighted to D7 and Irons will be weighted to E1

Status
Not open for further replies.