Ernie Els comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the most recent issue of Golf for Women mag(yes I read that too!), Ernie Els was quoted as saying that the left arm, club and shoulder control the takeaway, and that the right arm should be passive. Guess he doesn't believe in right forearm pickup. Curious as to your thoughts on this.

The Right Forearm Take-Away is a TGM exclusive. The shoulder turn take-away, low and slow, is widely taught. And no doubt, being a Swinger, he has an inert right arm and feels that the rhythm of his left arm- acc#4 and keen extensor action as key -both up and down.

But what Ernie feels and does might be two different things.
Els always talks about a "one piece" take-away- few if anyone really has a one piece take-away save, perhaps, a man in a body cast. Els has a classic two piece take-away. Always has. I know he feels the left shoulder starting the move but much like a lower gear on a truck, stops moving the club after a few inches. Ernie sets his wrist very quickly. If you watch him, he bends his right wrist in the TGM classic cord pull before his hands past his right thigh. He brings that right arm up and back and (very) in almost immediately after the right hand bend. He looks like he has a wonderful RFT after the initial push of the left shoulder and incredible rhythm in that left arm into impact.

Agree that there is a big difference between feel and real. I certainly can't control my backswing with left arm alone - I can't even brush my teeth with my left hand. My own preferred feel is both arms swinging the club up the plane. As long as club goes up on plane and is set in proper position at the top, does it make a difference which arm feels in control?

I was very much a right arm takeaway person in the past, as in the past I believe that if I am using the right arm to push I can maintain the triangle better. As well as making my wrist more passive.....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Let me say this:

You CAN NOT just swing the arms back to a normal top of the backswing position.

YOU CAN'T!

Something HAS TO lift.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Let me say this:

YOU CAN'T!

Something HAS TO lift.

Obviously the club swings UP as well as around. My question is this: does it make any difference which arm FEELS in control as long as you're in the correct position at the top?

quote:Originally posted by self-mastery

bends or lifts, but can't you do this with momentum and without any thought??

I certainly hope so because my pro says I already think too much!

quote:Originally posted by ryantiff

Oztrainee, what do you want to say? What happens now? Is rft unable to make a passive wrist?

Now, is more like FORWARD PRESS, and I think is more like the right arm, and as just like what they say, the right elbow lift as well.

Now, the question is can the pivot itself can do the job?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Let me say this:

YOU CAN'T!

Something HAS TO lift.

Yup, the right elbow folding does.

Does that clear up anyone's fog?

Status
Not open for further replies.